PC to MAC - Is it worth it?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
rv-

Post by rv- » 06 Mar 2012, 06:39

I am an early Mac-User and and Mac fan and work on Mac-exclusive since 1986 BUT... I have noticed that all software companies that matter in DTP (Adobe and Quark) develop their soft on PC. If you choose mac, you'll be disappointed by the less Mac-and-feel of all these software E.G. on Lion, no full screen, no versions, some ugly PC-like interface, etc. even the forums are not fully supported. A long time ago, it was an evidence to do DTP on a Mac because of fonts and postscript support, but today this choice is strange. I probably will never change to PC myself but if you like your PC for all other things why change? It will be the same, just a bit less optimized.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 06 Mar 2012, 10:04

MarkyBoy wrote:Thanks Erik, so... If I dual boot it so I can run windows, install my quark 7.x under windows, can I then upgrade it under windows and then be able to run it under OSX or would I be forever consigned to running it under Windows? In short I'm happy to upgrade to Quark 9 I suppose I just don't want to have to buy it 'as new'!

Quark got rid of this with version 7.x. Their EULA allows you to install your copy on two different machines. You just cannot run both at the same time. That can either be a Mac and another Mac, a PC and another PC, or a Mac and a PC. Consequently, your license is good for both PC and Mac. In short, it no longer matters what platform you have or switch to in regards to the license anymore.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 06 Mar 2012, 21:18

eyoungren wrote:Quark got rid of this with version 7.x. Their EULA allows you to install your copy on two different machines. You just cannot run both at the same time. That can either be a Mac and another Mac, a PC and another PC, or a Mac and a PC. Consequently, your license is good for both PC and Mac. In short, it no longer matters what platform you have or switch to in regards to the license anymore.
Thanks Erik, but if Quark 7.x will not run on a new MAC, could I install my 7.x on the windows section of the MAC and then install the upgrade so it runs under OSX?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 06 Mar 2012, 22:00

Hi rv,
rv- wrote:I have noticed that all software companies that matter in DTP [...] develop their soft on PC.

I can't speak for other software companies, Quark does develop on both platforms. So the Mac version is of course developed on Mac and we don't even use cross platform libraries to develop our palettes (like other software companies do) with one exception: App Studio palette.
Many engineers, architects, product managers and designers at Quark are Mac fans too and probably use Macs as long as you do.
Since customers demand both (or either) platform, of course we work on both platforms and try to make the best of both, like making use of some Core Graphics functions that Windows doesn't offer. And vice versa. Our Spotlight filters and QuickView plug-ins also make use of fucntions specific to the OS X operating system. That said doesn't mean we will support everything that a specific version of an operating system offers. Versions is something QuarkXPress 3 already offered, so way before Lion added that. And do you really want us to get rid of "Save As"?
Please let us know your wishes, as we always want to hear from you, our customers, what we should offer next.
Thanks
Matthias

rv-

Post by rv- » 07 Mar 2012, 00:04

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:I can't speak for other software companies, Quark does develop on both platforms. So the Mac version is of course developed on Mac and we don't even use cross platform libraries to develop our palettes (like other software companies do) with one exception: App Studio palette.
Many engineers, architects, product managers and designers at Quark are Mac fans too and probably use Macs as long as you do.
Since customers demand both (or either) platform, of course we work on both platforms and try to make the best of both, like making use of some Core Graphics functions that Windows doesn't offer. And vice versa. Our Spotlight filters and QuickView plug-ins also make use of fucntions specific to the OS X operating system. That said doesn't mean we will support everything that a specific version of an operating system offers. Versions is something QuarkXPress 3 already offered, so way before Lion added that. And do you really want us to get rid of "Save As"?
Please let us know your wishes, as we always want to hear from you, our customers, what we should offer next.
Thanks
Matthias
You're right. Spotlight and Quicklook are great. I imagine that there are a lot of mac-specific features I don't see and make the thing in the background. Thanks for that. I was just thinking that there no really mac-and-feel touch in the interface of multi-platforms software wich could justify switching to Mac regarding to loosing knowing-how of a long-time PC-user. But there one thing : buy xtensions on the app-store (badia only for now) is probably a really good reason: no serial, no complicated activation system, no stress, change hard drive and even Mac without loosing anything, low-cost apps, that is a good reason. The app-store is for me the killing-feature of Lion. QuarkXpress on the app-store with a max $350 price/version (no upgrade specific-prices). An iPad app that read Quark docs? Native conversion of PDF?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 07 Mar 2012, 01:56

