WOW! Forums are back--but worse!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Ira

Post by Ira » 18 Jun 2004, 13:58

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]pr9000:[/strong]from what i've heard, they were shown exactly one feature of Quark 7 running on a particularly buggy early-alpha version.

just to make it clear, they were not given (as in "handed to on a disk") Quark 7.

or if they were, i didn't get my copy. :shock: [/i]

PR...I think you're being a little picky by splitting hairs between the different verbages of "given[/img]
In addition, "They were shown exactly one feature of Quark 7 running on a particularly buggy early-alpha version."

????????????????

Judging by Quark's history, they're just about ready to release it!!!

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 18 Jun 2004, 14:15

Ira -- that's funny. :lol:

I attended the summit, and while it was incredibly worthwhile, I just wanted to make sure that others reading this forum didn't get the impression that we got beta copies of the software -- just trying to head off the inevitable misreading, and the confusion that would cause.

I try to refrain from ripping into Quark because I know people who work there, and I know they do care quite a lot about the quality of the product they make ... (most of them) are smart, passionate and dedicated.

I'm not trying to be an apologist here; I'm just trying to choose my words carefully, as I know Quark employees read this forum. They all deserve a swift kick in the ass for how the product works today, but I'm pretty sure that in a few weeks, we'll all have reasons to celebrate.

willmark

Post by willmark » 18 Jun 2004, 14:35

-pr9000

Are you trying to tell us that after going on average 3-5 years between upgrades that Quark is going to release a new version in less than a year after the previous one?

More like they will announce the new version officially, then it will be 1-3 years before it makes it out the door. Quark never comments publicly on timeframes and it takes years from the first time anyone sees anything till actual product on the shelves.

[quote:aff1a832eb]
I try to refrain from ripping into Quark because I know people who work there, and I know they do care quite a lot about the quality of the product they make ... (most of them) are smart, passionate and dedicated.

Rhetorical question:
If this is the case then how come EVERY version since 2.X has had problems? Quark 5 is what convinced me to move my department from Quark to ID. It ranks with Windows Me as one of the most colossal pieces of in the history of software.

Ira

Post by Ira » 18 Jun 2004, 14:35

Boy, PR--you have me real curious now!

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 18 Jun 2004, 14:42

let me burst some bubbles right now:

6.2 will fix most (if not all) the bugs. That's about it. There might be one or two cool new things thrown in there, but really, it's a maintenance release.

I can't say more, because I promised not to ... so feel free to inflate your "Quark 7 r0x0rs my s0x0rs" balloons with no discouragement from me. But take the air out of the "6.2 r00ls" ones, please ...

As for why Quark 4-6 have had so many issues ... man, that's a tough one. I could quote the old proverb "A fish rots from the head down" -- which I don't even know is actually true, but does speak for how corporations are run.

We all know about Fred E. and his "leadership" of the company ... but what I heard at the summit was a promise to listen to us again, to give us software that just works, and to do it in a more timely fashion.

Another reason why things have stunk lately is that QuarkXPress might be the product for which the company is named, but it seems to be just one of many (confusingly so) products they make. There's a lot of money in enterprise-wide solutions that can be sold to huge multinational corporations. And money talks, unfortunately.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 ...

Ira

Post by Ira » 18 Jun 2004, 14:49

Here's the main thing:

Let's say I want to be a trendsetter and immediately upgrade to Tiger.

Where is Q 6.2 going to leave me THEN?

It just seems like they're always a dime short and an hour late on EVERYTHING these days. They're constantly following--and agonizingly slowly, at that.

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 18 Jun 2004, 14:56

I'm guessing that 6.2 will work on Tiger ... my only caveat would be

FONTS MAY NOT WORK RIGHT AT FIRST

Because nobody outside Cupertino seems to understand how they work, and interact with the other apps ... But the Quark/Apple relationship, I think, is far stronger than it was a few years back, when Fred E. decided to tell us Mac users to take a long walk off a short pier, so Tiger shouldn't surprise Quark.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » 18 Jun 2004, 16:41

pr9000...hearing [I know, "seeing" [img]emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] ] what you have to say here, truely gives me hope. It's the only non-hyped bit optimisim I've heard in years with regard to qxp.

pr9000

Post by pr9000 » 18 Jun 2004, 20:18

well, you're not going to find too many people who know and enjoy this program as much as i do, and over the years, i've gotten quite a lot of insight into how the program works on a technical level (at least as far as troubleshooting goes).

i've had a LOT of experience troubleshooting 6.1 and i'm lucky to have had great guidance on the issues it causes ... you can find a great discussion of 6.2 on creativepro.com, from someone who attended the summit a few weeks back.

from what i see, 6.2 will fix all the major problems, and will introduce one incredible xtension (QuarkXClusive) that will move the variable data publishing industry in the way nothing has to this point ... yeah -- it's a killer app for VDP.

i, too, am not allowed to say what little i know about quark 7, but ... assuming that quark can clean up the various engines that drive the program (display, print, type) and make them quartz-friendly -- i don't see a reason why quark 7 on OS X won't be what quark 3.32 was in its heyday.

but it's all dependent on how well 6.2 fulfills its promise of fixing bugs. the state that 6.1 has left my company (and most others who use it daily) is nothing short of a major advertisement for adobe products. but i think the smart people at quark are acutely aware of this ... :wink:

Dee Holmes

Post by Dee Holmes » 19 Jun 2004, 19:00

What am I missing with the search engine? It's giving me everything that doesn't have to do with topic I wanted. :cry:

Return to “Sofa Threads”