QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Claire Dove

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Claire Dove » 22 Jun 2004, 12:42

My company currently uses pagemaker 6.5. They are looking at quarkxpress vs pagemaker from adobe. Has anybody used both programs and if so what are the pros and cons of each. I would like to have some back-up when talking with my administrators about their choices. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 22 Jun 2004, 13:32

I don't believe that Adobe is continuing to develope Pagemaker at all. So in that light, the choice is clearly in Quark's favour.

The bigger questions are if you are stuck in OS9 for the forseeable future or is OS X happening. If you are stuck in 9, Staying in Pagemaker has no cost other than the acceptance of your files at printers and service bureaus. Might be hard finding never versions of Quark4.

That out of the way, OS X offers choice in Pagelayout migration. Quark 6 and Indesign both offer up-to-date versions with thier own pros and cons. Mutli-Ad Creator is still alive and kicking too, but not very wide spread.

I guess more info from you on what your company produces, its workflow and if film/CTP is done in house, would help us frame a recomendation

willmark

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by willmark » 22 Jun 2004, 14:04

I've had quite a bit of experience in this area, but Tim is right we need to know way more then you are telling us. Are you on a PC or Mac? Would be helpful. Are you the one making the decsion or are others , flavor of OS, etc...

Jim Oblak

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Jim Oblak » 22 Jun 2004, 16:59

Back-up? Grab some product availability information from the actual software vendors, not from folks from a forum. Compare the prices. Even though PageMaker is dead, the PM7 upgrade is going to be much cheaper than Quark. Even an upgrade from PM to InDesign will be cheaper than Quark.

Download the Quark demo from quark.com and the InDesign demo from adobe.com

As the user of the software, you should know how it works before you buy. One would be silly not to try a demo when it is available. Don't trust the comments of folks in a forum, trust the software that you have tested for at least a day or two.

Bill Detty

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Bill Detty » 22 Jun 2004, 17:43

May one ask, with trepidation, if you're considering InDesign? You might have less of a learning curve with it, and I think it opens PageMaker documents, though I don't know how well.

kenlasley

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by kenlasley » 22 Jun 2004, 21:19

I have to agree with Jim. Upgrading to InDesign CS would be much cheaper than upgrading to Quark 6. The learning curve would not be as different especially with the PM plug-ins for InDesign. You can open PM 6 to 7 fils with InDesign as well.

IMO, InDesign offers you a better solution.

Ken

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 23 Jun 2004, 00:10

Indesign is cheaper in the sense that it is effectivly given away with the Creative Suite if you are upgrading Photoshop. Adobe has been giving away versions of Indesign in one form or another since it was released as a Quark killer.

However, since you are breaking withthe past and leaving Pagemaker, the transition to another pagelayout app will be a big enough burden. Price does enter into it,but that is no reason why a successful migration to Quark can not be done.
Multi-Ad either.

Price is definitly in Adobe's favour, the CS upgrade deals are pretty much a no brainer, unless you just must have printed manuals, which you only get by purchasing CS Apps separately.

If your current workflow is Adobe only, why change... I would have to give the nod to Indesign in this case. Unless you don't like it, then the choice is yours.

Good advice was given earlier though... download the demos, try before you buy... and keep in mine... Everyone on a user forum has thier own axes to grind. Some want to sell you something, some don't. Decide for yourself, That is the only way to be truely happy.

Good Luck

Jim Oblak

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Jim Oblak » 23 Jun 2004, 15:57

Hmm... Adobe is not giving away InDesign as part of a bundle. I always imagined Illustrator was given away in the CS upgrades from Photoshop. Go figure.

Successful migration to Quark? How does Quark open PageMaker files? Don't you need to buy extra software for this?

Printed manuals can be purchased for Quark and InDesign if you did not purchase a package that came with them.

I use both Quark and InDesign and have a library of PageMaker documents to bring into the 21st century. I'm using InDesign for this task so that I do not need to waste any more cash on XTensions and conversion utilities.

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 23 Jun 2004, 18:17

Hands up anyone who actually paid full retail price for Indesign with the full knowledge of all the rebates, crossgrades, insentives and giveaways...
I'm sure plenty just picked up the phone or ordered online without researching.

I would not open Pagemaker files in anything unless absolutely necessary. Copy/past text from PM to anywhere and rebuild the pages, take a bit of effort but time is saved by not troubleshooting every file to death.

I should have said "which you only get by purchasing CS Apps separately or purchasing the manual separately. But at that point I would just by David Blatner's Books"

I have already conceeded that Indesign is probably the most logical choice here.
Is quibbling over details needed? Or is this going to be posted on Adobes forums as proof that Quark is dead... :? :?

Linda

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Linda » 23 Jun 2004, 19:53

:::raises hand:::

My copy of Photoshop LE was too old to qualify for the upgrade to the Suite.

The QuarkXPress crossgrade did not apply to the purchase of the Suite.

My licensed copies of Acrobat 4 and 6 did not apply to the purchase of the Suite, and did nothing to alleviate the full purchase price.

My licensed copy of Illustrator 8 did not apply to the purchase of the Suite, and did nothing to alleviate the full purchase price.

My licensed copy of PageMaker...

My licensed copy of FrameMaker...

You get the idea. I had to pay full Suite price, more than $1K U.S.D.

peace,
Linda 8)

Return to “Sofa Threads”