Quark 6.52 on Leopard (10.5.1)

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 10, 9 & 8 (and before) (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

As QuarkXPress 1 thru 10 are not supported by Quark anymore, please upgrade to a newer version of QuarkXPress if you are looking for official support. Support options for supported versions are here: http://support.quark.com
Matt Temple

Post by Matt Temple » 14 Jan 2008, 11:59

I installed Leopard on Friday and have had problems saving.

I've read of other people having problems saving an open Quark 6.52 file in OSX 10.5.

I also noticed that the Quark icon in the project window header had a small arrow (as if the file was an alias). So when I hit save I got the "Unexpected end-of-file occurred. [-39]" message, but when doing a Save As and overwriting the file it was fine.

Also when double-clicking the file in a Finder window to re-open it, a copy of the file was being created and opened instead.

I just did an Apple/Command+I (Get Info) on one of the affected files to check it and discovered that the 'Stationery Pad' check box was ticked (above the 'Locked' check box).

I have just unchecked the 'Stationery Pad' option and initial results are that it has solved the problem.

When I close and re-open the file the problem re-occurs, but I have gone back to the Get Info pane and the box has re-checked itself. Uncheck it again and it works again.

Can anyone shed any light on this one, is it a problem that can be permanently fixed?

I'm using a Mac Pro, Quark 6.52 (I have 7.3 too), OSX 10.5.1.

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 14 Jan 2008, 12:40

I can't really shed any light on this. You and a couple of other posters are experiencing the same problem. There was an "official" Quark repsonse to this this morning (i.e, a Quark employee posted here) and it goes something like this (I am paraphrasing)....

"XPress 6.x is not certified to work in Leopard. XPress 7.31 is. Get XPress 7.31."

In other words. "We aren't supporting XPress 6.x with Leoapard. We aren't going to fix anything so upgrade!"

Here is a link to that post if you like (it's at the bottom, right before your first post on the issue).

http://www.quark.com/service/forums/vie ... hp?t=21401

andreww

Post by andreww » 29 Jan 2008, 09:12

Typical Quark attitude, buy another version! I've got 20 machines here happily running 6.52. I really have no need for any of the new features in Q7, and as several of my aftermarket extensions are not available for Q7, upgrading is not an option. I must have 100 applications on my mac and the only "problem" is Quark (what else is new).

eyoungren

Post by eyoungren » 29 Jan 2008, 09:52

To be fair in this though you have to consider that XPress 6.x was designed and released when Jaguar was the dominant OS. Quark can't predict what Apple will build in to future OS's and then pre-design the software to account for it.

Frankly, I'm amazed that even with workarounds it still works in Leopard (not well, but it works).

So. What is the volume level of complaint going to be when Apple finally says "Hey, no more PowerPC OS releases!"? And, "We are not supporting pre-Intel software anymore!"?

I understand your argument and I don't necessarily disagree with it, but it's the same argument that users on version 4 were giving when version 6 came out.

rcantin

Post by rcantin » 29 Jan 2008, 10:44

[img]../../themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif">%20[strong]andreww:[/strong]I%20must%20have%20100%20applications%20on%20my%20mac%20and%20the%20only%20"problem[/img]
I'm pretty sure, since it was already reported here, that you'll experiment other issues with CS2 from Adobe.

thing

Post by thing » 29 Jan 2008, 14:22

CS2 is a total disaster in Leopard or even on an Intel Mac running 10.4.11

Each and every CS2 app, even the wonderfully stable (normally) Photoshop, crashes randomly for no reason and for a non-repeatable cause.

All are horribly slow to load and run too.

Adobe's line - upgrade. At least some help is coming out of Quark to try to help people using v6 in an OS that is much newer.

Greg

YSR50

Post by YSR50 » 20 Feb 2008, 22:01

[strong]thing:[/strong]CS2 is a total disaster in Leopard or even on an Intel Mac running 10.4.11

Each and every CS2 app, even the wonderfully stable (normally) Photoshop, crashes randomly for no reason and for a non-repeatable cause.

All are horribly slow to load and run too.

Adobe's line - upgrade. At least some help is coming out of Quark to try to help people using v6 in an OS that is much newer.

Greg

[strong]clanning:[/strong]Just a quick note, QuarkXPress 6.52 will exhibit inconsistent behavior when running under Leopard. This can range from certain menu options being grayed out to the save behavior described above. QuarkXPress 7.31 has been certified to run under Leopard, so this is the better way to go.

Regards,
Craig Lanning
Quark USA

Am I missing something? Sounds like Quark is just saying upgrade. I must have missed the post where they are offering help, can you please post a link?

I've read a few of your posts telling people they shouldn't complain about an outdated app in a new OS (Q6-10.5) yet I've also read your posts talking about CS2 in Leopard. I'm not seeing the difference. To be honest we have very little problems with Adobe software, even CS2 in Leopard. I will admit though, with every revision Adobe's apps are becoming more and more bloated and Quark like.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8, 9 & 10: General”