Things we like about Quark!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
destalk

Post by destalk » 17 Nov 2004, 03:15

I know it's a controversial point, but I quite like QuarkXpress 6. For example, considering how slow many other OS X applications were when they were converted from OS 9, Xpress runs comparatively quickly - and there are no G5s in my studio yet.

Don't get me wrong, I could give you a list as long as my arm about things I dislike about Quark. But, just to get some perspective on the subject, I thought I would see what other people thought were positives about the new release.

Any takers? :wink:

84optima

Post by 84optima » 17 Nov 2004, 03:20

DeviceN is now supported, but i still had to think about the question for a while

Linda

Post by Linda » 19 Nov 2004, 00:14

I like that in spite of new features, it's still the comfortable workhorse I've learned to use in my sleep.

-Linda :mrgreen:

destalk

Post by destalk » 19 Nov 2004, 00:54

I can relate to that. One of the things I do like about Quark is that they don't put out upgrades every 6 months. And when they do, they tend to add features that are useful, rather than bloating the interface with stuff that nobody ever uses. How many times have Adobe and Macromedia changed the interface to their products? I've lost count.

Of course I'm trying really hard here not to make any negative comments, about how long it takes Quark to fix their bugs. Whoops too late.

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 19 Nov 2004, 02:50

[strong]destalk:[/strong]One of the things I do like about Quark is that they don't put out upgrades every 6 months.

6.0? 6.1? 6.5?

Are we not concerned that Quark has put out so many upgrades in the past year? What other software company puts out so many upgrades? Macromedia and Adobe certainly have never had a 6-month upgrade cycle. Why would you assume they did?

I do like the fact that Quark can recognize that their software is flaky and can offer so many updates for free.

[strong]destalk:[/strong]How many times have Adobe and Macromedia changed the interface to their products? I've lost count.

I count once each since they sued each other for UI patent violations.

I sense fuzzy math from destalk.

destalk

Post by destalk » 19 Nov 2004, 03:16

[quote=10:77a94c9187]I think it's important not to confuse an upgrade with an update/bugfix/call it what you want.

Illustrator has changed it's tool layout at least three times since version 5.0. To a lesser degree Photoshop. But then Photoshop had a complete overhall of the way it used layers between versions 3-5. InDesign hasn't been around long enough. But my main 'issue' with Adobe's 'consistency between all it's packages', is that often there is no consistency. For example, Command + D in InDesign, places a file, In Illustrator and Photoshop you have to go to the File menu. Moreover, I don't want my drawing package, or my Photo-imaging software to behave like a layout package, just for the sake of Adobe's brand identity. They are different for a reason.

Which brings us back to Quark and it's image editing program, that appears to be missing from the latest update. Oh, hang about, were being nice to Quark here. C'mon, I'm scraping the barrel here foks, somebody say something nice about Quark.[/size:77a94c9187]

Tom Owens

Post by Tom Owens » 19 Nov 2004, 06:50

How many times have Adobe and Macromedia changed the interface to their products? I've lost count.

That's something I've always loved about Quark: It's simple interface. It does quite a lot, and there are many features that you can use if you need to, but if you're just typesetting and doing layout it's so clean (interface wise) and fast.

I've always loved that.

Regards,
Tom

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 19 Nov 2004, 07:39

[strong]destalk:[/strong]I think it's important not to confuse an upgrade with an update/bugfix/call it what you want.

But no software company has released an upgrade every 6 monthsas you might think. We may have become dulled to the upgrade game because Quark has not improved their software for so long. Comparitively, the upgrades for other applications must have seemed like they happened each week.

If we appreciate the same old interface, Quark 6 is not really an upgrade then: it is a bug fix for the program so that it can run on OSX. I am certain that if OSX was not an issue, most of us would continue to be happy in QuarkXPress 4. Layers, tables and PSD import have long been done in Quark 4 with the right third party XTs.

The consistency of interface is the last thing I worry about with my design tools. Loving such a longstanding interface is like loving a single No. 2 pencil. I prefer to have a few extra pencils in my box.

v BONES v

Post by v BONES v » 19 Nov 2004, 10:49

But don't you think that one of the main reasons Quark achieved such a large user base was that there was no need to keep upgrading?

Quark 3.32 went on forever, and most users are still using 4.1!

in the same period, Illustrator is now version 11 and Photoshop is version 8!

All those extra numbers cost money.

Tom Owens

Post by Tom Owens » 19 Nov 2004, 11:27

I still think that's what totally killed Corel Draw. A new version every single year. People got sick of it. I remember how long Photoshop 4 lasted. Now it's every year. As is every Adobe product now. I mean really...with the exception of a few filters and some web output options, Illustrator and Photoshop have never really changed since version 6 and 4 respectively.

They're on 11 & 8 folks.

Regards,
Tom

Return to “Sofa Threads”