I did not find defragmenter in Mac. Why?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
stevenros

Post by stevenros » 13 Dec 2011, 21:22

One of my friends has Mac Lion with him and I have my windows 7. When he asked me for solution to his slow Mac, I suggested to defrag his Mac (As I usually do with my Windows. But, there was no option like that.
Why Apple doesn't have an inbuilt defrag application?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 14 Dec 2011, 02:10

Because OSX defrags on the fly. That is, it's done automatically.
Find a copy of Onyx or Cocktail. Use it to run the Daily, Weekly and Monthly scripts. These often do not run when a Mac is not left on. You can also use those tools to do other maintenance. Main Menu is also a good tool.
Also, use Disk Utility to repair permissions. That app is in the Applications>Utilities folder. Finally, boot from the installer disk and go to the Utilities menu to run Disk Utility and run Repair Disk.
If Disk Utility finds something it cannot fix you may want to buy a copy of DiskWarrior.

stevenros

Post by stevenros » 14 Dec 2011, 18:44

Will verifying disks and repairing permission issues, defrag Mac files?
What is your opinion?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 14 Dec 2011, 20:18

stevenros wrote:
Will verifying disks and repairing permission issues, defrag Mac files?
What is your opinion?

No. If you really want to defrag you may want to look into iDefrag which is an app you have to pay for. But otherwise, defragging is not something anyone on a Mac has to worry about. Again, OSX does this while the machine is operating. Apple provides no method in OSX for a user to defrag.
Verifying the disk will reveal problems (if any) which you can then repair if Disk Utility can do that. If it can't, you have bigger problems and it's time for Diskwarrior. Repairing permissions fixes permission problems on files.
Using Onyx or another maintenance app, use the cleaning tools, run the daily, weekly and monthly scripts. This is normal OSX system maintenance. It will speed up the system.
If you need to resort to Diskwarrior you may wish to know how DW operates. DW works by locating the file directory, creating a new one and replacing the current directory with the new directory. It also does various background tasks like fixing A/B trees and so on.
No offense, but you cannot apply common Windows/PC disk maintenance procedures to OSX. OSX is at it's core, a proprietary version of Linux running on a HFS or HFS+ formatted (often journaled) disk. HFS and HFS+ are Apple's own disk systems. It's not NTFS or even FAT32 so the same things you do for Windows just do not apply here.

stevenros

Post by stevenros » 15 Dec 2011, 19:51

Thanks for help. I am going to try some Mac defrag tools and check if they can speedup Mac or not.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 15 Dec 2011, 22:00

Hi Steven,
like with modern Windows file systems, defragmentation doesn't really occur on OS X's file system unless your hard disk is really full. Have a look what Apple says about it: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375
If you see speed issues with QuarkXPress, it is more likely a lot of active fonts (1000+), accessing data over the network, XTensions or the typical OS X culprits you could heal with Onyx & Co.
Regards
Matthias

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 16 Dec 2011, 02:00

stevenros wrote:
Thanks for help. I am going to try some Mac defrag tools and check if they can speedup Mac or not.

Good luck with the tilting at windmills!

Return to “Sofa Threads”