Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by eyoungren » 06 Oct 2011, 05:11

Steve, I'm no Apple fanboi. But I am an Apple fan and I love Apple products. I switched in 2002 because Macs and Apple devices just work. But I have always been on an Apple computer in some way or another since 1983 when my mother brought home an Apple IIe for a brief moment of time.
Steve, your vision has enabled me to get things done time and again where other computers would have failed. Your vision has allowed me and the companies I work for to remain relevant and productive in an economically challenged era where there is often no room for upgrading. At home, your vision has given me and my family enjoyment, solved problems and been an ever present help in the form of the products you designed.
Wherever you are Steve, thank you!
[em]"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It is life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new."[/em]
[em][/em][em]-- Steve Jobs, 2005 Stanford Commencment Address[/em]

ronwel

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by ronwel » 06 Oct 2011, 07:45

Well said eyoungren.
Steve, your life and vision will be remembered. Thank-you.

shaun

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by shaun » 06 Oct 2011, 07:59

Amen to that.
A truly creative genius. We could do with more like him.

max.peter

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by max.peter » 06 Oct 2011, 09:10

I've posted his whole speach at Stanford on my blog. The three stories from his life are truly stimulative.
Erik, your words are beautiful!

eyoungren

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by eyoungren » 06 Oct 2011, 11:58

This is directed to no one in particular. I am just saying what I feel right now. And I believe many of you see it the same way.
Whatever platform we use to do our daily jobs. Whatever form our daily jobs take. Whatever app we use to do our jobs. There is nothing in our world, our industry, our chosen field or profession that Steve Jobs through Apple did not influence.
Because of the Apple Macintosh there is a Desktop Publishing industry. Because of the Apple Macintosh there are legions of graphic designers since 1984 who have never known an Xacto knife or what the heck Rubylith is. Because of the Apple iMac, the Macintosh is known far and wide outside of the design studio. Because of iTunes and the iPod, music is different! The iPhone connects us. The iPad cuts the bonds to our desktops. Even if you do not use or never have used a single Apple product at all - you have still been influenced because the tech industry followed Apple. Do you have an MP3 player, a slick phone or a ultraslim laptop or tablet? Why? Because Apple made the iPod, the iPhone, the MacBook Air and the iPad FIRST.
We often use our Apple devices and tools every day without thinking about it. What would you do if they took your Mac, your iPod, your iPhone and your iPad away tomorrow? Could you function without them. Sure. But would it be as easy? Would it be as intuitive? As graceful? As simple? As beautiful as using an Apple product?
Our industry in particular owes a debt to Steve Jobs. He has made what we do simple and easy to everyone who does not have the training or experience we have. We complain when they screw it up. But if not for Steve Jobs. If not for Apple. Would we all be doing what we do now as well as we do it?
I don't mean to be sappy or over emotional. Yes, Apple is not a church and Steve is not Jesus (or the second coming). And Microsoft and the IBM clone also had their influence. But does Microsoft have a reputation for beauty and design aesthetics? Are you using a MS device over 5 years old that still functions and turns heads?
Credit must be given where credit is due. Steve Jobs deserves the credit even if many of us often disagreed with him.
One more thing If the old has been cleared away to make room for the new. Can you just imagine what we will see next?!

rcantin

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by rcantin » 07 Oct 2011, 04:22

eyoungren wrote:One last thought.
You should have said: One more thing...

eyoungren

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by eyoungren » 07 Oct 2011, 04:27

LOL! Look again!

rcantin

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by rcantin » 07 Oct 2011, 04:43

Now youre talking!I remember a program on the radio. It was a sort of Tech guys ranting about the Macs.Want you tell me why Apple have to put the Icons on the right side of the screen since every other computer in the world have their Icons on the left?It never come to his mind that Apple created those Icons and every other computer in the world had just cut and paste the idea...

eyoungren

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by eyoungren » 07 Oct 2011, 05:30

rcantin wrote:Now youre talking!I remember a program on the radio. It was a sort of Tech guys ranting about the Macs.Want you tell me why Apple have to put the Icons on the right side of the screen since every other computer in the world have their Icons on the left?It never come to his mind that Apple created those Icons and every other computer in the world had just cut and paste the idea...

I hear you. If that guy had taken a moment to think things through he might also have realized something else. No offense to left-handed people, but the majority of people in the world are right handed. For me, the fact that icons are on the right side makes it so much easier when I go to click on them. With Windows, invariably I have to move the mouse over to the left.
Little things like that make the difference.

thatkeith

Steve Jobs 1955 - 2011

Post by thatkeith » 14 Nov 2011, 01:20

That's hysterical - could they not come up with anything even remotely meaningful to talk about? In fact, with standard Macintosh OS behaviour ever since the Multifinder and then System 7, having icons appear on the right makes MORE sense, since they're less likely to be covered by a document window - which is fitted to the left and isn't necessarily full-screen, unlike the blinkered one-thing-at-a-time maximized concept that MS Windows is based on.

Return to “Sofa Threads”