missing keyboard shortcuts

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.
rosettapublishing

missing keyboard shortcuts

Post by rosettapublishing » 07 Aug 2015, 11:27

I use both PC and Macs in my business.

V11.0.2 on PC has the cmd M and shift cmd F available which are great shortcuts to change paragraph settings, drop caps etc.
cmd M straight to number columns to a text box and all manner of other goodies

but these shortcuts have been removed from Mac V11.0.1, I want them back.

I've been fed a load of old tosh about enhanced user experience etc, see my lovely chat with support.
QUOTE "The Modify dialogue has been replaced with the measurements palette to avoid taking people into a modal dialogue and breaking up the design experience."

Design experience, this is a production tool not for someone to muck about all day long, I have magazines to get out, not lovely shapes

Get real

[05:16 AM] Aayush: Hello Martin! My name is Aayush and I would be helping you with the issue.
[05:17 AM] Aayush: I would like to inform you that the feature that you are looking to use has been removed from Macintosh operating systems
[05:18 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: Well I want it back!
[05:18 AM] Aayush: You may find the Modify palette settings in the Measurements Palette
[05:20 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: That's too slow the whole point of QuarkXpress is the shortcuts that were to be used, why are they not now available on the Mac but are on the PC
[05:20 AM] Aayush: In order to perform Command+Shift+F, please click on the chain to unlock the X and Y axis of the box as it keeps the picture constraint which disables it to scale to the box
[05:21 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: command shift F used to bring up the paragraph attributes nothing to do with pictures!!!!!
[05:22 AM] Aayush: The Modify dialogue has been replaced with the measurements palette to avoid taking people into a modal dialogue and breaking up the design experience.
[05:22 AM] Aayush: All keyboard shortcuts have been mapped to the new features on the measurements palette.
[05:23 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: No they have not, it a pile of bull shit 'modal dialogue'? Where did that come from?
[05:24 AM] Aayush: In which version did you use Command+Shift+F to bring the Paragraph Attributes?
[05:24 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: its available now in version 10.0.2 on the PC
[05:25 AM] Aayush: Martin, I am trying to help you with the issue and would request you to update the version to the latest version of QuarkXPress 10.5.2 as it is suggested to use the latest version available
[05:26 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: sorry I've confused you, I'm on version 11.0.1 on the Mac and version 11.0.2 on the PC
[05:28 AM] Aayush: I am sure it is available on Windows and is available in the latest version as well however, it is not available in Mac
[05:28 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: Why not?
[05:32 AM] Aayush: It is because it is a UI enhancement in Mac OSX having Cocoa
[05:33 AM] Aayush: Since it is based on the operating systems, it has been moved to Measurements Palette but is the same Windows operating systems
[05:35 AM] Aayush: Are you there?
[05:37 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: Yes
[05:37 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: So i get a less productive way of working,
[05:38 AM] Aayush: Martin, I apologize about not being able to help you much with the issue however the changes have been made to give better look and feel & experience to our customers
[05:39 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: That's rubbish if this was true why isn't the PC version the same better look and feel?
[05:41 AM] Aayush: As there is no Cocoa for Windows, so the UI enhancements are application only for Mac
[05:42 AM] Aayush: applicable*
[05:43 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: In my opinion they are not an enhancement they are retrograde step
[05:43 AM] Aayush: Is there anything else that I may help you with?
[05:43 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: The measurement palet is so small that it is hard to read
[05:43 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: In fact it is rubbish
[05:44 AM] Aayush: I understand however the measurements palette have always been of the same size
[05:45 AM] Aayush: With QuarkXPress 10, you can dock the Measurements Palette in Mac OSX however the same is not possible in Windows
[05:46 AM] Aayush: Is there anything else that I may help you with?
[05:47 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: Can you move the measurement palette in v11 mac
[05:48 AM] Aayush: Yes definitely!
[05:48 AM] Aayush: You may move it to the top
[05:48 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: How?
[05:49 AM] Aayush: Please press and hold the Measurements Palette from the left corner and move it on the top
[05:50 AM] MARTIN QUINCE: thank you
[05:50 AM] Aayush: My pleasure!

inflector

Re: missing keyboard shortcuts

Post by inflector » 07 Aug 2015, 13:22

I could live without the modal dialog for text/picture box and paragraph, but I would really love to define a shortcut command-M (on Mac) that selects the text/picture box tab.

I can reach all other tabs with shortcuts, but not this one (no way to define a command in Preferences -> Key Shortcuts). Could you bring this back?

Arthur68

Post by Arthur68 » 07 Aug 2015, 14:11

inflector wrote:I could live without the modal dialog for text/picture box and paragraph
But I dont! Please Quark: as Inflector said, we want XPress as a productive tool, and we are using it for our job, not for gaming. And we need the «old» modal boxes, all of them.

tilmanlo

Post by tilmanlo » 25 Aug 2015, 05:10

Yes, please bring back cmd+m.
And wouldn't it be great to see the configured shortcuts for the tabs on mouse over as tool-tip?

rosettapublishing

Post by rosettapublishing » 17 Sep 2015, 03:45

Bring back command M, my design experience is not enhanced without it

And I'm struggling to get my tool preferences changed.

Why do you mess with it

We are in production and need to get on, without having to retrace steps we thought we'd sorted years ago

Return to “Suggestion Box”