Editing spellcheck dictionaries in TextEdit corrupts them

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Witcher

Post by Witcher » 02 Jan 2009, 04:22

Huh?I thought I was able to edit/add words to QXP dictionaries in TextEdit...but when I do, QXP (6.5) thinks they're damaged.Anyone else have this problem?Or an alternative application to TextEdit that won't "damage" dictionary files?

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 02 Jan 2009, 08:23

As I understand it you can only add words to Auxiliary Dictionaries, and then only through XPress - not any other app. The base dictionary is uneditable as I recall.....

elpy zee

Post by elpy zee » 02 Jan 2009, 10:28

It may be that Textwrangler is somehow setting Unix linefeeds instead of Mac carriage returns at the end of lines. I seem to be able to edit auxiliary dictionaries, but if I switch the line ending settings to Unix(LF) at the bottom of the Textwrangler window, then I get an error message when I try to open the dictionary in Quark.

AD

Post by AD » 04 Jan 2009, 03:09

I guess you also have to take care of sorting of words while adding and looks like version 8 can handle LF and CR line endings.

Witcher

Post by Witcher » 05 Jan 2009, 03:00

OK, so if I try to add Aux. dictionaries thru QXP...and I follow the advice from the "Quark Knowledge Center":"To add a list of words to your auxiliary dictionary, hold down Option-Shift (Mac) or Alt-Shift (Windows) and click the Add button."Where exactly do they mean one to do that? In the "Check Spelling" dialog window?

AD

Post by AD » 05 Jan 2009, 17:09

Clicking "Done" button while holding option+shift in check spelling dialog will add all suspect words to auxiliary

Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 30 Jun 2009, 22:34

I want to remove a word from the 'International English' dictionary. My workflow entails translating American English to English (or, International English as Americans want everyone to call it). Due to my client base including some Evangelical Christian outfits, the word 'Honor' comes up regularly and requires changing to 'Honour'.What I do is (in Quark 8) select all text boxes and change the language to International English and then run a spell check. The spell check dialogue box confirms that spell check is running in International English, yet it steadfastly refuses to flag the word 'Honor' as incorrect, yet it finds Color and other U-less abominations.So, my question is: How the hell do I delete this mis-spelled word from Quark's dictionary?

polka

Post by polka » 05 Oct 2009, 01:17

You can use the AutoCorrectXT that allows you to maintain a list of words that you need to auto correct for you. This is similar to how MS Word does it! You also have the auto spelling like feature to underline the misspelled words (corresponding to a language).
You can just try this from http://www.athenasoftsolutions.com/Products.html
Just add your auto correction from Honor to Honour and then click on the utilities menu "Auto Spell Story". Your auto correction will happen automatically and it will not be flagged as misspelled by AutoCorrectXT.
I find this XT very handy instead of using the annoying XPress spell check.
Just check it out for sure!

Easybourne

Post by Easybourne » 05 Oct 2009, 01:57

Thank you for the advertisement.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”