Someone sent me a layout created in InDesign...

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 21 Nov 2011, 04:55

And surprise, surprise... I can't even get it open. I have the latest InDesign on my computer... hidden in one of those deep, dark, evil places I often dare not go. But upon launching it, I got bombarded with error message as if I was a soldier storming the shores of France. Amidst all the confusion, I deduced that I probably needed an upgrade, or something like that, and wound up having to go to that netherworld of chaos and insanity that people like to refer to as Adobe.com. Just loading that site into my browser is enough to give me rapid heart palpitations. I immediately start having flashbacks of getting stuck in internet loops and getting lost on page after page of "helpful" suggestion articles that promise I will be able to e-mail someone for help soon, but instead leave me more befuddled than I was when I got there. And when I do finally get to submit an e-mail for help, they seem to go into internet limbo, never to be seen again.

After finding and downloading said installer, I got an error message that read "Some updates failed to install" and the "update is not applicable." Under normal circumstances, such a message would send me off into a fit of obsessive compulsive curiosity, whereupon I would attack this problem until I found a solution or an acceptable workaround. It's just my nature to find a way, or make a way. But in this instance, I'm actually glad it didn't work because I really didn't want to have to use InDesign anyway. Lucky for me, the person who sent the file also included her images and fonts, and it will probably take me about 2 minutes and 12 seconds to recreate the entire layout in Quark.

I could probably figure out what's going on with my InDesign very easily. I've cracked much harder nuts than that before. But I just really don't want to. I'm glad to have an excuse to use Quark instead.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 21 Nov 2011, 06:13

shaharaperil wrote:I have the latest InDesign on my computer...
Just curious... And this version number is...

ronwel

Post by ronwel » 21 Nov 2011, 06:22

Wow...quite the post.
If you do not like Adobe's website, you could have simply cliked on the "Updates" option in InDesigns HELP menu to check for updates automatically. (On MACs there is a update tool that runs in the background and lets you know when updates are available)
The most current version of Indesign is: Adobe InDesign CS5.5 7.5.2 update, October 20, 2011 (Took meone button click to find on Adobe's website...under DOWNLOADS...listed on the right side...)
If you only have InDesign 5 (creative suite 5.0) the jump to 5.5 does cost as it was a large upgrade and had added features.
If you try and open a document that has been created in a higher version than you have, you will get a bunch of error messages about missing plugins and a dialogue box that mentions that the file may have come from a new version. Quark has a similar error message.
If you had a different error message or have trouble updating, let me know and I will see if I can help you any further.

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 05 Dec 2011, 16:57

Thanks for the info and the offer to help. I never wound up fixing the problem because the client made an error in the file and wanted to resend it. They sent me a PDF the second time. But I'll download that update anyway and see what happens.

In any case, the main reason I posted that was because I sometimes hear Adobe fanatics praising InDesign... saying how great and easy it is, and how it solved all their problems, made their jobs easier, and brought peace and happiness to all the people throughout the land. That excessive praise always seemed rather unjustified, especially now that I couldn't even manage to get a document open. The reality, it seems, is that InDesign is just like any other program. It's going to have its own issues and flaws. Some people will find them irritating and want to switch to something else. Others won't be impacted by them at all and will just go about their routine.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 05 Dec 2011, 17:19

shaharaperil wrote:Thanks for the info and the offer to help. I never wound up fixing the problem because the client made an error in the file and wanted to resend it. They sent me a PDF the second time. But I'll download that update anyway and see what happens.

In any case, the main reason I posted that was because I sometimes hear Adobe fanatics praising InDesign... saying how great and easy it is, and how it solved all their problems, made their jobs easier, and brought peace and happiness to all the people throughout the land. That excessive praise always seemed rather unjustified, especially now that I couldn't even manage to get a document open. The reality, it seems, is that InDesign is just like any other program. It's going to have its own issues and flaws. Some people will find them irritating and want to switch to something else. Others won't be impacted by them at all and will just go about their routine.

This is why, the only people you'll find rabidly promoting ID here on these forums, are either frustrated XPress users or new converts. You won't find the old hands on the ID forums over here extolling ID's virtues because they knowit's just like any other program.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 06 Dec 2011, 04:17

shaharaperil wrote:But I'll download that update anyway and see what happens.
So you had a CS5.5 file and running a CS5 app?Just for your information you'll need to shell out some bucks to upgrade... As CS5.5 is not an update.

Return to “Sofa Threads”