Long Live Quark Xpress!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
ReneG

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by ReneG » 04 Jun 2004, 13:01

Great answer Tim.

Bill Detty

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Bill Detty » 04 Jun 2004, 13:09

[strong]kenlasley:[/strong]Can you back those statistics up with real proof?

What statistics do you mean?

Rhea

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Rhea » 04 Jun 2004, 13:15

That was good one Tim 8)

kitmir

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by kitmir » 04 Jun 2004, 17:25

Indeed, InDesign is becoming so popular especially among designers. There have also been plenty of newspapers or publications going the InDesign way and the most common answer given by those I have asked was because of the restrictive cost of getting a Quark license and the poor support. On the other hand, Adobe had been giving good offers, including the killer IDCS offer. As for print bureaus, many of those I've met, including some in the Middle East, say while most of the jobs they get were made in Quark, they had to get their own copies of InDesign because they were experiencing a steady increase in InDesign files.

Oh, well, it may still not be too late. Quark 6 packaged with Macromedia MX is a lot better offer but will Quark do more? It would be good to know.

kenlasley

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by kenlasley » 04 Jun 2004, 20:20

Don't get me wrong. I would hate to see Quark lose its flagship program. Although I have moved on to InDesign. I do own service bureau and have to keep up to date with what I am provided. I am in Louisville, Kentuck which is usually behind in alot of ways, but I have seen a big move to InDesign in this area. I cannot account for other shops, but we do about 40% InDesign, 45% Quark 4.11 with the rest making up PM, Publisher, QX 5 and 6 and an occasional FrameMaker file.

I sincerely hope Quark improves.

Ken

Tim OConnor

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Tim OConnor » 05 Jun 2004, 00:50

I hope the entire software industry settles down so I can go back to making money creating artwork instead of ugrading evry few months or fixing permissions 12 times a day.

InDesigner

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by InDesigner » 05 Jun 2004, 11:21

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]I hope the entire software industry settles down so I can go back to making money creating artwork instead of ugrading evry few months or fixing permissions 12 times a day.
Now THERE'S a hope I pray isn't fulfilled! :wink:

As an employee of one of Canada's leading Apple resellers, my livelihood depends more and more upon software sales; the pitiful mark-up Apple hardware allows no longer provides the profitability it once did.

Regarding your comment about the integrity of a reseller's software sales figures and ratios; I'll be one who can honestly state while Adobe's effort to increase it's share of the desktop publishing market is on the rise, it's VERY slow. My company's "numbers[/img]
Quark's corporate restructuring couldn't have come at a worse time, which provided Adobe a unique opportunity to "flaunt" it's new wares. Adobe will have to work that much harder to convince QX users to switch, now that an OS X native QX version is rapidly being adopted by the graphics industry. Quark was the final holdout for most in making the decision to upgrade to OS X and if QX can maintain pace with it's currently minor, but potentially major competitor, I believe we'll see a healthy environment of competition for all in the industry.

Tim OConnor

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Tim OConnor » 05 Jun 2004, 12:33

I meant the software makers sales figures... I have heard the same from many Toronto Mac Retailers. Even to the point that it has hurt G5 sales in favour of Dual boot G4s.

Not to get personal but do you work for Ian or Dave in Mississauga? Eh?

janebrown

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by janebrown » 05 Jun 2004, 13:25

I've been a Quark Defender since 2.0. (?)

I've never felt *as* comfortable with Adobe products. As an old-school paste-up & mechanicals kinda gal, I always felt like Quark (the application) knew how my brain worked. Where I am on the page - literally - has always been important to me and I've never felt as in sync with any other application. I LOVE how Quark lets me put things on the page exactly where I want them. And I LOVE how I can finesse typography like nobody's business in Quark. I'm the sort of person who kerns phone numbers and can see the difference between 16 and 17 points of leading. I don't use many of the pre-press features; these days I produce promotional materials that I mostly just send straight to my own laser printer.

But now I am at a crossroads and I must decide whether or not to change to InDesign. I love 6.0 and have been using it for several months. I went straight from 4.1 to 6.0; I was terrified of the leap, but I had no choice. I was thrilled at how seamless the transition was...

~ until now ~

Now that I am self-employed and actually have to *buy* Quark, I'm looking long and hard at what I am shelling out the big bucks for. For the price of Quark, I can buy InDesign AND Illustrator AND P-shop. And install them BOTH of my computers if I need to.

Any designers out there who groove on the particular Quark features I described above? Did you ever learn how to manipulate typography in Illustrator like we can in Quark?

*Many thanks* to those who have outlined the main flaws of using 6.x and Quark in general. I, too, would be much more inclined to stick with Quark if: a.) if 6.x could save down to 5.x AND 4.x; and b.) there was good technical support.

-jane

InDesigner

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by InDesigner » 05 Jun 2004, 14:17

[strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]Not to get personal but do you work for Ian or Dave in Mississauga? Eh?
I've replaced Dave.

... small world, huh?

Return to “Sofa Threads”