I just discovered....

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
larsen67

I just discovered....

Post by larsen67 » 02 Aug 2010, 00:25

Filemaker is one of the options that I have considered. (I know this is AppleScript friendly). What I really would like is something server based. What I require is this automates the creation of low res libraries of our client image assets to web, where clients can browse and supply us back excel files of selections along with any text data relating to these. From this I would like to place both images and text to template files

Emma

I just discovered....

Post by Emma » 02 Aug 2010, 00:43

Have you looked at Web Native? We use it here but I don't know it myself. Sounds like what you want.

http://www.xinet.com/index.php

larsen67

I just discovered....

Post by larsen67 » 02 Aug 2010, 03:31

Thanks Emma, I will give that a look up Each year I keep getting asked the same old questions, I go look it all up go back with my results nothing happens Then 365 later have to check it all out again because I've forgotten where things were at. I really want something that can watch our server directories and do this on the fly adding content to individual clients. Something that worked like web Image/Photo Library's light boxes etc.

Glenn McDowall

I just discovered....

Post by Glenn McDowall » 03 Aug 2010, 00:47

[:)]
Emma wrote:
Suppress picture output!
I've always known about suppress box output, of course. But I'd never clicked on the picture tab and seen that I could suppress the picture alone. However long has that been there???

I'm pretty sure it was there in v3.
You also might like to know that you can suppress the picture output inside Utilities>Usage>Pictures Tab by removing the tick on the left hand side. Its actually a pretty quick non-destructive way of troubleshooting files that won't print.
Just to make you feel less of an idiot, I only discovered that the delete key on an extended keyboard deletes in front of the cursor a couple of years ago. I learned to do this in Quark3 using Shift Backspace, so it never occurred to me that the key behaved any different to the backspace.
Here is a cool OSX trick that often gets a "How did you do that response from onlookers" if you have a second monitor. Set your Finder window so you can see a folder you want to save to or a file you want to place. Then go to Quark and Save As or Place, then drag the folder or file from the Finder window to the Application's Navigation window and it gets you Straight there.[H]

Jean-Marie Schwartz

I just discovered....

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 03 Aug 2010, 20:51

Glenn McDowall wrote:then drag the folder or file from the Finder window to the Application's Navigation window and it gets you Straight there.Image
That sounds great! But no real need of having 2 monitors, right? (Well I should try actually).
Oh BTW, I knew the suppress printing from Usage pane, but I wonder if there is a way of ticking or unticking every boxes at once. I know it's doable in Mail when you import mailboxes but then there is a special glyph different from the one in similar windows anywhere else. So I was just hoping a key-combination would do the trick. Any idea?

Glenn McDowall

I just discovered....

Post by Glenn McDowall » 03 Aug 2010, 22:42

If your Monitor is big enough then you don't need a second[co]
I've just played around in the Usage palette and you can Command Click on a selection to turn them all off or on together.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

I just discovered....

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 03 Aug 2010, 23:12

Glenn McDowall wrote:I've just played around in the Usage palette and you can Command Click on a selection to turn them all off or on together.
YES! That's magic! I don't know why I've never played further than Option click Thank you so much, Glenn, for that simple but very appreciated trick!

eyoungren

I just discovered....

Post by eyoungren » 04 Aug 2010, 03:42

Glenn McDowall wrote:If your Monitor is big enough then you don't need a second

No such thing as "big enough monitor." [:)] Two monitors. One for palettes and frequently opened windows. One for documents. Your Finder nav trick is something I use frequently Glenn. I'll have my windows open on my second monitor and the dialogue box on the second monitor and then I can just drag and drop. Let me add to this though.
What happens if you have a document covering your finder windows and you are using a save or open dialogue box and need to get to the Finder windows behind your document? Easy. CMD+Tab to switch to the Finder. Grab the folder/file location and start to drag. HOLD. CMD+Tab to go back in to your application. Drop the folder/file on to the save/open dialogue box. Also, CMD+~ (squiggly mark) will cycle through open documents.
Oh yeah, last one real quick. Click and drag on a document you want to open. CMD+Tab, drop the file on the open application you want to open the file in.

Jean-Marie Schwartz

I just discovered....

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 04 Aug 2010, 05:19

Hi Erik! I use the Cmd-tab shortcut every day though not in this way. But yet an easier way to handle with several windows even from several apps is (if not already done, to set a monitor corner to split every open windows on screen and then) just select an object and drag it to that corner and drop it on the window you wish to target. Oh I love my Mac! :-)

Glenn McDowall

I just discovered....

Post by Glenn McDowall » 04 Aug 2010, 05:43

Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:, to set a monitor corner to split every open windows on screen :-)
do you mean Function key F9 behaviour?

Return to “Sofa Threads”