Top Ten List of Designer/Operator Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
ultimajohn

Post by ultimajohn » 30 Nov 2011, 02:20

Yes. I totally agree with this. I just hate how naive other designers can be. I noticed you listed "Unformatted Text Boxes" Text boxes are the biggest peeves I have when it comes to design...gosh I hate this. I have a list of dozens of annoyances that I've noticed on other designers. I'm sure I have a few things that others find irritating, but at least I'm not naive and strive to better my mistakes. Here are some things that I've notices others do...

-In web design, some webmasters don't make the cursor point on a link. How is one suppose to know a it is a link when you hover the mouse over it and it has no difference in change.

-Tiny Form Boxes. Gosh. This is probably the biggest peeve I have. I hate when I have to type in my email and half way through and can't see how much I've already typed. What if I forgot to type a letter and I couldn't notice it because the box was too small? Now when I click submit I'll get an error saying, "Invalid email entry."

- Font Types Galore. How amateurish it looks when people use millions of fonts. Stick to one font on your site. It makes things easier to look over.

Thanks for this incredible post. If you are stating these annoyances, that means you are aware of them. And if you are aware of them, you are making a conscious effort to improve. Awesomeness!

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 30 Nov 2011, 03:43

ultimajohn wrote:- Font Types Galore. How amateurish it looks when people use millions of fonts. Stick to one font on your site. It makes things easier to look over.

I agree. I was taught early on in my career that when designing ads, you use a maximum of two font types. One serif, and one sans-serif. If you can do it with one, fine, but two max. Makes it more readable. If you cannot get your message across with two type faces then adding more will just confuse the issue. Some people seem to think design means using every font you have!
ultimajohn wrote: Thanks for this incredible post. If you are stating these annoyances, that means you are aware of them. And if you are aware of them, you are making a conscious effort to improve. Awesomeness!

Always trying to improve. I've been dealing with horrible customer/user documents since day one. The worst offenders are the people in my industry or ones that are closely related. I can cut a customer some slack if this is not what they do, but as designers we all should know better. At the very least pick up a book or read a website. Information on good design is easy to get these days.
I ranted in this post because at the time I was fed up with dealing with multiple bad documents that day. See my other post for my top ten list on customer/ad rep annoyances. I think I linked to it up there earlier.

eyoungren

Re: Top Ten List of Designer/Operator Annoyances

Post by eyoungren » 19 Nov 2014, 23:37

Continuing with my theme of resurrecting dead threads…

Some of my latest peeves.

• Guides everywhere!
• Unlocatable original art!
• Designers who still can't figure out how to embed fonts when saving a PDF from Photoshop
• Even worse, designers who did their ad in InDesign (or XPress) and sent you a flattened PDF with NO embedded fonts (essentially an image)!!!
• Newspapers who encrypt and password protect their ad proofs! Do you not realize it takes me five minutes of my valuable time to crack your encryption and save out an editable PDF? Seriously, stop wasting my time!
• Designers who send you a "camera ready" ad AND the CORRECTIONS to go along with it!!!
• Black copy, set to overprint. Now made white (forgot about the overprint), new PDF made - where's the copy?!!!!
• Wading through a sea of irrelevant images, objects and copy in a PDF because the designer simply dropped white boxes over the existing items instead of deleting them! Some people are just fantastically lazy!

Jean-Marie Schwartz

Post by Jean-Marie Schwartz » 20 Nov 2014, 04:42

:D or :cry:
Jean-Marie Schwartz

= Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel 2.8 GHz • 10 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 • Mac OS 10.10.5 • QuarkXPress 9.5.4.1 + QuarkXPress 2017 • Adobe CS5 =

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 20 Nov 2014, 05:06

Die lines on hidden non printing layers, then getting shirty when we "mistakenly" ask for a die line, then when we are told its on a "Layer" and we look at it we find the "mirror" die line for the back isn't a mirror but a different size and with creases in different positions :o

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 18 Feb 2015, 10:43

I got a new one. Drop shadows - just because you can add them to everything on a page doesn't mean you should.

"Hey, why don't we add a big, giant drop shadow to all that 9-point type on every page?"

Ummm. Yeeeah. Let's not do that. Ever.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 20 Feb 2015, 11:41

shaharaperil wrote:I got a new one. Drop shadows - just because you can add them to everything on a page doesn't mean you should.

"Hey, why don't we add a big, giant drop shadow to all that 9-point type on every page?"

Ummm. Yeeeah. Let's not do that. Ever.
Absolutely. One of the first things I was taught by an Ad Compositor was to only use an effect if it enhanced the ad. Some designers seem to think that adding a lot of effects draw attention and makes the piece "cool" or whatever. All it does is draw confusion and makes people lose interest.

An effect, appropriately applied, should never stand out to the average person but should always enhance the ad or artwork.

Return to “Sofa Threads”