PC to MAC - Is it worth it?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 20 Mar 2012, 05:22

According to this:
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/fonti ... glish.html
It seems that Type 1 fonts shouldn't be too much of a problem or am I missing something obvious?

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 21 Mar 2012, 06:25

formerly Tony P wrote:rcantin -- Were you using them in Quark? Can you recall where did they have to be loaded - in a remote folder and activated by a font manager or in one of the system's folders?
Tony,Yes I was using Quark and retrieving the files from an old archived tape I know now it was PC TTF so it was definitly not PC Type 1 fonts.And working in prepress I used a font manager.And I'm pretty sure as Kurt Lang wrote that PC type 1 font are not supported by Mac OSX nor by any font manager.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 27 Mar 2012, 21:25

Gentlemen, I now have a shiny new imac and have installed Quark 9... All looking good, now I just have to commence the battle with my old windows fonts!... I really found Xpert tools very useful in Quark 7.5, but they don't appear to work in version 9 (I downloaded the mac version of xpert tools). In particular, I can't live without 'paste in place' and I also found xpert align more useful than the one built into the Quark toolbar... Does anyone know why they don't work or if there's an update of xpert tools?

rv-

Post by rv- » 27 Mar 2012, 21:31

The "paste in place" is built in Quark 9, (opt-alt-maj-V) and the align function is also available in Badia Fullmeasure (badiaxt.com)

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 28 Mar 2012, 03:11

rv- is correct. There was a bunch of new stuff with version 8.x and paste in place was one of them (not sure if that actually came in in version 7.x or not, I don't recall).
We all hope you like and are enjoying your new iMac. It's a different world, but you will find help from Mac enthusiasts everywhere to navigate it.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 28 Mar 2012, 03:30

eyoungren wrote:paste in place was one of them
Actualy, it is also avaiiable in V6.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 28 Mar 2012, 04:35

i stand corrected.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 28 Mar 2012, 23:19

Thanks Guys, all going well so far, fonts all installed and working :-)
I have an issue on trying to print xpress documents to pdf... When I try to print, I get a message saying 'Adobe PDF Printer Description File is not currently installed'
Have I missed something on installation or do I need to download something extra or do I need to install Acrobat to get this working?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 28 Mar 2012, 23:26

Hi Mark,
please don't "Print to PDF", as QuarkXPress then assumes you are creating PostScript and might embed printer specifics (if you choose a PPD), could get the page wrong (if you specify it incorrectly) and will strip any PDF-specific elements (hyperlinks, native transparency) if you choose to have them in there.
Best practise is to Export to PDF (File menu). You can do that using the built-in technology or optionally go via Distiller (if you prefer that).
Thanks
Matthias

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 28 Mar 2012, 23:41

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Hi Mark,
please don't "Print to PDF", as QuarkXPress then assumes you are creating PostScript and might embed printer specifics (if you choose a PPD), could get the page wrong (if you specify it incorrectly) and will strip any PDF-specific elements (hyperlinks, native transparency) if you choose to have them in there.
Best practise is to Export to PDF (File menu). You can do that using the built-in technology or optionally go via Distiller (if you prefer that).
Thanks
Matthias
Thanks Matthias... Hmmm, okay well I probably need to change, my issue is that I never quite trusted the PDF export from Quark (no real reason for this other than a gut feeling!) so have always printed to PDF using Adobe PDF PPD. I trust that method to get spot colours and formatting correct also I am concerned that on the pdf export how do you ensure that images are exported at the best resolution as the default for press quality output states that the default compression is ZI/JPEG Low?! Which doesn't inspire my confidence in the export function.
I am sure I am missing something and need to learn about it, but how do I get an Adobe PDF PPD in to Quark? Is it via installing Acrobat?

Return to “Sofa Threads”