RIP: My Powerbook G4/400 Titanium

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 01 Jul 2010, 07:18

Actually, it was far less difficult than I thought it would be. I bought my logicboard from [strong]here.[/strong] They are going for $89 there right now. Then I just followed this [strong]guide[/strong] at ifixit.com which is pretty comprehensive.
One piece of advice. Examine the logicboard you purchase and the one you are replacing. There may be parts on the one being replaced that are not there on the new board. I found that to be the case with the logicboard I got for my wife's Mac.
I'm finding that the more I am inside these Macs of mine the less complicated they seem to be. Right now I am in the process of replacing the LVDS cable for my Mac with the screen problem. I've replaced it but the back cover of the LCD is not wanting to reattach properly. Ah well, if worse comes to worse I'm not out a screen because it still works hooked up to a monitor.
My TiBook 400 after the logicboard replacement.
My 17" PB and my TiBook 400.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 11 Sep 2011, 12:45

Yet again, not that anyone cares, but
Since the last post, I have replaced the screen on the 1Ghz 17" PB since it was not only the LVDS cable, but the screen that went bad too. I have replaced the DC Inverter board (1Ghz 17" PB) because the Mac was no longer charging. And
Several months ago my daughter decided to send the TiBook flying off the coach. It hit flat on the carpet but my wife started experiencing freezes. So, I had to put the Mac out of commission. It would only boot in safe mode. About a month ago I bought her a 1Ghz 12" PB off eBay. Screen was broken (this poor Mac had rolled down a flight of stairs), so I also bought a used replacment screen. I swapped it out, broke a few parts and replaced those. Getting to the inside of a 12" PB is MUCH more difficult and much more delicate. Anyway, she has a completely function 12" PB with max Ram (1.25GB) now.
Today, I decided to try one last crack at the TiBook before selling it for parts on eBay. Got it working! I don't know why, but there are some ATI/NVDIA drivers that the Mac was choking on when loading. Since those don't load in safe mode that's why the Mac was booting in Safe Mode. Also, safe mode or not, whenever I closed the lid I had an instant freeze. Now, I understand when you close the lid on a Mac laptop the OS writes to the hard drive everything that's in memory. No idea what's going on there with the TiBook when I close the lid, but I disabled this feature (it's called Safe Sleep) by issuing two terminal commands that someone with a MacBook had done because they had the same problem. Well, now the Mac goes to sleep on lid close, just like it's supposed to and no freeze.
So, now I have three Powerbooks!

shaun

Post by shaun » 11 Sep 2011, 22:38

I hope you've let Apple know about this ...

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 11 Sep 2011, 23:07

How are you finding OSX10.5 and G4 chip combo, I understood it to be very slow so never took my G4 past 10.4. Just inherited a G4 Mac Mini and am pondering which OS to install.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 12 Sep 2011, 02:55

Shaun I'm keeping knowledge of my undead TiBook from Apple. I wantto keep it. They might take it away. [:D]Glenn.I hear that a lot. But I'm running it on both my 17" PBs.It's a little slower on my older one, but that's only because it has half thememory that my newer one has. I've found it to be incredibly stable and it'sactually made things much better for these two Macs. Fan control isconsiderably better, backlighting, etc. Overall it's running real smooth.The only issue: memory. It reserves far more memory than Tigerdid. However, it seems to handle it better because at the very least myperformance has not declined. It takes forever to install though (lots of littlefiles with ACLs), forever to index (the first time) and you might as well goout and get lunch if you want to repair permissions. I would not suggestinstalling on a machine that has anything less than 1GB of Ram though.I have it on my coworker's G4/400 with 1GB of Ram and it'sslow, but it gets the job done.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 04 Feb 2012, 13:32

Well, the continuing saga of the undead TiBook 400 continues. It *died* again on Thursday night. So, I guess that makes three times now. I had my daughter using it for kid games. She wanted to play something else. The Mac was responsive, but would not quit the game, so I shut it down. Rebooted and got a gray screen with the Apple logo and no gear. Restarted again and all I got that time was the original OS9 gray screen. No boot. So, I declared it dead. But, it doesn't end there.
Today I won another Mac on eBay. $24.33 and $14.99 shipping. This Mac is a 1GHZ Titanum with 1GB ram. The LCD is broken off the hinges and doesn't work. But the Mac is working. It's coming with no harddrive. My plan is to take the broken screen off and replace it with the good one on my TiBook 400. The one I just bought is also missing screws so I will use the ones from my 400 and will also drop in the hard drive from my 400. That should give me a good 1GHZ Titanium that I can upgrade to Leopard. My son will get this Mac and my daughter will get his iBook.
Kind of funny because the only difference between this new Mac and my 17" 1GHZ Mac is the physical size, screen resolution and max ram. The new Mac also has an ATI Radeon 9000 with 64MB of VRAM and a Superdrive (DVD and CD R/W). My son is basically getting a rocket.
Not bad. $40 (rounded up) for a machine that was originally $3000!

Return to “Sofa Threads”