Centering web pages in 9.5.4

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Ian Ridpath

Post by Ian Ridpath » 18 Dec 2013, 00:14

Pleased to see that the Quark 9.5.4 upgrade runs on Mavericks.However, I have a question regarding centering of web pages. There was a little trick of using two narrow text boxes either side of the layout which did this, as described in KBA-01461-2V3161. Alas it stopped working with the initial upgrade to Quark 9.5 and I had to return to 9.3. Does anybody know if it works again in 9.5.4?

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 01 Jan 2014, 14:18

That hack was never a good way to center web pages. Much better to edit the HTML and use the CSS class.
In the HTML or the separate CSS file, you will find a class for the page. It will look similar to the below:
.page {
position: relative
}

Make it like the below, change the width to your site width:
.page {margin: 0 auto; position: relative; width: 600px}
The margin statement is what actually does the centering but CSS cannot center without knowing the width of the container to center. So you need to add a width: stament of the width your site is using.

Ian Ridpath

Post by Ian Ridpath » 08 Jan 2014, 06:21

Mike, thanks for taking the trouble to respond with a suggestion.Unfortunately, I find no such class instruction as you mention in the HTML. In fact, the word "page" does not appear in the HTML at all, at least not the HTML as written by version 9.3.0. And, frankly, I don't want to have to fiddle with the HTML.I'm deeply dismayed that Quark should abandon the web module. I'm sure I'm not the only person left stranded. I'm going to have to buy and learn some new web design app to rebuild my entire site, but I'm having difficulty finding something suitable. Someone on this forum suggested Goldfish, and I can't even see how to get started with that one.Cheers,Ian

Kymind

Post by Kymind » 08 Jan 2014, 22:45

Take a look at the answer given by the user nitro in this postings :)p/19200/76673.aspx

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”