SOFA: Quark Lite?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 06 Jun 2004, 17:11

Would it make any sense for Quark to offer a much cheaper, light version to the Microsoft Word and Publisher audience? Not everyone needs the over-priced complete QuarkXPress with cross-media publishing capabilities. What idiot is going to pay the SRP of $1,045 when there might be a better design application that sells for hundreds less? At a price like that, I could not imagine anyone being a new Quark user. I might only buy Quark 6 as an upgrade. How is Quark expecting to increase it's user base like that? Quark is already seeing its user base migrate to newer design software.

Maybe Quark can take a lead from Macromedia. Macromedia saw that its Dreamweaver and Flash applications were getting too many features for average users so they branched their product into Contribute/Dreamweaver and Flash/Flash Professional. QuarkXPress is not the light version of Passport.

myfavoriteletterisb

Post by myfavoriteletterisb » 07 Jun 2004, 10:41

If quark had a light version that was priced as low as word, then we would have even more clients thinking they can design their own logos/brochures/business cards, etc. It would be a nightmare. when speaking to clients about acrobat, just look at how many say they have adobe, just send them the file... and when they get it, they wonder why they cant do anything (because they only have the free reader, not the full version).

[quote:f43126f3ea]At a price like that, I could not imagine anyone being a new Quark user.

Thats what University programs are good for. They make it affordable to learn the software, then charge accordingly in a professional environment.

So, I would have to say thay in my opinion it would not make sense to offer a low priced light version. Although I do agree that seperating some of the features into modules would make good sense. A moderatley priced base app would be nice, with optional modules for more specialized work.

B

Jim Oblak

Post by Jim Oblak » 07 Jun 2004, 11:03

University programs?

I have worked in higher education and I have not seen a single university or community college moving to or maintaining QuarkXPress. Everyone I have come in contact with is using the much lower priced InDesign.

I purchased new licenses for the entire Adobe Creative Suite for a classroom for less than the cost of just outfitting them with QuarkXPress upgrades.

I would not count on the educational market to be a springboard for new Quark users.

myfavoriteletterisb

Post by myfavoriteletterisb » 07 Jun 2004, 11:16

Maybe their strategy is counting on us old schoolers to teach our minions. :?

I do like your idea about seperate modules. the software company I work for employs 2 designers, Myself for all the print side and someone else dedicated to all the web side. For that very reason, I do not use any of the HTML features, and could easily do without if it was an optional module.

B

Bill Detty

Post by Bill Detty » 07 Jun 2004, 12:32

I'm starting to get an impression that Quark's been deliberately blowing off the individual user/small creative firm/small business market in favor of multiuser vertical markets like book publishing and newspapers.

That could explain a lot of little things, from pricing to the choice of new features implemented.

Linda

Post by Linda » 07 Jun 2004, 18:35

But many, many book publishers USE those individual users as freelancers -- a far more economical alternative than housing users and paying Social Security tax, unemployment, health insurance, etc., on employees...

That's not to say I don't agree with you! I do. I know that I personally got blown off twice -- once in that my free manuals for v5 never, ever showed up, and twice in that I upgraded to v6 right away while others who waited ended up getting a half-price coupon for their upgrades (silly me for supporting Quark Inc. right away!).

I've made a living using XPress, so I'm not bashing the product! I am just disappointed that in the last year I've been "bit" by customer "service" twice.

peace,
Linda

Return to “Sofa Threads”