MarkyBoy wrote:Thanks Erik, but if Quark 7.x will not run on a new MAC, could I install my 7.x on the windows section of the MAC and then install the upgrade so it runs under OSX?

Not an issue. You can install your current version of Windows on the Windows partition of the new Mac. Then install XPress 7.x. Upgrade to XPress 9.x and you can install that on the OSX Lion partition (assuming your new Mac comes with Lion).
Since version 8.x all the installers have served triple duty. They can be a trial, an updater or a full install. As a trial, you can convert to a full install simply by inserting your serial number. That's all the installers need. They don't need to see any previous installs of XPress, but as an upgrade they will ask for your old version's serial number (actually, it will be the serial of the very first version of XPress you purchased).

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 07 Mar 2012, 02:26

eyoungren wrote:
MarkyBoy wrote:Thanks Erik, but if Quark 7.x will not run on a new MAC, could I install my 7.x on the windows section of the MAC and then install the upgrade so it runs under OSX?

Not an issue. You can install your current version of Windows on the Windows partition of the new Mac. Then install XPress 7.x. Upgrade to XPress 9.x and you can install that on the OSX Lion partition (assuming your new Mac comes with Lion).
Since version 8.x all the installers have served triple duty. They can be a trial, an updater or a full install. As a trial, you can convert to a full install simply by inserting your serial number. That's all the installers need. They don't need to see any previous installs of XPress, but as an upgrade they will ask for your old version's serial number (actually, it will be the serial of the very first version of XPress you purchased).

That's really helpful Erik, thanks... One thing I am a bit confused about tho, is if I run Windows on the MAC (for Photoshop, Illustrator etc for the time being until I can afford MAC versions), will I just not have all the same issues as running Windows on a PC?!

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 07 Mar 2012, 03:47

MarkyBoy wrote:if I run Windows on the MAC will I just not have all the same issues as running Windows on a PC?!
Thats why you want a Mac.Buy a Mac, plug on any device you could think of; camera, printer, audio interface, name it... I bet your first statement will be: Damn! How could it be so simple?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 07 Mar 2012, 04:02

MarkyBoy wrote:That's really helpful Erik, thanks... One thing I am a bit confused about tho, is if I run Windows on the MAC (for Photoshop, Illustrator etc for the time being until I can afford MAC versions), will I just not have all the same issues as running Windows on a PC?!

See rcantin's statement.
Just to be clear so there is no confustion. You can run Windows on the new Intel Macs. But you can't run it simultaneously with OSX. You have to be booted into one OS or the other. You probably already know, but I'm stating it anyway.
If you'd like to run a Windows environment concurrently (or about as concurrently as you can get) you might look at Parallels. Parallels allows you to run INDIVIDUAL Windows programs inside OSX (and not the whole OS).
There's also a free Windows emulator called QEMU, but I don't know if that works on Intel Macs and it's likely to be slow.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 07 Mar 2012, 04:16

Hi Erik,
eyoungren wrote:
If you'd like to run a Windows environment concurrently (or about as concurrently as you can get) you might look at Parallels. Parallels allows you to run INDIVIDUAL Windows programs inside OSX (and not the whole OS).
There's also a free Windows emulator called QEMU, but I don't know if that works on Intel Macs and it's likely to be slow.

Virtual Box is free and similar to Parallels / VMWare Fusion.

Thanks
Matthias

Return to “Sofa Threads”