quark vs indesign

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Harold_Medina

quark vs indesign

Post by Harold_Medina » 05 Nov 2010, 09:24

Nice thread.
If the question is which program is superior over the other, then this thread will have a thousand replies, as both programs has it's pros and cons. It doesn't hurt to learn new things (except the cost of course), in fact, that's what I love most, but you don't have to totally migrate to ID if the reason is "InDesign is going to beat out of Quark." The competitions are great and to the user-end advantage. I am using Quark for more than 10 years, started from v4, and I'm using InDesign when it 1st released in CS. I used both programs and I don't think of dropping one off. If I think a project workflow works better in Quark, then I'll stick with Quark. If it is better than ID, then, I'll do inID. I rely mostly on ID on highly design projects. But that doen't mean, ID has the edge on highly design books. It just works for me. The bottom line is, as the user learned from both product, the user will decide what fits best.
-- H

eyoungren

quark vs indesign

Post by eyoungren » 05 Nov 2010, 10:14

I have been accused of being a die-hard Quark fan, but in this case I believe that if you are waiting for Quark you may be waiting a while. Whether it's a new versions or an update to v8.x I don't see this integration soon. I've been wrong before, but I don't think I am now.
InDesign has this now if you cannot afford to wait.
I am assuming you are speaking from a corporate perspective where the decision to move to ID or not is locking you in for a few years.

Harold_Medina

quark vs indesign

Post by Harold_Medina » 05 Nov 2010, 10:25

eyoungren wrote:I have been accused of being a die-hard Quark fan

Is that not the case? [;)] just kidding...

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

quark vs indesign

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 05 Nov 2010, 10:46

Hi acook,
as you probably know, EPUB as a format has some major design and layout limitations in its current manifestation. Which is understandable if you look at its initial prime target, text-based books, and is also totally sufficient for text-based books.
And of course Quark sees EPUB as a very important standard for books (and maybe in future also interactive media) and therefore we are working on an EPUB export. Please see also here (including a roadmap): http://dynamicpublishing.quark.com/digitalpublishing/

And please see this for a glimpse of EPUB's future: p/22962/96683.aspx#96683

If you need EPUB out of QuarkXPress today, here's your solution: http://www.easypress.com/products/aqpep/overview.epml. In the near future you'll have a standard export out of QuarkXPress.
Should you want to participate in a pre-release test, please send me an email using the contact button above this post.
Thanks
Matthias

eyoungren

quark vs indesign

Post by eyoungren » 05 Nov 2010, 10:47

LOL! Yes, yes it is. You can thank almaink for that accusation.[:D] In fact I remind him often enough of it, right almaink (if you're out there)?

eyoungren

quark vs indesign

Post by eyoungren » 05 Nov 2010, 10:51

You're slipping Matthias! [:O] Normally, that would have been an instantaneous response! Two hours, 46 minutes. Tsk, tsk![:D]

Emma

quark vs indesign

Post by Emma » 04 Dec 2012, 23:58

Being stuck in the dark ages with Quark 8.5.1, does anyone more up to date know if Quark have added captions? This is a really useful feature for me in InDesign, along with its powerful search and replace.

eyoungren

quark vs indesign

Post by eyoungren » 05 Dec 2012, 03:05

I don't think so Emma. At least it's not a topic I've heard promoted lately.
BTW, heavy user of the search feature now. I'm shocked that that is now how I format text as it's not the way I've always done it. But it works and it works well.

Return to “Sofa Threads”