Transitioning from MAC to Windows

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
jdooley

Transitioning from MAC to Windows

Post by jdooley » 09 Apr 2015, 10:32

We are considering transitioning our graphics department from a MAC environment to Windows. I am wondering if there are problems or issues opening files created on a MAC with a Windows machine. Do older MAC QXP files open? Are file properties intact when opened on the new platform? Are linked images intact? Are there any issues that we should consider prior to making this transition? Thanks in advance.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Transitioning from MAC to Windows

Post by MikeWenzloff » 09 Apr 2015, 10:46

If you can open older files in your present version of Q on the Mac then they will open on the PC using the same Q version.

The biggest issue I can think of is fonts. As long as you are using OpenType fonts, you should be fine. Mac proprietary fonts would be an issue. Most TrueType fonts are probably OK.

I am using a PC and receive and return files from Macs frequently. Only issue I ever face are font related. I would recommend installling Q on a PC and check your files for any issues. And make sure to hang onto at least one (or more) Macs for any issues you do end up happening.

Mike

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 09 Apr 2015, 14:07

Hi J,

as Mike wrote. most things will just transition smoothly, so QuarkXPress Win can open the same versions of QuarkXPress documents as the Mac flavor of the same version can do.

However devil is in the details, a few things that come to my mind immediately:

Besides Type-1 fonts that do not carry over well, it could be file formats that are not common on Windows, so PICT files (often used for screenshots in older versions of Mac OS) or image files with PICT previews (meaning that you might not see the preview).

Then Mac users in the past hardy ever used file extensions, for Windows to operate they are mandatory. So you might have to rename a file called "logo" to "logo.eps" and then links break. That's something you should fix on Mac OS before moving them over, because otherwise afterwards it is just guess works.

Also paths are different, file paths are delimited by colons on Mac, backslashes on Windows. So images might not link over file structures. If you collect them for output, then it will work fine.

Libraries are not cross platform, so please copy items to a document if you need to migrate them.

And Mike's tip is golden, keep a Mac, so that you can always fix things if something goes wrong.

Regards
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

franz.wohlkoenig

Post by franz.wohlkoenig » 10 Apr 2015, 01:06

Hi jdooley,

a Windows>Mac-Problem happens maybe in your Case too: "First Baseline Minimum" in Text-Boxes if set to "Ascent" are different interpreted by XPress between Mac and Windows, so you get often an "Text-Overflow"-Redbox. Solution is to "Item Find/Chance" to "Cap Height".

As Preposters write there are Details, they take time. Like in my Change from Windows to Mac was the Keyboard and Shortcuts the biggest Hurdle. Best Wishes to transitioning, i would do it only for really good Reasons;-)

Regards
27" iMac • 3,1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 12 GB Memory • System: macOS 10.13.6
XPress since 3.1, actual 2018

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 10 Apr 2015, 11:18

Both Mike and Matthias have mentioned fonts, so I will add just one more to this as well.

On Mac, the way fonts work is that you select the correct font family you want and then the correct font face (Bold, Italic, etc). We are told as designers and operators to always use the correct font and not the "B" or "I" buttons for bold and italics and so on.

This is different on a PC. You are supposed to use those buttons. When you print or export, the program will use the correct font family/face as long as it's installed.

I am mentioning this because some Mac-centric folks switching to or using PCs have purchased and installed large font families and then posted on here about "missing fonts," not understanding what I've mentioned above. It can be disconcerting.

Return to “Sofa Threads”