QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Jim Oblak

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Jim Oblak » 23 Jun 2004, 23:57

[strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]I would not open Pagemaker files in anything unless absolutely necessary. Copy/past text from PM to anywhere and rebuild the pages, take a bit of effort but time is saved by not troubleshooting every file to death.

There is no need for this kind of masochist design in the 21st century. This is more than a bit of effort. InDesign easily opens PageMaker files and alerts you to any conversion issues with kerning/tracking. You will not get these kinds of notifications by manually copying contents from one app to another, page by page. I would not envy anyone with enough time to do all of the copying/pasting that Tim suggests.

The only detail that I would quibble over is that Quark is clearly not a good program to migrate your library of PageMaker files to. It should not even be a consideration for a library of PageMaker files.

Manually copying and pasting content from PageMaker to another application is absurd. Does anyone really do this?

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 24 Jun 2004, 01:32

Nothing in the original post suggests migration of libraries... Bill mentions opening Pagemaker files in passing in Post 5. You are making an issue out of something for nothing.

I would not even suggest reusing Quark files that are more than a couple of years old. Definitly not pre Quark3 anyway. Never mind the tech glitches, I built files poorly back then due to lack of experience. A decade is a long time...

Building new artwork is what most of us get paid for. If you are just recycling old files. Buy Pagemaker 7 and don't change, or keep using 6.5 as long as you can get the files outputed.

Any company wasting time by converting entire libraries that may or may not ever be used again, desearves it own fate... :?

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 24 Jun 2004, 01:40

Linda, I know you are not fanning flames...

Sorry to hear your dilema, there are, of course always exceptions. Occasionally, failing to upgrade puts you out of the next verion loop. I was not aware that you could not go from Illy 8 to the CS version. Individual Apps can be bought as upgrades according to Adobe's rules. Unfortunatly, the Photoshop Upgrade to the entire suite is the most economical. Having only the LE version block you out.

Anyone in the Business should have a full verion of Photoshop though, It is expensive but worth every penny. {non-judgemental advice}

kenlasley

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by kenlasley » 24 Jun 2004, 07:25

I will not complain about my pricing at all. I joined the ASN (Adobe Service Providers Network) and believe me it was well worth the yearly fee.

Anyone running a printing service can become eligible. I would suggest checking into it.

Ken

Jim Oblak

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Jim Oblak » 24 Jun 2004, 07:55

[strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]Nothing in the original post suggests migration of libraries... Bill mentions opening Pagemaker files in passing in Post 5. You are making an issue out of something for nothing.

Making an issue? Let's not be absurd again. Nothing in the original post suggests that the person intends to discard all of their previous work.

The whole idea behind DTP is that you can constantly update your work. We are no longer bound by awkward pieces of paper waxed onto artboard. Tim seems to be advocating the pains of physical paste up by suggesting complete recreation of documents. This is not how it has to be. But it is completely understandable for a Quark drone.

This is why a serious designer needs to be well aware of all software options out there. - - - I'm not endorsing any particular application but simply stating that there is a clear alternative to copying and pasting into Quark or any other application.

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 24 Jun 2004, 10:41

I've already said Indesign is the better choice in this case... why can't you take Yes for an answer.....

This the kind of crap that makes the Adobe boards so unattractive...

and those that know me, know that I am hardly a Quark drone.

Jim Oblak

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Jim Oblak » 24 Jun 2004, 11:52

Tim, please do not misunderstand me: I'm not calling you a drone. I'm not debating anything about the software you have recommended. There is no need for you to repeat yourself unless it is to correct something that you said.

I'm simply stating that the copy/paste workflow that you have suggested is a really slow and inefficient way to work. If this techniques suits you, more power to you. There is no reason for you to become defensive about your posts. I'm starting to get a whiff of the crap on this forum from certain individuals' posturing, so Adobe's forums are not unique.

Tisha Biondy

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tisha Biondy » 24 Jun 2004, 12:51

So let me get this straight...if I upgrade my PS7.0 to CS for $169.00, I'll get a full version of InDesign for FREE?

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 24 Jun 2004, 12:56

The only copy/paste I mentioned is to export text to a raw format, Text Text, Simple Text, Word, whatever, so that the user does not have to retype. Reset, yes, Retype, no.

Starting fresh builds better files, old code can survive and become incompatible.

Tim OConnor

QuarkxPress vs pagemaker

Post by Tim OConnor » 24 Jun 2004, 13:01

Tisha, I don't know the current price, but I doubt it is only $169.

Your licenced version of Photoshop 7 entitles you to the upgrade price for the entire Adobe Creative suite, which includes Indesign. Adobe.com will tell you the details. If you compare that cost to upgrading Ps, Illy, Acrobat etc, separately. then yes it looks as if you are getting Id free. particuarly if you did not have ID to start with.

Keep in mind that arguement can be used to say you are actually getting one of the other components free, instead. Details can be spun in any direction, but it is always in a circle.

Return to “Sofa Threads”