Adobe goes subscription only. What do you think about that?

Kick back on the couch and discuss all things not directly related to QuarkXPress.
lewaw

Post by lewaw » 09 May 2013, 21:41

Is it future future for software vendors/program authors? If rather not?

remote

Post by remote » 10 May 2013, 00:53

I think it is n extremely bad move for Adobe's customers, as it marks a significant shift in power towards the vendor.
Up until now, the company had to push for good, solid updates that convince customers to buy a new version (not taking into account the planned obsolecence powered by OS updates and very short support lifecycles... compare the usual quark/adobe 2'ish years to 7-10 years of say Enterprise Linux).
With the "subscription" model, customers are basically forced to update all the time and everytime, with complete disregard to any added value, features or product maintenance. Also, once everyone is caught up in Adobe's Creative Cell, they can do as they please - e.g. "adjust" pricing. As a creative pro, your only choice is to swallow the pill or have Adobe essentially shut down your business, as you'd be no longer able to access _your_ work.
I don't buy into the whole "do no evil" mantra.
Adobe is a profit oriented corporation and the time will come where they (ab)use their absolute power over the customer.
I cannot help but feel Adobe is making a similar mistake as did Quark with ruining their customer relationship.A lot of people that I talk to are unhappy with Adobes recent move, but still scarred for life by experiences they made with Quark in the 3.x-5.x days.
At our little office, we had just recently made the move from Quark 8.5 to ID and while I am still not too happy about Quarks priorities and the amount of subpar stuff produced recently, chances are looking good that XPress will now regain its former position in our office.
This may be a chance for Quark to show people in the industry that they have changed and care about customers.
There is a lot of broken confidence to rebuild and the timing could not be better now.

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 10 May 2013, 08:48

Indeed. Opportunity there is.

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 10 May 2013, 18:29

A lot of people are talking alternatives to Adobe Creative Suite, sadly Quark hasn't been mentioned so far as an alternative to Indesign If Quark gets version 10 up to speed and plays their cards right they may entice a few Adobe users back to the fold.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 11 May 2013, 17:34

remote wrote:
I think it is n extremely bad move for Adobe's customers, as it marks a significant shift in power towards the vendor.
Up until now, the company had to push for good, solid updates that convince customers to buy a new version (not taking into account the planned obsolecence powered by OS updates and very short support lifecycles... compare the usual quark/adobe 2'ish years to 7-10 years of say Enterprise Linux).
With the "subscription" model, customers are basically forced to update all the time and everytime, with complete disregard to any added value, features or product maintenance. Also, once everyone is caught up in Adobe's Creative Cell, they can do as they please - e.g. "adjust" pricing. As a creative pro, your only choice is to swallow the pill or have Adobe essentially shut down your business, as you'd be no longer able to access _your_ work.
I don't buy into the whole "do no evil" mantra.
Adobe is a profit oriented corporation and the time will come where they (ab)use their absolute power over the customer.
I cannot help but feel Adobe is making a similar mistake as did Quark with ruining their customer relationship.A lot of people that I talk to are unhappy with Adobes recent move, but still scarred for life by experiences they made with Quark in the 3.x-5.x days.
At our little office, we had just recently made the move from Quark 8.5 to ID and while I am still not too happy about Quarks priorities and the amount of subpar stuff produced recently, chances are looking good that XPress will now regain its former position in our office.
This may be a chance for Quark to show people in the industry that they have changed and care about customers.
There is a lot of broken confidence to rebuild and the timing could not be better now.

Adobe has any number of BS reasons for this, but I think it boils down to two reasons really.
1. Adobe is tapped out on updates. Just like anything else, there's a point where you reach feature saturation. Just how many more "wow" features can you create for an aging product. And just how many of those "wow" features are existing customers likely to use?
Adobe is trying to curb expectations and profit off minimal updates because that's about all they have left IMO.
2. Piracy. It's ridiculously easy to download an installer, provide a serial number and block an Adobe product from calling home. Put it in the Cloud and Adobe get's more control. Although, I believe that now they'll probably be dealing with pirated accounts.
My take away from this anyway.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 23 May 2013, 19:54

Good morning,
in case you are interested in an official statement about our position to this topic, we just posted it on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/officialQuarkX ... 2639805367
Regards
Matthias

lewaw

Post by lewaw » 23 May 2013, 21:40

Thanks for official statement.
Today, the situation among software companies look like this:
QuarkXPress - license perpetuity, and upgrade for 3-8 versions

Adobe - goes only in Clouds - subscription
Corel - is flexible - subscription, and box and upgrade only 2 versions back.
3 big players and 3 different solutions.

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 24 May 2013, 00:41

Hi lewaw,
you forgot one important option for QuarkXPress: Quark Maintenance.http://www.quark.com/en/Buy/QuarkXPress ... nance.aspxIt allows you to pay for one or two years and gives you all upgrades for free. Kind of a subscription with the right to keep the license after the subscription expired.
More important though, which of the three options do you prefer?
Thanks
Matthias

lewaw

Post by lewaw » 24 May 2013, 04:39

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:
More important though, which of the three options do you prefer?

It is question for users, or future users... but I read on various internet forums, and Adobe Clouds they call Dark Clouds.
Many designers, and graphic programs users praise solution - 2 options a) perpetual license, and b) alternative subscription. Available together as a choice.
People appreciate the flexibility, and choice. (The different needs.)
User who wants only occasionally use the program or want to always have the latest version goes in subscription. Other user, choose the old sale rules.
Regards
ps
But my needs are different today, I still waiting for support for footnotes. ;-)

omegaman

Post by omegaman » 24 May 2013, 11:54

Matthias Guenther (Quark) wrote:Good morning,
in case you are interested in an official statement about our position to this topic, we just posted it on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/officialQuarkX ... 2639805367
Regards
Matthias
Thumbs up!

Return to “Sofa Threads”