Bloody disgrace

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
PC Graphics Report

Bloody disgrace

Post by PC Graphics Report » 30 Jun 2004, 19:11

I've been done so many times, I am beyond shame.
As a memory jog, how about Pixel Paint Pro, Color Studio and Image Studio?

longtimedesigner

Bloody disgrace

Post by longtimedesigner » 30 Jun 2004, 21:05

Which program was the one which substituted a low-res proxy image to edit, memorized all edits, then applied the edits to the main image on command? I tried that one out in the early '90s. It was FASTER than PhotoShop by far while working with it. You could spin the proxy of a 20 meg image around, live on a IICX (something which would completely stagger PhotoShop).

It didn't have as much functionality as PhotoShop. And overall, you had to let your computer process the edits. There wasn't a lot of time saved in the long run. I'm not sure if it's one of the ones you mentioned. It had some, "wow factor" at the time. If I remember correctly, they wanted about $900 for it. At least they had a trial offer, so I never got stuck buying it.

I think it found a flock of dodo birds somewhere. It's so extinct, the name doesn't even come to mind.

PC Graphics Report

Bloody disgrace

Post by PC Graphics Report » 30 Jun 2004, 23:26

It was called Live Picture, and I had the privilege to be its product manager for a short time. It was really a great application, that never got the attention it could have deserved.

longtimedesigner

Bloody disgrace

Post by longtimedesigner » 30 Jun 2004, 23:31

Bingo! Live Picture. Now I'm enveloped with waves of nostalgia.

:D

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 01 Jul 2004, 07:33

Macromedia also offered xRes which edited proxy images. Maybe Photoshop might offer this feature in the future to truly put all other image editors to shame.

In terms of competition, I hope that other apps like CinePaint keep Photoshop on its toes. CinePaint offers higher bit support for high end film & video production. Photoshop seems wrapped up in only print and web graphics right now. It just started introducing video support with non-square pixels.

I also hope Quark does not flounder - There definitely needs to be competition.

andy.watts

Bloody disgrace

Post by andy.watts » 07 Jul 2004, 07:50

Although we have had a few minimal problems with Quark I have always found their (free) tec support to be very helpful, even to the point where they said they would include one of my suggestions in a future Quark update.

Now I am fully aware of the advantages of InDesign and that Quark really need to wake up to the fact that they could lose their share of the market to adobe but I must say that Adobe has really let me down when it came to support in the past.

After my company bought Acrobat they would give me no tech support whatsoever when trying to install the program straight out of the box and they demanded a fee of around 30 'per problem' before they would answer ANY questions, even if it was a yes or no answer. That left me with no choice but to scan their user forums where, every once in a while, an adobe representative with attitude would give cocky answers to anybody that even remotely criticised their progs.

So at the moment I would say theres not a lot of difference between Quark and ID when you look at the whole picture and I personally would not want to see Adobe have the monopoly so COME ON QUARK, SORT IT OUT BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!

Jim Oblak

Bloody disgrace

Post by Jim Oblak » 07 Jul 2004, 11:25

I just got off the phone with someone that was asking me for technical support. I could only wish that I had been able to charge a fee for my support services. It would have discouraged the frivolous call to me. I just wasted a half hour with someone that did not know how to navigate the folders on his computer.

The paid support programs that all major software publishers are providing are based on the fact that there are already plenty of free resources. There is a lot more intellect in the collective of users on forums than what a paid support technician can provide. Those paid support technicians are often reading technical documents that are available for free on the company's web site.

Try the forums again... just ignore the few cocky responses.

Tim OConnor

Bloody disgrace

Post by Tim OConnor » 07 Jul 2004, 13:06

Jim's got it.... and no offence to new users, we were all one once.

There are plenty of free resources out there. Plenty of retail 3rd party books that are cheaper than $$ tech support.

Most people I hear moaning about tech support are either new users who want some one to teach them for free or very experienced users with an ax to grind {usually because they did not like the answer they found}...

Sorry folk, if I am repeating my self. Software makers make software and charge money to let you use it. It is up to YOU to learn how to use it. Some companies used to offer unlimited free tech support until it became cost probitive.

Quark should not charge for help is there is a significant bug in the software, but if you are not bothering to look up how fonts work between OS X, Font Management and Quark... who's problem is that.

Software makers don't help by putting their manuals on PDF, but I'd rather read David Blatner than a Quark Manual anyway. Go to you printer/Service bureau, co-workers, User Forums...

Manufacturers will never openly admit their product is the problem until they have a new version to sell to you. Tech support is not usually manned by experienced users anyway, more often it is a data entry person sitting infront of a database, typing in your problem and reading an approved response. {Apologies to people who are exceptions to that rule}

kathy stephen

Bloody disgrace

Post by kathy stephen » 10 Jul 2004, 05:37

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]aspro:[/strong]When i buy a product for 1300 i would expect it work straight out of the box. Fonts go missing - PDF export absolutley refuses to work - And the thing that realy pisses me off NO MANUALS.

Yes, the no manual part annoyed me no end - and the online help is poor.

But Aspro, I hope I can help you with your PDF exports - Xpress (Passport) quit every time i tried to export even a small doc as a pdf file.

You're on version 6? have you updated it (free) to 6,1? Well after that, go to preferences, then to PDF and allocate more memory in the box "virtual memory[/img]
The product is over priced, but here in France all prepress uses it, so there's no choice.

snooty1972

Bloody disgrace

Post by snooty1972 » 10 Jul 2004, 14:36

All I can add is make sure you hammer onto Quark's tech support about any problems you have with QuarkXPress 6.1. 6.2 is due out at some point so getting onto their tech support has get to be the best way of trying to get your PDF problems resolved.

To fly the Quark flag briefly, one thing they have always done is tried to fix any problems in the app. Remember QuarkXPress 4.0, Quark went through I don't know how many releases to get it into shape and eventually did at version 4.11. They might not always get the first release perfect (few software companies do) but so long as they think our problems are serious enough to address in point releases, I'm happy. The difficult thing is knowing at what point to make the upgrade i.e. when is the app ready. 6.1 is pretty good but 6.2 should (hopefully) be better.

Return to “Sofa Threads”