QuarkXPress 10 and Digital Publishing (HTML4 & SWF)

Discuss the HTML4 features and Web layout provided in QuarkXPress 8 and 9 (and before).

If you are interested in HTML5 publishing, then please visit the section about Digital Publishing and look at HTML5-based apps or HTML5 Publications.
Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

QuarkXPress 10 and Digital Publishing (HTML4 & SWF)

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 01 Aug 2013, 04:32

Hi all,
please note that QuarkXPress 10 will not offer the ability to export Flash anymore.
Though it was innovative and award-winning functionality to allow authoring Flash (SWF) with QuarkXPress 7, 8 and 9 enabling designers to create interactive experiences without having to code the world has moved on. The hay days of Flash are long over, it's all about HTML5 now.

So QuarkXPress 9.5.x is the last version to support Flash (SWF) export and the Interactive layout. QuarkXPress 10 will also not export AVE or Blio anymore.

Same is true for the web layout of QuarkXPress 9, which exports static web sites using table-based HTML4. The world demands for highly interactive, CSS based web pages, often driven from a CMS. And the web layout of QuarkXPress, introduced with version 5 in 2002, just didn't fit into this world.
That said, for the future we have some compelling ideas for Digital Publishing, especially for web publishing, so please stay tuned. And as QuarkXPress 10 already heavily concentrates on HTML5 for Digital Publishing, it will be all around HTML5.
Important note: As QuarkXPress 10 will not open projects that contain an Interactive layout (or web layout), you need to convert these layouts to a Print layout first in QuarkXPress 7, 8 or 9, if you plan to open these projects in QuarkXPress 10.
Regards
Matthias

timj

Re: QuarkXPress 10 and Digital Publishing (HTML4 & SWF)

Post by timj » 16 Oct 2014, 02:24

Hi,

I get the idea why they did this. The qestion stays: Is there any plugin, script, converter, etc...that is able to convert a QuarkXPress 10 - Book to HTML4?

Or: Is it possible to convert a print layout to the "App Design" mode to export a Print design as HTML5?

Thanks for your answer!
Kind regards,
Tim

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 16 Oct 2014, 02:39

Hi Tim,

can you share what you are trying to achieve please? To understand your use case will help us to develop the right features if that makes sense for a page layout application like QuarkXPress. If this is information you don't want to share publicly, please feel free to send me an email.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

shaharaperil

Post by shaharaperil » 22 Oct 2014, 15:03

Even though Quark is moving away from HTML 4 and has dropped the web layouts for version 10, I have to say that I still find it MUCH easier to use Quark 9 to start out basic web pages, than using anything else I've tried. Yes, there are limitations... like with adding code for videos and CSS, but for the sites I've been working on, I find that the speed of creating and changing web content in Quark 9 far outweighs any of the limitations I've come across.

I've tried several versions of Dreamweaver and I have found that building a site from scratch is extremely cumbersome. So I start everything in Quark, get all my ideas the way I want them, and then I use Dreamweaver or Komodo Edit to tweak the HTML pages as necessary. Granted, these are basic sites. I'm not working on anything overly complex with lots of CSS or e-commerce functionality. In cases like that, I would probably start with a content management system and use plug-ins to accomplish a lot of those things. But Quark 9 is able to do 90% of what I need it to do.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to see what Quark can offer with HTML5 in the future. I agree 100% that HTML5 is the way Quark should be moving, even if it means they need to drop HTML4 functionality in the process. I will be all over the HTML5 features when they come. But until then, I will definitely keep a copy of Quark 9 on my computer to use for the initial stages of any web projects. It saves me so much time and so many headaches. If I had to start all the web projects I've done so far in Dreamweaver, I probably would have been hospitalized with high blood pressure. :lol:

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: Web authoring (HTML4) - discontinued”