PC to MAC - Is it worth it?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 19 Mar 2012, 02:47

Fonts! A whole other can of worms!
With Leopard Apple put the screws on the system to start favoring it's own fonts. If you delete or remove fonts from the System folders Leopard and above will replace them. Snow Leopard was even more strict and I don't know about Lion. All of the system fonts are DFONTs so if you need a Postscript font of say Helvetica in the System Folder you'll have to work to replace it. There are ways to do that though.
This will explain everything.

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 19 Mar 2012, 04:45

Thanks ErikWow, that does sound a nightmare but I suppose it's a case of sorting out all my type 1 postscript fonts in one go and then turning them on and off as I need them... My main font is a Swiss 721 font which I use for a number of catalogues for a company.. It's a derivative of Helvetica, so I may just be able to add it in without any conflicts... Wait and see what happend when I get the MAC I suppose!Thanks again for the help.

formerly Tony P

Post by formerly Tony P » 19 Mar 2012, 22:06

I think it was I who raised the matter of fonts - I was wondering if, as a long-time Windows user, Marky would have a sizeable collection of Windows-format Type 1 PS fonts and what problems this might imply for reading/editing/using existing legacy documents (and whether he'd need to replace them, adding to the cost of 'converting').
The Extensis guide (linked to above by rcantin - interesting, thank you) says, on p17, that Windows-format Type 1 fonts are *not* supported by Mac OSX (or by font-management apps - can that be right? - but that some Adobe apps can make use of them if they are placed in a specific Adobe app font folder).
I've never attempted (nor needed) to use a Windows PS font on a Mac and just assumed it wouldn't work. But I'm now confused - which of these analyses is correct?
As Erik says, Marky, organization of fonts has its problems but generally you'll find that someone here has trodden that path already...If you tend to use a relatively small selection of fonts over and over, you might get away without using a Font Management package (saving a bit of money for now) - without one the annoyance of an overly-long list of irrelevant fonts appearing in the app's font menu (because they are all in the System) can be overcome to some extent when much of your formatting is done via your style sheets for those regular jobs. Although, if I understand correctly, a Font management app (eg. Suitcase) does give you options for handling potential conflicts if you need Postscript versions of fonts that have a counterpart amongst the System's 'essential' (but non-PS) fonts.
Good luck with the 'big switchover'!

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 19 Mar 2012, 22:33

Thanks Tony... Yes I think I am going to have some font issues, but thankfully, like you say, I'm sure someone here will have trodden the path before.... Having a quick look it appears that my biggest problem which was a Swiss 721 font, is available at low cost / free nowadays as a True Type Font, so I suppose that can be integrated more easily into the MAC than the Type 1 PS fonts... Hopefully!... Off to buy the MAC today hopefully!

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 19 Mar 2012, 23:18

Hi Guys, thanks for all the input... I know this is not really the place to ask, but I've decided against using bootcamp because I feel it's going to be easier to just convert fully to Mac and buy the new software but with Adobe charging me 1500 for photoshop, illustrator etc, I'm upset!... I also need to do a large amount of database work for some websites that I've designed and I'm currently using Microsoft Access to do this.. Does anyone know if there what I could use on the MAC instead? I've read about MS Office for MAC but it's another 200 or so, so I'm trying to save some bucks now!

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 20 Mar 2012, 00:56

Maybe OpenOffice.org for Mac? It is a open source software.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 20 Mar 2012, 01:43

formerly Tony P wrote:The Extensis guide (linked to above by rcantin - interesting, thank you) says, on p17, that Windows-format Type 1 fonts are *not* supported by Mac OSX (or by font-management apps - can that be right? - but that some Adobe apps can make use of them if they are placed in a specific Adobe app font folder).
I've never attempted (nor needed) to use a Windows PS font on a Mac and just assumed it wouldn't work. But I'm now confused - which of these analyses is correct?
Hi Tony, I'm glad the link pleased you. I'm stump by the p.17 statement. On OS9 when a customer send me PC files I was forced to work on a PC to get the job done. Since OSX I work eclusively on Mac. It happens oocasionaly that I have to load PC font (dont remember the last time I did. I would have to retreive to test it again) but it worked...Anyway Open Type fonts will replace Type 1 for good.

Glenn McDowall

Post by Glenn McDowall » 20 Mar 2012, 03:08

Check out Erik's link to Kurt Lang's web page, near the bottom of section 15, he describes how to use Windows Type1 with Adobe apps on a mac.

formerly Tony P

Post by formerly Tony P » 20 Mar 2012, 03:55

It does... but it implies that they wouldn't work with anything other than Adobe applications.
rcantin -- Were you using them in Quark? Can you recall where did they have to be loaded - in a remote folder and activated by a font manager or in one of the system's folders?

MarkyBoy

Post by MarkyBoy » 20 Mar 2012, 04:22

Yeah, it does seem to imply that you can only use Windows Type 1 PS in an Adobe application! Anyone tried it with Quark?

Return to “Sofa Threads”