Quark 10 importing a CMYK PDF as RGB

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
cathp

Post by cathp » 02 Jun 2014, 06:49

Can anyone help me - I have imported a CMYK pdf I made in illustrator in to my project in quark 10 and the usage says its colour space is RGB.How can this happen?If I import the same pdf into quark 7.5 it says it is CMYK.If I save the file as an eps and import it is CMYK but as soon as I save as pdf Quark says it's RGB.What is going on????

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 07 Jun 2014, 03:06

Q10 is reporting the AI or PDFs as RGB, but they are CMYK if indeed they are. As a test, if you have Acrobat, you can change the color output to As Is, export to PDF and check...CMYK AI and PDF files are passed on as CMYK. It's a glitch in present releases of Q10 that I suspect will be fixed in an update. Mike

lpisanec

Post by lpisanec » 07 Jun 2014, 22:24

A PDF may contain many different color spaces at once, and as such a PDF does not have a "single color space" that Quark could display.
Consider a PDF with RGB images, CMYK vector art and several spot colors whose alternate color space is Lab. In addition, there are a lot of transparent objects and the transparency blending color space is set to RGB.
What color space should Quark display for that PDF?

The same is true for EPS files as well.
So I'd say that Quark should not display a color space at all for placed files that can contain more than 1 color space.

cathp

Post by cathp » 08 Jun 2014, 00:13

The PDF I am importing only has one colour space, i created the pdf in illustrator I know exactly what files it uses and the are all cmyk.If I save the same file as an eps it is seen as cmyk but the file size is restrictively large, if I import the same pdf into quark 7.5 it is seen as cmyk!

lpisanec

Post by lpisanec » 08 Jun 2014, 04:29

I do not see the problem.
If you know there is only CMYK in your PDF, that is fine. But you cannot trust the color space that Quark displays for placed files that could contain more than 1 color space. You have to check color space(s) of these outside of Quark (like in Acrobat Pro) anyways, so what good is it if Quark displays "color space: CMYK" if you cannot trust it to be actually true?

In my opinion the "color space: xyz" is only meant for pixel-images, where you are guaranteed to only encounter 1 color space per file. It should not display for other files at all, as it only confuses when it displays wrong or unexpected information. Or beef it up and display all color spaces that are used in a file.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”