I Quit

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
User avatar
shaun
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Jan 2006, 13:12

I Quit

Post by shaun » 10 Apr 2011, 21:15

If Harrison F has so much more work now, where does he find the time to post messages here?

User avatar
eyoungren
Posts: 3273
Joined: 27 May 2004, 16:08
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Contact:

I Quit

Post by eyoungren » 11 Apr 2011, 02:36

shaun wrote:
If Harrison F has so much more work now, where does he find the time to post messages here?

Well said. I know people who went to ID who used to be here on the forums. They aren't spending time here anymore.

rv-
Posts: 98
Joined: 16 Dec 2010, 01:32

I Quit

Post by rv- » 11 Apr 2011, 04:17

eyoungren wrote:
shaun wrote:
If Harrison F has so much more work now, where does he find the time to post messages here?

Well said. I know people who went to ID who used to be here on the forums. They aren't spending time here anymore.
I'm also on InDesign for some works ;-) but my heart belongs to Quark. And I'm too old to to post on ID forums.

doktor
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 12:06

I Quit

Post by doktor » 12 Apr 2011, 08:57

My heart do not belongs to Quark or Adobe. Software is just a tool to do my work. And I'm too old to be sentimental. If my tool is not is not suitable for my job is not a good tool. I'm working in print. Long time ago in old versions of Quark there were additional (external) module for hyphenation and typography in Polish language. To use it You have to buy it. Well, that was the money issue. With transition from version 4 to 5 this module starts to be unofficial and hyphenation was inside Quark.To make the long story short the old one was working good and the new one (in 7.5) is not correct. In addition the mechanism of hyphenation is now based on inserting invisible spaces inside words. It means that is unpossible to use the text from PDF generated by Quark, because you get in copied text with spaces everywhere. I even speak with guys from the company that have written the previous plug in. There is no way to correct hyphenation in quark

shaharaperil
Posts: 54
Joined: 01 Jan 2011, 22:27

I Quit

Post by shaharaperil » 15 Apr 2011, 10:32

Harrison Fjord wrote:There is a reason why thousands of designers stopped using Quark and went to Adobe.
Yes. And that reason is because they were broke and thought they were getting InDesign for free with their Photoshop.
Harrison Fjord wrote:Since software is just tools we use to make our livings, there's a point where you gotta look around. Without a doubt, the best move of my life was to jump to Indesign after Quark would not cross-grade my license when I mistakenly bought another seat license and clicked PC version instead of Mac. Quark wouldn't help and stuck me with it (no returns allowed) and it was the best day of my life. Our of frustration I bought Indesign, spent 1 week, and have since probably 10X my capacity to earn more and provide better designs to my clients. HUGE THANKS TO QUARK for sending me the middle finger. Go for it, jump ship and be prepared to get excitied about design again. I can offer you one tip too, that will quadruple your income, go to Itunes and search for "The Indesigner" video podcasts (they're free) and be prepared to be blown away.
I have InDesign and just don't much care for it. Just like Quark, InDesign is not for everybody. I don't really see why people switch to InDesign and then become just as passionate about "converting" other Quark users as an atheist trying to get someone to stop believing in God. Why is it so hard for them to accept that some people are perfectly happy using Quark? We're not waiting to be converted or enlightened. We just like it because we do. Just the same way some people prefer working on a Mac to a PC. It's a shame that Quark did not work for some of you and that you had a bad customer service experience. But the program works great for me and I haven't had any issues with their customer service. If you're all so happy using InDesign, then great. That's wonderful for you. But is it really necessary for InDesign users to continually try to burst other people's bubble? You may be even more happier than you claim to be now if you can just accept the fact that some people like Quark and their reasons for it are just as justified as your reasons for liking InDesign.

doktor
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 12:06

I Quit

Post by doktor » 17 Apr 2011, 03:13

I do not want to convert anybody. First, I don't even mention mention word "InDesign" in my posts, second, I am Quark, not InDesign user. Not yet.

User avatar
eyoungren
Posts: 3273
Joined: 27 May 2004, 16:08
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Contact:

I Quit

Post by eyoungren » 17 Apr 2011, 06:19

doktor wrote:

I do not want to convert anybody. First, I don't even mention mention word "InDesign" in my posts, second, I am Quark, not InDesign user. Not yet.

doktor, did you see the quotes in shaharaperil's reply? He was responding to some posts from Harrison Fjord, not your posts.

William Bragg
Posts: 40
Joined: 14 Aug 2006, 13:02

I Quit

Post by William Bragg » 07 Jun 2011, 09:17

I agree. The main reason I see people switching to InDesign is that it's bundled with Photoshop.I received a free copy of InDesign 2 with my purchase of a new Mac, years ago. I recently upgraded to 5.5, but unless a client requests an InDesign layout, I still prefer using XPress.

dannykos
Posts: 13
Joined: 07 Nov 2008, 19:48

I Quit

Post by dannykos » 09 Aug 2011, 02:07

I still challenge any battle-hardened ID user to produce a layout as quickly as me in Quark. Quark is just faster.

almaink
Posts: 237
Joined: 02 Jun 2004, 08:38

I Quit

Post by almaink » 09 Aug 2011, 03:14

Faster? How? Indy has the 9 point position finder something Xpress never had and I'm guessing never will. Unless you like to live with the calculator on your desktop and do math all day I can't see how anyone could design anything that requires exact positioning faster using Xpress. Another thing about Xpress is exporting to PDF. With InDesign I get consistent results version to version, with Xpress it's always a crap shoot as to how the PDF will come out.Without support for imported transparent objects Xpress is also lagging. You use what you want to do your design work, but I know from years of experience that an Xpress job means extra time when it comes to making plates for the press.

Post Reply

Return to “Sofa Threads”