Bloody disgrace

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
aspro

Bloody disgrace

Post by aspro » 10 Jun 2004, 14:26

OK

file : export : project to PDF

when selected quark goes nothing what so ever !

So then i try creating a PS file to then distil, but quark gets to about page 150 and comes up with the message 'cannot open printer [63]'

pr9000

Bloody disgrace

Post by pr9000 » 10 Jun 2004, 15:25

So ...

1) how many pages is the document/book?

2) have you tried creating, say, a PDF of pages 1-50? or sending that range out to a .ps file?

3) in making the .ps file, can you pinpoint the exact page where it quits? if so, try disabling images on that page and send it out by itself. if it goes ... then it's an image. if it doesn't, then something else is going on -- so try deleting all the text on that page, keeping the images, and sending that page out again.

reigen

Bloody disgrace

Post by reigen » 10 Jun 2004, 15:46

I also am experiencing weird font problems and everytime I try to delete a page, Quark crashes! It's truly annoying. Where does Quark read it's fonts? In Quark 4 I have no problems so I kept my laptop on Quark 4 and System 9. I HATE System X with a purple passion. I was blaming all these problems on System X becuause there are soooo many places where fonts are stored.

Any ideas?

pr9000

Bloody disgrace

Post by pr9000 » 10 Jun 2004, 15:58

you should send those error messages to the tech support team at quark. i'm sure they'd love to see it.

Linda

Bloody disgrace

Post by Linda » 11 Jun 2004, 10:06

Reigen,

Try reading these PDF -- they will help you with understanding OS X and its font handling.

http://www.apple.com/pro/pdf/MigrateMacOSX.pdf

http://www.ideasdtp.com/PDFs/OSX_FontManagement.pdf

What about OS X do you hate?

peace,
Linda :)

PC Graphics Report

Bloody disgrace

Post by PC Graphics Report » 11 Jun 2004, 19:52

When all is said and done, this does seem to be user error. There are thousands of people using this application on a daily basis very successfully. If OSX has peculiar font technologies this is not a Quark issue. As to making a PDF, it works for everyone else, so something else is going on. If the articles mentioned previously do not fix your problems, maybe you could be a little more specific about your setup and exactly what it is you are trying to do, and then maybe we can help.
I suspect that either the length of your file is an issue, with hard drive space, or just PostScript is bogging down on the amount of data it is trying to create at one time. The suggestion of splitting the file into chunks is very sound, and I would suggest Adobe users do the same thing.
John

Linda

Bloody disgrace

Post by Linda » 11 Jun 2004, 22:46

[quote=11:2440dc3899]I can say for Adobe CS Pro suite: $1200, no manuals. It comes in a large enough box, but inside are some papers and a DVD-type case housing 5 CDs -- no manuals. [img]emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
[/size:2440dc3899]

PC Graphics Report

Bloody disgrace

Post by PC Graphics Report » 11 Jun 2004, 23:00

If you buy the Adobe Suite you get no manuals, but if you buy the individual applications then you get the books, but to buy the whole suite individually cost a lot more. You can buy the printed manuals separately for the suite, just as you can for XPress. With both companies, they do supply PDF manuals with any version of the software. Apparently, about half of all users do not ever open the printed books, consequently we get the expression RTFM.
John

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 12 Jun 2004, 08:31

The printed manuals come with the individual Adobe packages because there is a higher retail price on the individual units. The Creative Suite, which costs less than the individual products combined does not include the printed manuals. If you own the Creative Suite, you can order printed books separately. Ordering these printed books may push you close to the price you would have paid if you bought each application separately.

John, what does RTFM mean?

PC Graphics Report

Bloody disgrace

Post by PC Graphics Report » 12 Jun 2004, 23:07

Actually the Adobe user guides are very reasonable ($49) much like Quarks ($45)The Adobe manuals are for all the CS products. So the price diferential for the Suite is still much better.

RTFM= Read the F****** Manual, an expression often used by people in tech support after they hang up. Amazingly 80% of all support calls are to be found in the manuals.

John

Return to “Sofa Threads”