Long Live Quark Xpress!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
InDesigner

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by InDesigner » 05 Jun 2004, 14:17

[strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]Not to get personal but do you work for Ian or Dave in Mississauga? Eh?
I've replaced Dave.

... small world, huh?

kenlasley

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by kenlasley » 05 Jun 2004, 19:04

Skyline is right. Do take a look at the book and you can even download a trial version of InDesign CS to see for yourself. Sandee Cohen is also another famed writer who know uses InDesign and writes books. There are many of us who wrote tech papers, wrote in the old XPRESS Newsletter and for magazines that prefer InDesign. Just give it a try, before you buy. The program may or may not be to your liking.

If you really love Quark it is a functional program and sometimes some people just do not like what the other has to offer. It really becomes a personal choice. I prefer InDesign, but do have to use Quark XPress sometimes.

Ken

Bivouac Ponzetti

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 05 Jun 2004, 21:24

[strong]Skyline:[/strong]What InDesign lacks right now is a comprehensive publishing system equal to Quark 4's--for large newspapers and magazines. But I wouldn't bet that Adobe doesn't have something like that in the works. If Quark doesn't wake up, it will be the final nail in its coffin.

You are very mistaken. Adobe doesn't make one, but there are now dozens of developers out there that offer InDesign/InCopy based editorial and advertising systems for newspaper, magazines and anything else.

Bivouac Ponzetti

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Bivouac Ponzetti » 05 Jun 2004, 22:13

[strong]Skyline:[/strong]Do you have any specifics? Any first-hand experience?

I don't use any of the solutions because I don't work at a newspaper or magazine, but here's what I know: there's a product called K4 that is a workflow system analagous to QPS. It could work well in mags or small newspapers. Ailink has a product called Infoplis which is an XML based newspaper and magazine workflow system. Other companies/products of which I'm aware that do some sort of ID and (in most cases) IC based workflow systems are ATS, Scoop, Harris, Baseview, AMC (Atex/Media Command), DTI, CCI, SAXoTECH, WoodWing, and MEI. This is what I can recall at the moment. I'm sure there are others.

I've seen some of these systems demo'd at various publishing shows, and they cover the gamut of all different sizes of operations.

There's no shortage of solutions out there now because ID offers developers a pretty rich environment in which to work, from what I'm told.

For mags I'd probably look at K4 or Infopolis first. And Woodwing too. Newspapers have a broad spectrum of choices (and price tags).

I think the NEXPO tradeshow is coming up in DC later this month. I'd expect that most of these players would be showing their wares at that show.

Tim OConnor

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Tim OConnor » 05 Jun 2004, 22:39

Deke McLelland hosted a CD called "Migrating from QX to Adobe Indesign2.
I don't think he got through a single part of the demo without commenting on how "bad" Quark was. Most users in our shop tuned out at the repeated message which distracted from any other content.

I have not read Blatners latest books but I have read some of his review articles on {I think it was} Creativepro.com.

While he refutted claims that he switched to indesign because of bucks paid by Adobe, He expressed {pardon the pun} disappointment at the lack of innovation in Quark's recent versions. Not any of the intolerent bashing of other authors. If I can find a link to the story I'll post it. It was a couple of months ago. I don't want to misquote him.

I personally don't blame him for writing about Indesign, His Quark4 book still covers most things well. New users of New software = More Sales. Good business.

if I am not mistaken though, I thought I saw his name on a Quark 5 book, I would not be suprised if he updates it for 6. If he hasn't already.

ksevey

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by ksevey » 05 Jun 2004, 22:53

I attended the Quark Summit last week where the CEO announced at the keynote that the forum was back online. There were many happy campers. :!:

amarie

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by amarie » 06 Jun 2004, 12:03

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Tim OConnor:[/strong]if I am not mistaken though, I thought I saw his name on a Quark 5 book, I would not be suprised if he updates it for 6. If he hasn't already.

Blatner's Real World QuarkXPress 6 came out in October 2003:
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 321199596/[/img]
AM

kitmir

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by kitmir » 06 Jun 2004, 18:18

David Blatner has a balanced one titled "QuarkXPress 6 vs. InDesign CS: Taking Sides" published in December. Check here:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20604.html

Tim OConnor

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Tim OConnor » 06 Jun 2004, 23:10

Thanks Kitmir... That is the one I was posting about.

Anonymous

Long Live Quark Xpress!

Post by Anonymous » 09 Jun 2004, 10:03

I wish we had done what you had the courage to do...but now with thousands of dollars invested in Quark and numerous 3rd Party Extensions (which still do not make QXP 6.1a as function rich as a base ID2), it's too late.

Maybe in two years, if Quark still doesn't have it's act together, we can make the switch.

Return to “Sofa Threads”