Top Ten List of Customer/Ad Rep Annoyances

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
Suzanne V

Post by Suzanne V » 11 Oct 2007, 20:23

[strong]NESprepress:[/strong] [strong]circulars:[/strong]My personal favorite client request regarding a photo they sent: "Can you make the horses running towards us, instead of away from us?"

Is that because they see too much similarity???

This thread cracks me up! Love it.
RE: Yes, to make the horses run TOWARD you, simply flip the picture over. Duh.

(I can think of a few reps who'd actually see that as an option...)

Great thread... to vent...

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 12 Oct 2007, 17:33

Recent ad rep instructions for a small ad for an appliance store:

"Add clip art of dancing appliances or something cutsey like that.

Gee, I didn't realize I was back in 3rd grade!

Larry Kollar

Post by Larry Kollar » 27 Nov 2007, 15:25

Hey all. I'm not in publishing just a tech writer in the telecomm industry but I think you guys could relate to some of these:

Several people from different departments have emailed me a PDF file, asking "can you get the Word file back out of this?" I eventually convince tech support to get Acrobat Pro so they could export an RTF and go from there.

We've never had an in-house publishing department in the early days, that was handled by the parent company. After we got spun out, we ended up outsourcing the few printed materials we have to the company that manufactures our stuff for us (we never had our own manufacturing either). Proofs invariably came back the wrong size, sometimes not even proportioned properly. Fortunately, a request to cost-reduce the quick-install guides may have also fixed that particular problem.

The same (ahem) publisher, after I tried giving them source files: "What is a QXP file?" Then I sent them a PDF, and: "We not handle PDF, can you send Illustrator format?" Fortunately, they could work with EPS. I was tempted to give them the PDF file renamed with a .ai extension, but if it didn't work we would have missed the deadline. At least they didn't ask for Word; that horror is reserved for salesdroids after they requested source copies of documentation for customers and I gave them a zipload of FrameMaker.

I've learned it's much easier to do my own photography than depend on someone else to do it. They get it right, but it takes a looong time to get back digital copies. It took me a while to get it right myself, but I learned a lot more about photography (and Photoshop) than I would have otherwise. 8) The "real" photographer is actually happy when I present him with a set of thumbnails showing what angles of what products I want; he can get through that part of the shoot much quicker.

Quark announces a new update, one that fixes a problem I'm having hooray! I click feverishly to download the file, only to be presented with "this webpage is blocked" love note from IT. IT gets around to unblocking the page about two weeks after I downloaded the update from home & brought it into work on my cellphone's microSD card. BTW, transferring a 300MB file over Bluetooth takes a looooong time

When I first started doing end-user documentation, the hardware people quickly pointed out that I couldn't give them completed documentation at RTM, because of lead times. Over the last few years, they have continued to pull the deadline farther back into the development cycle, shrieking like the entire industry is going to collapse if I can't get the docs done by the new surprise milestone. Of course, they CC my boss like I'm the one causing the problem.

Another hardware guy emails me: "What needs to be done to translate to Portuguese?" Having received dozens of requests like that, I tend to shrug them off unless there's a "we need it for X" attached. Two weeks later, I get another email "are the translations done yet? We need them by Tuesday for certification!" Um yeah. So the boxes are sitting in Brazil waiting for the translators to finish up. More CC's to my boss.

It doesn't happen nowadays, but it used to be that the LAN would become a not-work, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. (This was why I flagrantly violated company policy, which insisted we work directly from the server instead of copying projects to the local hard drive.) After a couple of those, I scarfed an abandoned Mac, built a server, and put it on the local segment where the other writers could also access it. IT wasn't happy about it, to the point where they made the LAN more reliable. (This happened at *two* separate companies.) I hung onto the server though, so I could use it as a test bed, until it died of old age.

Thanks for listening

typesetter

Post by typesetter » 27 Nov 2007, 21:53

You are welcome, Larry. That was a good rant. Of course, these days, I'm so incredibly cynical about all aspects of "desktop publishing" - I was here before it began, I'll be here after it's gone - that I find myself surfing various forums mainly for little gems of ancient lore such as yours.

Keeps me off the streets...

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 14 Dec 2007, 12:07

I like the term salesdroid! Sounds like an Ad Manager I know. :D

Sunburst369

Post by Sunburst369 » 18 Dec 2007, 08:00

page 5 does not exist? :roll:

carla_k

Post by carla_k » 29 Apr 2008, 18:06

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif"> [strong]Sunburst369:[/strong]page 5 does not exist? :roll:
just trying to find page 5 and its neighbor, "Next[/img]
edit: hmm, ok, i was able to post, but still no page 5.

back to the topic:
have you ever requested a vector image and received a jpg placed in illustrator? yeah, that helps a LOT.

i was about to design some ads for a national retail chain, so i requested --- from the vp of marketing --- the company's branding guidelines. her email response (which i enlarged a gazillion percent and displayed by my desk) simply said "I don't know what you mean by branding guidelines." she still didn't get it when i asked for specific corporate pms colors and fonts, logo usage and placement, etc.
:shock:

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 29 Apr 2008, 18:28

[strong]carla_k:[/strong]have you ever requested a vector image and received a jpg placed in illustrator? yeah, that helps a LOT.

I hate it when we tell a customer to send a PDF of their ad and their solution is to save a PDF of the JPG they were going to send before we asked for a PDF.

BTW, as to "Page 5" I think the database is confused. Before this thread rolled in to Page 4 the same thing was happening.

thing

Post by thing » 30 Apr 2008, 03:34

Whilst not created by customers I've discovered something that's really bugging me now - the lack of time account handlers allow for proofing! They seem to think a PDF sent by the printer is an acceptable proof ... it's not! Yesterday I received a low res PDF as a so-called proof - in fact it was a low res version of the high res PDF I'd sent to the printer! They hadn't even renamed it.

Needless to say I didn't sign it off.

Bring back proper proofs ... and not nasty digitals off poorly maintained machines!

Emma

Post by Emma » 30 Apr 2008, 03:56

I wonder if this will tip over and create a new page 5???

So, my rant is slightly different, but still about customers.

We produce a twice yearly, 400+ page product guide. All the prices are linked to the product code via XCatalog so that the prices can be updated at the last minute. All we ask from the customer is for an Excel file with 3 columns - product code, price, price for quantity discount.

Sounds simple? Aaaagh. They send these enormous files, full of redundant columns, hidden stuff. Loads of irrelevant (to me) calculations that take hours to open (well, minutes...) Headings like: 'Average Realised Selling Price for Cat Qty'. Some prices they just type in 'leave as last year' or 'no change'.

When I finally strip out what I need from all this junk, I find half the products aren't there, there are a load for products which have been discontinued....

And... this file has been promised for weeks.

Another customer seems to be quite incapable of supplying prices in any coherent way, and asked that we key them all in and supply them back to them!

Sorry, that's probably not a relevant rant to most of you... But I feel better for it.

Return to “Sofa Threads”