Quark still ignores Word text boxes!!!

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.
geirrosset

Quark still ignores Word text boxes!!!

Post by geirrosset » 13 Aug 2015, 07:24

This to me is just crazy. QuarkXPress (version 11) still ignores text boxes in Word documents upon import. No warning that they exist, no trace of the text, nothing. Please tell me I am doing it wrong.

Geir

geirrosset

Re: Quark still ignores Word text boxes!!!

Post by geirrosset » 21 Aug 2015, 08:44

Almost 400 views and not a single reply. Not that I was expecting anyone to have a solution. But doesn't anyone see this as a huge oversight? A reply from Quark would be nice? A 200 page Word document with 100 illustrations and 100 captions in text boxes and QXP just dumps several hundred lines of text upon import without as much as a pop up to tell us about it!?

Johannes

Re: Quark still ignores Word text boxes!!!

Post by Johannes » 28 Aug 2015, 11:24

Hi Geir,

well, I have to say: I do a lot of my typesetting work in Word. Cleaning up all the mess, authors and editors and translators are putting in—you will know all this (and learn tomorrow something new …). So I don’t have such problems.
That’s my workflow in very short: Adding all the necessary paragraph styles and some basic character style (italic, bold, …) for inline markup to the Word-doc, applying them and delete all the unbelievable things I got. For an overview I often use different colours for different headlines, indents for different paragraphs—in the end the *.docx-file looks very strange! The names of styles must be the same in Word and XPress, but not the styling.
I then export it with a small software as a *xtg—it’s qXport from Bitmix (http://www.bitmix.de — only in german).
This xtg-file I then open in a texteditor and use GREP search/replace for adding all the other inline styles.
Importing this xtg-file in XPress and my books are almost finished. And no hassle with strange formatting or styling in Word.
I know, no help for your problem by now, but maybe a way around?

Regards,
Johannes

Return to “Suggestion Box”