I just discovered....

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Glenn McDowall

I just discovered....

Post by Glenn McDowall » 04 Aug 2010, 05:43

Jean-Marie Schwartz wrote:, to set a monitor corner to split every open windows on screen :-)
do you mean Function key F9 behaviour?

Jean-Marie Schwartz

I just discovered....

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 04 Aug 2010, 21:39

Glenn McDowall wrote:do you mean Function key F9 behaviour?
That's probably what I mean, yes I disabled F keys at first because of interferences with other apps. I think it's called Expos > Active Corners in System Preferences (translated from French). I have the upper right corner set to show every open windows. It's very useful and easy to use (but I have a single monitor).

dustywarrior

I just discovered....

Post by dustywarrior » 18 Aug 2010, 01:07

I've known about it for quite a while to be honest, its a very handy little feature!

Witcher

I just discovered....

Post by Witcher » 10 Nov 2010, 10:55

I could go for a webinar on formatting and importing Xpress tags.I'm fairly adept at it, but I had to teach myself (for the most part) and wonder if there might be a better way of doing things...(I know, there is documentation, but there's nothing like a webinar to make you feel important!

eyoungren

I just discovered....

Post by eyoungren » 10 Nov 2010, 11:14

Hey Michel!
You've arrived! LOL. You're being plugged in Witcher's sig! [:D]
Witcher, look Matthias up. He can probably give you some webinar details.

max.peter

I just discovered....

Post by max.peter » 11 Nov 2010, 08:49

Are there some plans for a webinar?
I'd like to see something about XML. And how to interact with other programs via XML (importing, exporting, tables, XML and databases).
I just remembered!... In Quark v.7 there is an option to export to PPML (it disappeared inv.8). How could we make some "mail merge" without a Xtension?

eyoungren

I just discovered....

Post by eyoungren » 11 Nov 2010, 09:10

max.peter wrote:
Are there some plans for a webinar?
I'd like to see something about XML. And how to interact with other programs via XML (importing, exporting, tables, XML and databases).
I just remembered!... In Quark v.7 there is an option to export to PPML (it disappeared inv.8). How could we make some "mail merge" without a Xtension?
Matthias?

max.peter

I just discovered....

Post by max.peter » 11 Nov 2010, 09:53

I'm just dreaming:
Database > Quark > HTML > website
> Flash > website > presentations (or virtual libraries, or some asset management apps, or ...)
> VDP
What do you think? Some other opinions?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

I just discovered....

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 11 Nov 2010, 20:53

Hi Max,
max.peter wrote:How could we make some "mail merge" without a Xtension?

XML Import might be an option. Excel maybe also, though that's a bit tedious for a mail merge.
eyoungren wrote:Matthias?

Yessir!
Is there really a need for a webinar (with hundreds of users, registration, scheduled some months in advance) or do you guys just want to see a screencast on how to do this with XML Import?
Thanks
Matthias

max.peter

I just discovered....

Post by max.peter » 11 Nov 2010, 21:17

Hi, Matthias
Thank you for the answers.
I think you are right, a webinar could be too much, but a screencast should be great.
The XML import/export facilities in Quark v.7 are great, but ltitle known by many users. There is an extraordinary power in it. I think combined with Flash can bring extraordinary features to applications. But I'm less experienced in this (I've worked mainly in print for about 20 years, you know, the old fahsion). I've seen all related videos(some of them twice). But I'm still working on it.

I've paid a lot of money for various XTensions (like XData - not cheap at all!). But I'd like more to pay for certain facilities in Quark, not for third party XTensions. Because I think Quark is better and more flexible than othes software.
Regards.

Return to “Sofa Threads”