Select working Volume for XenonCache

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.
mac_nick

Select working Volume for XenonCache

Post by mac_nick » 08 May 2015, 02:11

It would be great if I could select the working volume for xenon cache in preferences. All major programs let you select a working volume. It would be great to have the cache on a raid volume or any external volume. The boot volume where the applications folder and QuarkXPress is located, does not get filled up so fas,t especially when it is a small PCIe drive where every MB counts. Or if you are on the road with any mobile mac equipped with a smaller drive. You can put the cache on a external device an don't care about the size of the cache.

mac_nick

Re: Select working Volume for XenonCache

Post by mac_nick » 28 May 2015, 13:32

I reply to my own post. Today I cleaned my 2015 xenon cache of the last two weeks: more than 60 GB!

AndAnAs

Post by AndAnAs » 02 Jun 2015, 12:49

oh my god!
it should not take so much volume!
and it should be cleared automatically!
if my ssd hdd 128 gb formed such cache, armageddon will happen ((

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 29 Mar 2016, 08:28

Just as an FYI, as we are changing the strategy in QuarkXPress 2016:

QuarkXPress 10/2015
  • QuarkXPress runs a cache cleaner every 2 weeks and automatically deletes cache files older than 90 days.
  • You can always run the Cache Cleaner manually (it's in the QuarkXPress folder under Tools).
QuarkXPress 2016
In QuarkXPress 2016 we have implemented a different caching strategy. Cache creation and updates are now done by completely different threads, meaning it is fast enough to create each time.

So QuarkXPress 2016 will do the following:
  1. Clear the document specific cache when a document is closed
  2. Clear the complete cache on every launch
Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

Studiokey

Post by Studiokey » 06 Apr 2017, 03:54

Hi Matthias, thanks for your explanation.
Unfortunately the cache folder size represents a serious issue for my workflow: when I open a catalogue full of images, my SSD gets completely filled up and I cannot save anything else! Is there a way to set a cache size limit? I am also concerned about the lifespan of my SSD: wouldn't it be affected by so many writing/deleting cicles?

Return to “Suggestion Box”