RIP: My Powerbook G4/400 Titanium

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 29 Oct 2009, 09:25

Well, the logic board finally gave out this morning. Had the forums up and it froze. Shutdown, tried to reboot, nothing. Worked with it for a while, got it to boot twice and each time it froze at the login screen and would not reboot. If I wait a while it may reboot but it freezes at the grayscreen and then won't reboot. So, at this point I think the logic board is toast.
Oh well. It was a good run. January 2001 to October 2009!
Anyone out there have a spare Powerbook or iBook lying around that they'd let go for $100 or less? That's about all I can afford at the moment. Looks like I'll be tied to my PC desktop at home if I can't find anything. Oh well again. At this point anything I end up with is likely to be better than the old PB.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 17 Dec 2009, 13:13

Well! Won an auction on eBay. Bought a used 17" 1GHZ Powerbook G4 with 1GB of RAM. Seller did not list the details of the HD, but I already have a 320GB HD that I had bought for the previously mentioned dead Titanium. Looking to be back in business next week!
It's got Leopard on it, so we'll see how that goes!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 24 Dec 2009, 11:27

My PB came today. Back in business!

shaun

Post by shaun » 24 Dec 2009, 22:29

Just for interest, was it the logic board?
I had a similar problem early this year (G5 2.7DP) and it was one of the cpus. Second time it broke down it was cpu and logic board.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Dec 2009, 11:23

Yep. Logic board. Dead as a doornail. I can try and start it up, but it will only get as far as starting to load the blue screen (the one after the gray Apple and gear screen) and then it freezes. Each subsequent boot is shorter. I can zap pram till the cows come home to try and get it to boot, but again it only goes so far. I took it to the Apple store and they confirmed it.
I'm satisfied though. It lasted for eight years with rarely being turned off and with heavy use.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 26 Feb 2010, 07:03

Well, update on this. The screen went out on my PB about a month after I got it. Which I didn't complain about given what I paid for this. But now, I just won a 1.67GHZ 17" PB with 2GB of RAM on eBay. Somebody dropped it on it's corner where the superdrive is, but the screen is good and it works. So, probably going to switch the bottom case of my current 17" with this one.
So, now I have a speed bump, a bump in RAM and I do believe the 1.67GHZ models come with USB 2.0. Not to mention the HD screen.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 08 Mar 2010, 11:05

Not that any cares anymore either, but the PB that I bought to replace the one with the burned out screen did indeed turn out to be the dual layer PB. I'm not so sure the seller knew what he had or this PB would have commanded a much higher price than it did.
Secondly, it turns out that the screen on the 1GHZ PB is actually still working. If the machine is cold I just have to wait for the screen to come on.
Lastly, the whole thing that started this thread for me, my Titanium is about to be resurrected. Bought a new logic board for it at a cheap price. So. Now I will have 3 PBs.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 10 Mar 2010, 18:20

Well, swapped out the logic board on my old PB tonight. It's alive and kicking on Leopard. Now my wife has a Mac to use!

JJCv2.0

Post by JJCv2.0 » 30 Jun 2010, 20:54

Hi, glad to see a TiBook back in business. I have a question, was installing the new logic board difficult? Seems things are so tiny in their, I was reading your thread and it sparked my interest.

Cheers.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 01 Jul 2010, 07:18

Actually, it was far less difficult than I thought it would be. I bought my logicboard from [strong]here.[/strong] They are going for $89 there right now. Then I just followed this [strong]guide[/strong] at ifixit.com which is pretty comprehensive.
One piece of advice. Examine the logicboard you purchase and the one you are replacing. There may be parts on the one being replaced that are not there on the new board. I found that to be the case with the logicboard I got for my wife's Mac.
I'm finding that the more I am inside these Macs of mine the less complicated they seem to be. Right now I am in the process of replacing the LVDS cable for my Mac with the screen problem. I've replaced it but the back cover of the LCD is not wanting to reattach properly. Ah well, if worse comes to worse I'm not out a screen because it still works hooked up to a monitor.
My TiBook 400 after the logicboard replacement.
My 17" PB and my TiBook 400.

Return to “Sofa Threads”