PC to MAC - Is it worth it?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 29 Mar 2012, 00:01

Hi Mark,
I know that former best practises are hard to change. Of course you can use a minimal JPG compression for press quality prints. Not noticeable and great impact on file size.
If you look at Distiller's default settings for high quality print, it also uses a JPG compression. Once thing to be aware of is that Distiller's settings say "quality", so here you need to choose high or max. QuarkXPress' settings talk about compression, so here "low" equals good quality.
Turn it off if you don't trust it. Or use PDF Export to write to Distiller (in Preferences choose "PostScript" and point it toward Distiller's watched folder).

Or continue to Print to Distiller. Just be aware that here e.g. unflattened transparency is not possible (a PostScript limitation).
To install a PPD just install it in the system, QuarkXPress will find it then. Alternatively you can point QuarkXPress' auxiliary folder to the location of your PPDs (menu Utilities > PPD Manager).
Thanks
Matthias

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 29 Mar 2012, 00:29

Thanks Matthias... I'll learn more about exporting if you suggest it is the best method, I am sure with a bit of experimenting I will get there, thanks for the advice.
Two other issues, I have found which are problems. Firstly, I copied all my images over to the Mac and I have some Quark projects that have hundreds of images in them. On opening the file, I get the expected message about missing images, but when I go to update an image, Quark is not finding the other missing images that are within the same image folder... So, all my images are in one folder per project and I need Quark to find the other images automatically on an update of one image... It should say something like 'other images found ok to update those too?' How can I get Quark to update them all, I cannot do a manual update as I have over 400 images in one catalogue, then I have the catalogue in 9 languages, so 3600 images! I cannot update them all manually! Help! :-)
Another much smaller issue is that I have some fonts that are displaying too low down in their text boxes, even though all the parameters are identical for leading and offsets... I suspect this is because they were originally Type1 Postscript fonts and I have had to update them to ttf fonts.... Is this a case of manually adjusting each one? I realise it's probably just unique to a particular font, but just thought I'd ask in case there's a magic button / setting!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 29 Mar 2012, 03:24

I believe it was with Snow Leopard (the version of OS before Lion which is probably what your Mac came with) that Apple made it much harder to print to PS. It's still possible, but there are some machinations you need to do to set it up because Apple disabled the Adobe PDF printer. I will see if I can track that down as it was a rather large thread in the PDF forum.
Matthias has suggested Exporting to PDF as a PS file. This is actually now a good middle ground. With version 8.x came PDFMarks which is a technology that allows you to embed transparency in exported PS files. You can use Distiller to generate a transparent PDF but you have to modify the job setting as Distiller is by default set to fail when it encounters transparency.
See my thread here.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 29 Mar 2012, 05:22

eyoungren wrote:I believe it was with Snow Leopard (the version of OS before Lion which is probably what your Mac came with) that Apple made it much harder to print to PS. It's still possible, but there are some machinations you need to do to set it up because Apple disabled the Adobe PDF printer. I will see if I can track that down as it was a rather large thread in the PDF forum.
Matthias has suggested Exporting to PDF as a PS file. This is actually now a good middle ground. With version 8.x came PDFMarks which is a technology that allows you to embed transparency in exported PS files. You can use Distiller to generate a transparent PDF but you have to modify the job setting as Distiller is by default set to fail when it encounters transparency.
See my thread here.
Thanks Erik, that's useful.... I'm being stupid, but I can't see where you export to pdf as a ps file from Quark.
Also, I've done a few tests after Matthias recommended exporting to pdf and I have solved a few transparency issues, but one problem I can't solve is I have a drop shadow on a group (one text box, one image box) and the applied drop shadow makes some of the text underneath it bold, but you cannot see this on the pdf, it's only noticeable when you print a hard copy. The shadow itself does not go over the text but I guess there's a box around the drop shadow and it's that part that changes a little bit of the text so I have the top half (nearest the shadow) of the text bold... Any ideas?

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 29 Mar 2012, 05:30

best practice with text and transparency is to make sure the text is at the front (top) if you need runaround draw a box filled with none.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 29 Mar 2012, 06:10

The setting is in Preferences. Under PDF.
What I do (when I use this) is export transparency natively. I have a PDF Output style set for that. I let Distiller sort out the compression.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 29 Mar 2012, 06:13

eyoungren wrote:The setting is in Preferences. Under PDF.
What I do (when I use this) is export transparency natively. I have a PDF Output style set for that. I let Distiller sort out the compression.
Brilliant! Thanks Erik.

Return to “Sofa Threads”