Quark 6 and Quark 8 .... NOT the same colour !

Discuss QuarkXPress color management functionality including DeviceN workflows
967stuart

Post by 967stuart » 30 Jun 2011, 00:31

Had a customer send me a quark document (with all the logos etc collected).

Bit of background -

Original file was set in Quark 6
Logos were set in Freehand.
the whole job is supposed to be Reflex Blue C (note the "C")

Now, the issue Im having is that when I have output the job in quark 8 the logos have vanished (no errors etc..... just don't print out).

When I re-import the logos a new Reflex Blue appears as - Reflex Blue CVC (new suffix of CVC) , and when I print this out and then get 2 plates indicating the problem (customer has set in 2 different colours effectively).

BUT !!

When I open the file in an old version of Quark6 i have it only reads the colour as Reflex Blue C ! , and prints out the job no problem.

So quark 6 seems incapable of distigushing between Reflex Blue C and Reflex Blue CVC ..... but Quark 8 does !

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 04 Jul 2011, 04:43

967stuart wrote:So quark 6 seems incapable of distigushing between Reflex Blue C and Reflex Blue CVC ..... but Quark 8 does !
From time to time Pantone edit their libraries and release new ones.Just a guess but maybe CVC colors appears after the release of QuarkXPress 6...

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 13 Sep 2011, 02:37

CVC predates Quark6. I sometimes wondered whether Freehand named their Pantones as away of distiguishing them from Illustrator. With quark 3 CVC would appear as a Separate colour to C, and you'd have to edit the EPS with Freehand (change the colour name at source). I can't remember which version of Quark (4 or 5) started to auto map CVC or CVU to just C but whilst this would Separate out correctly to one plate from Quark as soon as you export as a composite file all the C and CVC split out again.
Which version of quark8 is allowing you to see the CVC filename in the Color Pallette? It's one of my why don't you fix this requests to quark to allow you to use a custom Pantone from an EPS.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: Color management”