Quark's marketing silliness

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 30 Mar 2005, 08:49

If you have not received any cards in the mail, check out this website that details the InDesign/Quark battle. His article about the latest Quark marketing campaign is a true gem.

http://quarkvsindesign.com/news/archive ... -the-edge/

willmark

Post by willmark » 01 Apr 2005, 15:06

While I like the irreverence I have to wonder just what they were thinking. Did anyone expect Quark to be taken serious about the things that are crowing about? I mean for good grief InDesign has had mutiple undos since 1.0 if Im not mistaken, 1.5 had them if I remember.. Quarks crowing about their undoes is hollow at best.

longtimedesigner

Post by longtimedesigner » 01 Apr 2005, 21:17

"Powerful design tools that other layout software can only dream about"

Really? What would other layout software only "dream about?"

Layers
Multiple undos
PSD import

InDesign dreamt those features up (and implemented them) long before Quark COPIED Adobe. "Silly" is right.

:roll:

Tim OConnor

Post by Tim OConnor » 02 Apr 2005, 13:33

So...... I guess since this thread ran out of steam on the Indesign forums, it is time to flog the dead horse over hear?

I guess the lull created by the impending "Tiger release" and/or the impending "Creative Suite 2" release, is giving Indesign addict too much free time.

By all means, flog that dead horse.... Quark's marketing has never really been relevant anyway...

longtimedesigner

Post by longtimedesigner » 02 Apr 2005, 20:07

Speaking of "irrelevancy," nice post Tim.

It's not a dead topic. That ad campaign is a current event. It's designed to impact the global page layout environment. People who are interested in the goings on within the design community rightfully discuss such things.

If you don't believe people should be discussing the battle between page layout applications and related topics, you can always STFU yourself. That would reduce the number of statements addressing the issue (both by you and the responses you solicit).

However, it seems you'd rather engage the topic while criticizing others who do so.

Go figure.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 03 Apr 2005, 20:27

What is this topic doing over on the Adobe forums? That seems insane. This is a Quark thing. I'll have to go check those forums out.

Who has too much free time? :lol:

willmark

Post by willmark » 04 Apr 2005, 07:15

[quote:4d3720a301]Quark's marketing has never really been relevant anyway...

Generally Tim I would agree about Quark's Marketing, but not this time. Take a long hard look as to what Quark was trying to promote in those mailings. At best they were misleading, at worst they border on flat out lying to the customer. If you look at the one about multiple undoes it would lead one to believe that ID has no undoes while Quark can undo everything, which as we all know is far from the case. We are all aware of what Xpress can and cannot do. Nor am I fixated with the undo situation either, its one small thing in the big picture

I'm not going to rehash either programs short comings or strengths, but simply say this: If youre going to slam a competitor make sure you have your facts straight before you do it.

Tim OConnor

Post by Tim OConnor » 04 Apr 2005, 10:52

Hey Willmark... longtime no chat...

I do agree with most of your point, however, as I have long maintained, going back years on the oldQuark forums...

What marketing in Denver {or whereever in India, doesn't matter} means nothing to the established Graphics community. If your existing workflow uses Quark, you will likely buy the next version.

If you know nothing and are just getting into the business or have lived under a rock for more than a decade, then the allegations in said ppostcards may inflate your expectations of Quark's feature set compared to its competition.

If you are like many who seem to enjoy prolonging the "I hate Quark/Quark can do nothing right" arguements.... well, what is there left to say. You and I have never completely agreed on much but we have never been that far apart either... {Jim too, actually, }

Just seems to me that since these forums have returned, there are only two types of threads... "How do I make this problem work... with an almost instant advertisment for ID" or "Here is what's wrong with Quark today... Why won't everyone just switch to Indesign already...}

Little of the humour and commeradery of the past seems to have returned. Few of the treads, I have read, arguing Indesign contain any real debate, just rehashing the same old complaints, usually by the same cast of characters...{myself included}.

I, myself, never argued "Pro-Quark" as much as against the often ludicous cliams of early ID proponents..{ID CS being the 1rst version widely accepted by the non-fanatical public}

Our shop had planned a total switch to Indesign, which started about a year and a half ago. 3 large corporate clients and a handfull of international vendors have made a total switch impossible. Quark 4.11 is alive and well and is not going anywhere fast.

That coupled with this inceasent need to compare every indesign feature to some failure on Quark's behalf, demonstrates that Xpress has not been "Killed" yet. Quark's marketing could not buy that kind of publicity...

The postcard campaign looks pretty childish, but the only people getting bent outta shape are those who have been screaming about a "Quark Killer" for half a decade.

If these threads did not keep crying about it, the campaign would probably failed to generate any buzz at all and its creators would have been shown the door.

There are probably some people who would buy QuarkXpress based soley on recieving those postcards, but I wouldn't worry about them as competition... and since, I believe, they were only sent to existing users, seems a bit like preaching to the converted anyway...

longtimedesigner

Post by longtimedesigner » 04 Apr 2005, 11:24

Regardless of Tim's usual whining about anyone who is critical of Quark (the company or its software), discussing the marketing campaigns of competing products is a legitimate topic. Discussing a company and its products, and criticism of the company and its products are what happens on any company's website and related websites for nearly every company and product for which a forum exists.

The legitimacy of the topic is notedly acute when an ad campaign (particularly regarding software which is used by the advertising community) is so negative and misleading toward the competition.

So, why is Tim always bitching and moaning about people who legitimately criticize Quark as if it's an affront to him personally?

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 04 Apr 2005, 11:49

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif">%20[strong]Tim%20OConnor:[/strong]...That%20coupled%20with%20this%20inceasent%20need%20to%20compare%20every%20indesign%20feature%20to%20some%20failure%20on%20Quark's%20behalf,%20demonstrates%20that%20Xpress%20has%20not%20been%20"Killed[/img]
You should check out the new X-Ray magazine where Quark authors cite InDesign incessantly, as if they have a need to defend Quark. Adobe could not buy that kind of publicity...

The issue about comparing Quark and InDesign was brought up by Quark in their advertisement. Why did they specifically cite 'Adobe' if we should not be comparing applications?

If you read the article on the web site, you will see the responses that the advertising campaign has generated in the industry. I did not mention the campaign here to continue a tired discussion. I mentioned it because it was a good archive of a previous discussion. It is at your option if you want to continue beating a dead horse.

Return to “Sofa Threads”