PC to MAC - Is it worth it?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 08 Mar 2012, 23:34

Hi Mark,
QuarkXPress 7.01 and higher will run on Intel Macs, just not on newer models due to the technical issue Erik explained. As you probably will use OS X LIon, you should go for QuarkXPress 9 (which also gives oyu iPad publishing capabilities).
And yes, you can buy an upgrade from 7 to 9. You don't need to install 7 at all to get or install an upgrade, the installer will ask you about your old serial number. Of course if you want to continue to use v7, you can also install it (on Windows).
Once you have purchased the upgrade you can install it on both platforms, activate one installation on OS X, one on Windows and you are good to go with one license. As typically most digital files exchange well cross platforms (modern fonts assumed and standard picture formats), you can even exchange your work between Mac OS X and Windows.
Regards
Matthias

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 08 Mar 2012, 23:58

Thanks Matthias... I think between you and Erik, I am well on the way to understanding how I can get it all to work and move over to a MAC, which is my preferred option... Having costed out some fast PCs, I don't actually think that the cost of a MAC will be so different and if I can use Boot Camp, then I can just upgrade Quark to version 9 and use my old software under Windows for a while until I can afford MAC versions. Thanks for all the advice!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 09 Mar 2012, 03:47

Just a couple of last comments here. 1. If you install and use XPress 7.x on the Windows partition you will be able to open the file in version 9.x on the OSX version. What you won't be able to do is save back from version 9.x on OSX to version 7.x so that XPress 7.x on the Windows partition can open the file. You can only downsave one version. So the best XPress 9.x can give you would be a version 8.x file, which of course 7.x won't be able to open (because the version is higher). So, Matthias's suggestion to install and use 9.x on both partitions is probably the best advice if you want to move XPress files cross-partition.
2. Apple sells Macs and the OS to support them. They don't sell Windows although they do support it. What I mean by this is that when you buy your new Mac, although it is capable of all that we have told you it is, it won't be setup that way. It'll come with Lion and the drive will be one partition for OSX only. You will have to partition the drive yourself and you will have to supply your own copy of Windows. Fortunately, since OSX Leopard 10.5, OSX no longer deletes your data when you partition. In the case of a brand new Mac this does not really matter (because you have no personal data on the Mac), but I mention it so that you are aware. In the past you would have had to backup all your data and then partition. Partitioning would then wipe out all the data on your drive and you'd use your backup to restore to the correct partition. Not an issue anymore (although I will be honest and tell you that I have not tried this myself yet so I'm not sure what pitfalls you might encounter).

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 09 Mar 2012, 04:17

Thanks Erik... I think I will go with the Xpress 9 update on both... BUT... Am I right in saying, that from what Matthias says, I don't need to install 7.x under Windows at all because I do not need to have a version installed to do the upgrade to version 9 (I only need the serial number of 7.x).... So, I may as well go straight to install version 9 on the OSX... What do you think? I had initially thought that I must have to have version 7.x installed before I upgrade to version 9 (hence installing unders Windows) but I don't believe I do!
What do you think?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 09 Mar 2012, 05:09

Matthias is correct. You don't need version 7.x installed first. As I explained earlier, all the version 9.x installer will ask for is your old serial number. Keep in mind though that the serial it's asking for is the base serial. You say you have been with XPress for a long time. I don't recall which version you started with, but lets say for the moment it's version 4.0. The version 9.x installer will want the serial number given to you with version 4.0, NOT the serial number from 7.x because 7.x would have been an upgrade to version 4.0 which was the first version you got and thus a full install.
If 7.0 was the first version you purchase and was a full install, then that would be the serial number you give the 9.x installer.
Does that make sense?

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 09 Mar 2012, 05:21

Thanks Erik, that all makes perfect sense! I'll go for a MAC, upgrade to Xpress 9 (I have the original serial number for version 4) and run Quark on OSX. Then I'll either partition the drive using Boot Camp for my other Windows software until I can upgrade... Thanks for all the help, I have learnt a lot!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 09 Mar 2012, 06:58

No problem! Good luck!

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 18 Mar 2012, 23:15

Hi again Guys
Okay, well looks like I'm going to take the plunge and convert to Mac, nice upgrade for Quark (wish I could say the same for the 1500 that Adobe want for photoshop etc!)
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Type1 PostScript fonts working on a MAC? Someone mentioned that I may have problems with old postscript fonts but I don't know anything about compatibility... Any ideas?

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 19 Mar 2012, 01:24

MarkyBoy wrote:'m going to take the plunge and convert to Mac,
Good move! I bet you'll love the touch and feel of the Mac and its operating system OSX.
MarkyBoy wrote:Someone mentioned that I may have problems with old postscript fonts
Since Mac OSX, PC fonts can be activated flawlessly on a Mac. I'll suggest you to read this: http://doc.us.extensis.com/Font-Best-Pr ... OSX-v7.pdf

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 19 Mar 2012, 02:47

Fonts! A whole other can of worms!
With Leopard Apple put the screws on the system to start favoring it's own fonts. If you delete or remove fonts from the System folders Leopard and above will replace them. Snow Leopard was even more strict and I don't know about Lion. All of the system fonts are DFONTs so if you need a Postscript font of say Helvetica in the System Folder you'll have to work to replace it. There are ways to do that though.
This will explain everything.

Return to “Sofa Threads”