Top Ten List of Designer/Operator Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 06 Apr 2011, 03:48

Thought I would post mine.
1. Boxes everywhere. Some designers seem to feel that more is better. I've opened documents where every line of copy is a seperate text box!
2. Unformatted text boxes. Some designers center copy by making a text box, typing it in, leaving it flush left and then "centering" the copy by moving the box relative to other objects on the page. They also fail to pull the sides and bottom in.
3. Uneccesary complexity. Some designers will use two boxes to make reverse type. One box behind for the color and a text box on top for the type! Use one text box with a background of the chosen color, white type and the box set to be centered. Adjust your baseline shift as necessary!
4. Useless guides everywhere. Use the info palette!
5. Storing everything on the pasteboard. The pasteboard is NOT a dumping ground!
6. Using the wrong box for an intended purpose. I've seen text and picture boxes used for frames and reverse boxes. The CORRECT box to use is the NONE box!
7. Leaving documents open when you leave work for the day. What happens if there is a power failure overnight or something happens and this document goes corrupt?!
8. Not saving your changes in a timely manner. So now you've lost an hour or so of work because you couldn't be bothered to be interrupted for 5 seconds or so to save.
9. Using non standard images such as jpg and png in a print layout because you can't be bothered (or don't care) to open them up and save them out correctly.
10. Self improvement. If they didn't learn it the first time, they don't want to be bothered to learn it now. And don't bother them with anything new.
There's always more, but this is a good start.
See my other Top Ten thread here.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 06 Apr 2011, 04:31

Fonts and pictures collected by hand. Call for the missing link and chance are that you will be told: I'm sure the file you're talking about is on the DVD!

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 06 Apr 2011, 04:41

As a prepress man, I agree!... As a designer,... well... you gave me some wonderful ideas! [:D]

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 06 Apr 2011, 05:05

A brochures of 16 pages entirely made in Photoshop. Text black 8 pts in four color. And deep rich black background with reversed type 6 pts white.

rv-

Post by rv- » 06 Apr 2011, 05:28

Too much fonts! Less is more
Colors whose name is "C100+M70" and the real color is different
Runarounds everywhere: when you move a box all text goes its way!
Font Euro sans when the font contains the euro symbol
Bleed without frontiers
Pictures boxes larger than the pics inside
Trapping gifts
Missing fonts, missing pics
InDesign layouts
but yes, definitively the worse is text centered

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 06 Apr 2011, 09:37

Please send PDF for approval to theses adresses: adress1@costumer.com and adress2@client.ca. I received a go to print from custumer.com and an alteration to make on all pages from client.ca ... one hour later.

William Bragg

Post by William Bragg » 08 Jun 2011, 09:13

Not enough white space.Fill every bit of space with something.

bluegreen

Post by bluegreen » 10 Oct 2011, 09:44

Looks like my list.I'll add:"Can you open this file for me?" It is a .pub file."Can you fix this for me?" It is a .pub file.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 10 Oct 2011, 10:03

I'll give another one that has irritated me since 2000. Newspaper layout designers who either build their ads on the page and leave them there and then copy the layout document forward for each edition. Or who build their ads in separate documents and then open each and every ad document to copy and paste into the main layout document.
Then they wonder why they have H&J issues and runaround issues! Either set that up right to begin with or use the simple way. Inside ad document, File>Save Page as EPS!

ultimajohn

Post by ultimajohn » 30 Nov 2011, 02:20

Yes. I totally agree with this. I just hate how naive other designers can be. I noticed you listed "Unformatted Text Boxes" Text boxes are the biggest peeves I have when it comes to design...gosh I hate this. I have a list of dozens of annoyances that I've noticed on other designers. I'm sure I have a few things that others find irritating, but at least I'm not naive and strive to better my mistakes. Here are some things that I've notices others do...

-In web design, some webmasters don't make the cursor point on a link. How is one suppose to know a it is a link when you hover the mouse over it and it has no difference in change.

-Tiny Form Boxes. Gosh. This is probably the biggest peeve I have. I hate when I have to type in my email and half way through and can't see how much I've already typed. What if I forgot to type a letter and I couldn't notice it because the box was too small? Now when I click submit I'll get an error saying, "Invalid email entry."

- Font Types Galore. How amateurish it looks when people use millions of fonts. Stick to one font on your site. It makes things easier to look over.

Thanks for this incredible post. If you are stating these annoyances, that means you are aware of them. And if you are aware of them, you are making a conscious effort to improve. Awesomeness!

Return to “Sofa Threads”