Blank Word 2007 Help pane

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
Sundog

Post by Sundog » 09 Nov 2010, 05:44

Office Version:Office 2007; Operating System:Windows XP
I have an installation of Word 2007 with the Quark XML Author plug-in recently added. When I try to access Word Help by clicking the tiny ? in a circle at the right hand end of the menu bar, the Word Help pane opens, but it is blank. Normally it opens populated with help topics. Also, my cursor changes to an hourglass, and it remains that way until I exit Word. If I type anything in the Word Help pane, I get the same result. At another machine with Word 2007 + Quark XML Author, the Word Help pane performs normally.

F1 gives the same unsatisfactory result.

My tech tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Quark XML Author plug-in, to see if that fixes the problem. It did not.
I didn't try Word Help prior to the plug-in installation, so I don't know if the plug-in caused the problem.

Ran Office Diagnostics on the affected machine:

[ulist][*]No problems with computer memory. [*]No conflicting MS Office versions. [*]No hard disk trouble. [*]Setup Diagnostic reports finding one problem and fixing it, after taking a very long time diagnosing Package 2. However, the problem with the Word Help pane still exists.[/ulist]Ran Change or Remove Programs > Change > Repair on MS Office Enterprise 2007; completed successfully; rebooted; Word 2007 still exhibits bad Help pane behavior. Closed all applications, opened Task Manager, which indicates that Quark.XA.Startup.exe frequently uses the most CPU resources. I am unable to be quick enough to stop that process, but it appears to be the culprit. All suggestions welcome.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 09 Nov 2010, 06:25

First, make a right click on My Computer (I suppose you are on Windows) and choose Manage. In the Computer Managemen go to Event Viewer, then to Application. In this two lists, scroll down and look for error or warning signs (in red or yellow). If there are so signs, make double click on each row. In a new window it will be explained what kind of error or warning was generated.
Maybe this can help.

richi.v

Post by richi.v » 21 Dec 2012, 03:54

Hi I also I have installed Word 2007 and would like to know where is the Quark XML Author plug-inif you already comes with Microsoft Word 2007 or is purchased separately. thanksRicardoCiudad de Buenos AiresArgentinaTraducido por Google traductor

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 22 Dec 2012, 02:19

As far as I know, Quark XML Author must be purchased separately.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”