Giving up on Xpress

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018.
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
eyoungren

Re: Giving up on Xpress

Post by eyoungren » 10 Jan 2019, 11:16

I learned XPress 3.0.3 in college. My first job as an Ad Compositor was using XPress 4.0.4.

I am a longtime user and advocate of XPress, but unfortunately due to budget was never able to get past XPress 8.5.1 in paid usage. At the time, version 8 was never optimized for PowerPC Macs and that's the hardware I was using.

I also realized that if I was ever to need another job I had to learn InDesign. So, under my own initiative I converted to ID in 2011 at work. Why not get paid to learn the program? I was never going to learn it on my own time.

I set about creating my own XPress shortcuts in ID. Just about everything I could replicate from XPress I did with ID. I even set up the interface so that keyboard commands would work when used (because ID palettes must be open).

It was a hard conversion and there are still things I hate about ID that XPress does better. Problem for me now is, that I am so far behind the curve with XPress that I don't know the tool anymore in it's present version.

But what I discovered is that XPress is oriented towards the keyboard while InDesign is oriented towards the mouse. Since I'm more of a keyboard person this irritates me with InDesign.

But in any case, having experience in both apps allows me to go anywhere.

Jiri Melnicky

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 10 Jan 2019, 13:05

Sirish Nair (Quark): Invoke Preferences dialog > Go to Key Shortcuts pane.
Correct answer: Be glad you work on MAC. Windows users do not have this option at all!
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 10 Jan 2019, 16:29

Jiri Melnicky wrote:
10 Jan 2019, 13:05
Sirish Nair (Quark): Invoke Preferences dialog > Go to Key Shortcuts pane.
Correct answer: Be glad you work on MAC. Windows users do not have this option at all!
Yes! This is one of those things that I would think could be classed as low-hanging fruit. It should simply be added (and the Mac-only vertical measurement palette).

Who knows? Maybe there will be a poll for those things...

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”