Best Thing Since Sliced Images!

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
William Bragg

Post by William Bragg » 25 Jun 2011, 16:47

I believe that Style Sheets is the best feature of QuarkXPress for productivity. What's your favorite feature?

migman

Post by migman » 25 Jun 2011, 16:59

These guys:

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 25 Jun 2011, 17:15

Exporting transparency natively via Postscript file using PDFMarks when exporting as PDF and then being able to use Acrobat Distiller to generate a PDF with native transparency embedded from the PS file.
Drag and drop image import.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 25 Jun 2011, 20:15

Eirk is right, ability to work with transparency is great.
There are also other excellent features I'm using: Super Step and Repeat, Item Find-Change, Conditional Styles, XML Import.
Overall, I think there are certain appreciated features by a user, depending on his abilities and knowledges. QuarkXPress is "a great piece of technology" (I remember this phrase from Stargate Universe on TV [:D]).

William Bragg

Post by William Bragg » 26 Jun 2011, 07:31

Erik, since you mentioned PDFs, I have a question for you concerning their creation.
In XPress 8.5, I want to Create PostScript File for Later Distilling in Acrobat Distiller. I Export Layout as PDF, choose a PDF Style (Press), modify any options.
My question is: Are the QuarkXPress PDF Styles and options used, when I run the Postscript file through Distiller or does Distiller use its own Settings options for Press Quality?
I hope I explained this correctly. Most of my work still goes out as QuarkXPress documents, but some of my printers would now prefer PDFs.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 26 Jun 2011, 07:47

Both your Output style and the Job Option are used.
When you Export the PS file XPress will apply the Output Style you use. Distiller will then also apply it's own job options. So, you have to be sure of what you are exporting first.
When I use this route I usually have higher quality settings, my color output is usually set to not manage or convert color (as best I can set it in XPress) and I am usually Exporting Transparency Natively (this is pretty much the only reason I use Export for). So, by the time my Distiller job option gets applied I know I will have a decent PDF.
Otherwise I am usually Saving Page as EPS or printing to postscript. Both of which flatten transparency.
To get a transparent PDF from Distiller, see this.

William Bragg

Post by William Bragg » 26 Jun 2011, 08:35

If XPress PDF Options and Distiller Settings differ, which are used in Distiller?
I tried this for an experiment. In XPress, I created a PostScript File for Later Distilling in Acrobat Distiller. I chose Press for PDF Style.
When I distilled this file in Distiller, I chose Smallest File Size for Adobe PDF Settings. However, the graphic (photo) in the resulting PDF was Press Quality.
Distiller seems to have used the XPress PDF Style Press and not the Distiller PDF Setting.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 26 Jun 2011, 08:55

There is a setting in the Job Options to allow PS files to override Distiller settings. For the Job Option you chose in Distiller this is probably checked. When it's checked the settings in the PS file override those of the Job Options.
Forgot about that setting. Which makes it possible to Distill using the Output Option from XPress.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 29 Jun 2011, 06:11

My favourite feature in Quark is the measurements palette. Positioning stuff to 1000th of a millimetre... how cool is that! :)

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 29 Jun 2011, 09:01

Glenn McDowall wrote:My favourite feature in Quark is the measurements palette. Positioning stuff to 1000th of a millimetre... how cool is that! :)
I wonder how many smileys are crammed into this post!One of my all time favorites is the ability to Jabber in Klingon...

Return to “Sofa Threads”