Hi! I'm newbie

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Divaesque

Hi! I'm newbie

Post by Divaesque » 11 Sep 2011, 09:21

Hi everyone, I'm new here. How's everyone doing?hope all is well

eyoungren

Hi! I'm newbie

Post by eyoungren » 12 Sep 2011, 16:18

Hello! Sorry I missed your post the other day. We don't get a lot of introductions here on the Sofa.
Welcome to the Quark Forums. If you need anything, just ask. Quark has plenty of helpful employees here and there are a lot of regulars (including myself) that are here to help.

shaharaperil

Hi! I'm newbie

Post by shaharaperil » 03 Nov 2011, 05:47

Hi Divaesque. Doing well here. How are you?

Though, honestly, I could be doing a bit better if people in this industry realized the difference between making last minute changes in a print document and last minute changes in a web or video file. If you want to make a bunch of fixes in a print file, it's usually fairly easy and I can do it in about 5 or 10 minutes, depending on the changes. But similar fixes in a web or video project could mean an enormous amount of time spent fixing, rendering, re-encoding, and retesting. It's really annoying when someone gives you changes to a print file that they could have found the first time around if they had been paying attention to what they were doing. But it's even more infuriating when someone says, "Oh yeah. Can you add another button with an entirely new menu to that site you just finished? I forgot to give it to you the last time." Or even worse, when someone comes to you at 4:30 PM and says, "Can you make a 5th set of changes to that video file and have it done by the end of the day?" Ummm. Seeing as how I leave at 5 PM and it took me an hour and a half to render the video the last time I was given last minute changes, the answer would be, "No."

Other than that gripe, all is well. lol.

thatkeith

Hi! I'm newbie

Post by thatkeith » 14 Nov 2011, 03:50

We need to be ready to say 'no'. And mean it, and be able to explain - sweetly but succinctly - exactly why.[sigh]

shaharaperil

Hi! I'm newbie

Post by shaharaperil » 14 Nov 2011, 04:18

Very true. People who don't work on these kinds of projects on a regular basis sometimes don't realize all the work that goes into them. I had to explain that to someone recently who told me that she has no idea how I do what I do and she said it all seems like "magic" to her. I had to explain that performing this "magic" on some occasions often times requires more advance notice than others.

Return to “Sofa Threads”