Bloody disgrace

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
aspro

Bloody disgrace

Post by aspro » 09 Jun 2004, 11:41

When i buy a product for 1300 i would expect it work straight out of the box.

Fonts go missing - PDF export absolutley refuses to work - And the thing that realy pisses me off NO MANUALS.

If i was to spend 1300 on a new HiF, i could galmost uarentee it would work and work well at that.

I now wish i had invested my money with adobe. Fair enough no manuals but i get the feeling it would have worked well.

COME ON QUARK SORT IT OUT.

Rhea

Bloody disgrace

Post by Rhea » 09 Jun 2004, 12:17

Aspro if you can make with electronic manuals, these manuals are installed with the program in the "QuarkXPress' folder. May be you can find what you need at the moment rather than... :roll:

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 09 Jun 2004, 16:20

Does anyone try the freely downloadable demos before they drop so much money? Half of the problems listed here might be solved before a pound was spent if a demo version was tested.

adrian

Bloody disgrace

Post by adrian » 09 Jun 2004, 16:44

The sad truth is this company has always been woefully inadequate in it's customer service. No wonder adobe is making inroads in market share. Dang! they're annoying...

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 10 Jun 2004, 00:47

This does not seem to be a Quark vs. Adobe matter. InDesign does not come with printed manuals either.

However, it is true that Adobe may have a better deal here where you can buy the entire Creative Suite for the same cost as Quark alone.

rick james

Bloody disgrace

Post by rick james » 10 Jun 2004, 04:16

I think the no manual thing is a general way now for software vendors to go, pdf distribution is the way to do it and then get your David Blatner types to write the real manuals and actually print publish them and then get people like us who have to administer/troubleshoot the software to buy them.

aspro

Bloody disgrace

Post by aspro » 10 Jun 2004, 05:58

my point is 1300 is alot of dough and for that i would expect the product to work perfectly out of the box.

I know InDesign doesn't come with manuals which i kind off except as it is reflected in the price.

The main reason i have bought quark is that like a nasty rash it has managed to infect all our clients desktops and printing companies.

As far as i can see quark has the lions share of the market yet continues to loose new customers like me because the first product they supply doesn't work well.

Yes they got 1300 out of me this time but it won't happen again.

nyght

Bloody disgrace

Post by nyght » 10 Jun 2004, 06:09

In my opinion Quark must be the worst product I have ever seen! :x
Practically No Support, it's impossible to search for information in the technical database that's actually of any use and upgrading from 4.1 to 6.1 has caused more problems than I originally had!! Why oh Why didn't I try the demo first!! :roll:

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 10 Jun 2004, 11:26

aspro, keep in mind that Quark 4 is the 'lion's share', not Quark 6. Quark 6 is just as new as InDesign CS. Don't believe that Quark 6 is more popular than another design app. Hang on to those Quark 4 licenses but realize that Quark 6 is not part of that lion's share.

Streak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Streak » 10 Jun 2004, 11:55

O.K. Aspro. Let's get to the real issues here. You mentioned some problem with missing fonts and the PDF feature. Could you tell me exactly what is happening, if you are getting any error messages? Are these documents originating in QuarkXPress 6 or are these from the previous versions? Exactly what operating system are you using? Any font management?

Return to “Sofa Threads”