Quark Features I Wish To See

Want to improve the Quark XPerience? Drop your suggestion(s) here, including feature wishes for future versions of QuarkXPress.
Jon Buckley 1

Post by Jon Buckley 1 » 13 Jul 2004, 14:31

:idea:

My requests to improve Quark XPress

1I like to design based on Golden Section proportion, or on other proportion relative to the page size I am working on. I frequently rely on baseline grid to divide up my pages vertically. For instance, if I want 12 equal vertical spaces, I'll use a pica measure that allows me to divide my pages by twelve and plug that into the baseline grid. There is no horizontal equivalent to this. Breaking up a page by columns forces a gutter. This is imprecise. Gutters between columns are tyranny forced on us by Quark engineers. This requirement should be eliminated. If I want multiple columns with no gutter I ought to be able to have it. Makes drawing columns easier. Makes placing elements precisely much easier as well.

2Once my page is divided, I then use the baseline grid to set my type. This removes my page baseline page grid and replaces it with my type grid. What I would like to see is a grid independent of baseline grid. This will help me to quickly place items by the measure that I decide. This grid should be horizontally and vertically independent so that I cans set it to my own h:w ratio.

3Hanging punctuation. Can't do it. Ought to be able to. I met with a Quark representative awhile back, and I was told that their software engineers were not typesetters. It's clear Quark needs real typesetters on staff. Hanging punctuation is vital to beautifully set type... ragged, centered or justified. This ought to be an option.

4.Quark forces a typographic scale on the user which should be completely customizable. Currently it is not. Quark forces the default type sizes as 7pt, 9, 10, 12, 14, 18, 24, 36, 48, 60, 72, etc. However, if my document has a style that runs 6 pt, 8, 10, 13, 16, 21, 26, 34, 42, 55, 68, etc., I ought to be able to program that in on a document-by-document basis. Same goes for leading... there ought to be some automatic steps in leading of my choosing that I can jump to with a key command, i.e.: 10 pt lead, 13, 16, 21, 26, 34, etc.

5.Everyone at Quark ought to read these two books: "The Elements of Typographic Style" by Robert Bringhurst and "The Complete Manual of Typography" by James Felici. There is so much in these manuals that should be brought into Quark, it would be impossible to list them all.

This is just a start. As time goes on I will likely expand this list.

J Talmadge

Post by J Talmadge » 14 Jul 2004, 13:40

Things I'd like little things really...in no particular order:

View Pre-QXP 6 file icons in finder (even though QXP 5,4 or 3 is not installed).

Built in Flight Check

Spelling/Grammar checker like MS Word.

Post-PDF features such as reduce file size, convert to cmyk/rgb, etc.

Ability to Save-As a nice quality jpg or gif

Transparencies

Save down to 4.11 (just for a year or two 'till everyone else catches up).

And that's it for now.

Jon Buckley 1

Post by Jon Buckley 1 » 15 Jul 2004, 08:16

:idea:

Shortly after sending my note, we stumbled upon Guide Manager. It looks
precisely like what I am after. I'm so happy, I'm positively giddy... and
I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work with it. One down!

The zero gutter could definitely have it's uses when multiple column
material is being used on a page. It could help as I frequently use a
columned text box as a flexible spacing/measuring tool.

I now have it on very good authority that the hanging punctuation issue is being addressed by Quark.

Additional requests:

1 How about building in functionality like PopCharX or something
similar? This would be most helpful with Glyph faces, when searching for
just the right dingbat. Apple OS X uses a neat trick in TextEdit and Mail
that allows one to highlight a word while holding down the CONTROL key... a
drop-down list pops up with spelling options. That might be a neat way to
get a special characters window to pop up.

2 Regarding hanging punctuation, please take particular note on page 189-190 of the Bringhurst book, "The Elements of Typographic Style" which describes URW Hamburg's work with Herman Zapf to develop the HZ program for typesetting. The object was to achieve the "impeccable evenness of the margins and the word spacing Gutenberg achieved..." The components of HZ included:

A) Optical alignment of characters at the left and right margins with
half-hung punctuation

B) Kerning on the fly from an algorithmic matrix rather than a table

C) H&J calculations based on the net benefit to the paragraph instead of
line-by-line

3 I'm sure Quark is aware of the spinning-beach-ball-of-death issue.
Anything to speed things up would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Post by Linda » 15 Jul 2004, 12:20

Appendable Hyphenation Exceptions (my first wish, I've been asking for years)

H&J settings in character styles, not just paragraph styles

Multiple baseline grids

Optional "add space here/do not add space here" rules for the times when you HAVE to vertically justify a page

Pasteboard guides on Master Pages should show up on Document pages

Renaming of duplicate Master Pages when they show up as the result of a Thumbnail Drag

Unicode support!

Kplumb1

Post by Kplumb1 » 15 Jul 2004, 13:14

The ability to use the layers functionality on Master Pages. It's really disturbing to me that I can create layouts that use both Master Pages and Layers, but the two functions are mutually excusive. If you move an object to any layer besides the default layer, it detaches the connection from the Master Page. Myself, I'd like to be able to set up a series of layers in the Master Page and carry those over to all pages created from those masters. That might enable you to place some content such as page numbers, design elements, etc. on a layer that could easily be turned on and off as required.

I hate to say this, but a certain application from Quark's primary competitor allows this functionality in a manner as I'd expect it to work. :oops: Quark XPress still isn't showing me what I'm wanting to see with the layers functionality.

Jon Buckley 1

Post by Jon Buckley 1 » 22 Jul 2004, 10:17

Built in imposition for Quark... take working reader spreads and place them in printer-spreads... especially helpfull for comping spreads to a duplexing printer, not to mention actually going to print.

J Talmadge

Post by J Talmadge » 22 Jul 2004, 14:46

An automatic deletion of temporay files from JAWS folder.

I just saw a post in the general forum and it appears that this folder just keeps getting bigger saving temporary files until you run out of HD space. Something like this should not be allowed to happen.

R

Post by R » 24 Jul 2004, 12:15

i have a very simple request, behyond just making things work well.

How about the capability of holding the shift key down and being able to highlight text in different locations so that, for example, I can make all those highlighted selections bold at the same time, instead of having to highlight each piece of separate text and apply the same style sheet each time.

I can feel my wrist getting better already!

Glenn Shekleton

Post by Glenn Shekleton » 30 Jul 2004, 08:15

[strong]R:[/strong]i have a very simple request, behyond just making things work well.

How about the capability of holding the shift key down and being able to highlight text in different locations so that, for example, I can make all those highlighted selections bold at the same time, instead of having to highlight each piece of separate text and apply the same style sheet each time.

I can feel my wrist getting better already!

Now that is what I call an excellent feature request!

R

Post by R » 30 Jul 2004, 08:37

just another service for Quark that I provide....

Return to “Suggestion Box”