Line ending styles

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.
Jiri Melnicky

Line ending styles

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 12 Apr 2017, 14:18

Query for creators of Quark. How many years do we wait? Thank you for answer...

Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Line ending styles

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 20 Apr 2017, 04:53

Hi Jiri,

the decision is all with you, that's why every two years we let everybody vote on the priority of wishlist features.
And start to implement them then from the top.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

AndAnAs

Post by AndAnAs » 20 Apr 2017, 08:56

Jiri, hi! Use my hints:

1) Draw any path.
2) Click Item> Content> Text.
3) FOR LINE ENDINGS. Add text to path: any dingbat for start curve, one keyboard space, dingbat for end of curve, and press Ctrl + Enter. Use Glyph palette.
FOR FIGURED LINE. Add text to path: any dingbats from start to end and more, for a possible scale. Use Copy/Paste. And press Ctrl + Enter. Change size, color and tracking in Measurement Palette.
4) Select all text and change text alignment to Justify. Use Measurements Palette> Text Path> Align Text & Text Tab> Baseline for precise vertical alignment of dingbats.

FOR FIGURED BOX FRAME
1) Draw any box.
2) Use Scissors tool for cut box in any point.
3) Add text to path: any dingbats from start to end. Use Copy/Paste.

stuarte76

Post by stuarte76 » 16 Mar 2018, 06:44

This feature is a must, it's pathetic that we would have to vote for this!

It should be in the software - period, there are plenty of pointless extra features that I'll never use coming up in Q2018 - how about something that would actually aid us designers without having to use workarounds!

My company pays good money for the software and whilst it has greatly improved over the years I can not believe such a basic feature is missing.

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Mar 2018, 06:47

stuarte76 wrote:there are plenty of pointless extra features that I'll never use coming up in Q2018
Which ones please?

Thanks
Matthias
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:

stuarte76

Post by stuarte76 » 16 Mar 2018, 07:12

For me as a graphic designer I use Quark to create printed materials - the Unlimited Android Apps, Digital Preview Improvements, HTML5 Export Optimizations, Grouped Interactivity, Collect for Output Digital etc are features that I'd rarely need to use.

Whilst adding arrowhead styles may not seem as exciting as the new digital/web/app features, it would actually be really useful to us old school dinosaurs. You introduced some magnificent page layout features in 2016 & 2017 - would adding arrow styles really be that difficult for you guys to achieve?

I am Quarks biggest champion in my company, I've been using it since the beginning, yet there are many that would prefer to switch to In-Design - OVER MY DEAD BODY and I have a major say in what is purchased!

Go on make a loyal older designers day and at least think about in for one of the future updates to 2018.

Thanks for getting back to me

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 16 Mar 2018, 07:23

For example: Color fonts, frames with different edges. I absolutely understand that marketing is interesting. Yes, InDesign does not have it, but honestly, how many users will use these features? QuarkXPress is missing some absolutely basic features today. When I have time, I'll write a list of 30 features a professional graphic artist needs every day, but Quark does not offer them. I like Quark, but it really is sad that the basic functions must be voted!
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Mar 2018, 07:35

And that's exactly our challenge, we have so many customers working in different geographies and industries that it is impossible to come to a consensus.

Hardly any feature is "difficult", all features take time (in implementing and testing). So even the smallest feature competes for resources.

Sure we can make (and are making) guesses where the industry is going, like PDF/A is a requirement that is quickly coming, though not many people are asking for it yet. Also nobody asked for making PDF editable and that's one of the most praised feature saving time.

To avoid us making wrong assumptions, we introduced the public ranking where we have invited all customers (and non-customers) to rank the importance of features on the wishlist. I feel that's the most "objective" way of finding out whether a feature is "so basic and absolutely" needed that we should add it.

Thanks
Matthias

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 16 Mar 2018, 19:47

Also nobody asked for making PDF editable and that's one of the most praised feature saving time.
see below 7d ;)
also note point 3 is actually happening... but in the recently announced Pitstop 2018, sadly not quark as yet
PrePress Suggestions Revisited
Post a reply

2 posts • Page 1 of 1
PrePress Suggestions Revisited
Postby Glenn McDowall » April 3rd, 2009, 3:47 am

I posted these originally back in july2007but i think they are still valid, are any of them Work in Progress yet?

1. Separations preview. (my favourite illustrator CS4 new feature)
2. Ink Manager with the ability to map one ink to another.

3. Ability to choose and reset cmyk breakdowns from imported PANTONE colours rather than be forced to use built in libraries. This means that you would be able to export to pdf with spot colours but have control over their cmyk alternate values.

4. Ability to turn colour management OFF.

5. An output mode that clearly indicates that rgb will be converted to cmyk using profiles and that cmyk numbers will be untouched (Device Dependant in a PDF)

6. PSD Import that supports the multiply and darken modes amongst others.

7. PDF import.
7a. Keep transparency live.
7b. Ability to NOT internally change to postscript.
7c. Ability to turn PDF Layers on and off.
7d. Ability to Explode the pdf into editable quark elements with a collected folder of pics generated.
7e. Ability to re-map colours in placed pdfs.

8. Support for transparency Exporting to PDF.

9. Flattening that keeps vector elements vector.

10. One click conversion of Microsoft Word into quark file.

11. Ability to add the actual ICC profiles in pdfs not just 'based on names'.

12. Ability to define PDF trim, art crop bleed boxes etc, and retain them via print.

13. DCS to composite pdf.

14. Support for RAW images.

15. Horizontal spine pages. eg setting up a calendar.

16. Ability to mirror a group of objects.
17. make this forum work properly with Safari.

7d is a bit hidden but this would be an excellent feature, I'd like to see the functionalty of Prinergy 5's PDF Editor but with Pitstop Extremes text handling.
Am I asking too much :)

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 17 Mar 2018, 04:24

15. Yes Yes Yes. I need this several times a year. Brochure V1 with stitched in the head. Several language mutations in the layers. In Quark, creating something like this is a "real experience"!

16. QuarkXPress2018 - new feature: Flip Groups - Flip grouped objects in one go retaining their relative position within the group. ;)

Return to “Suggestion Box”