Quark digitization issue!

Discuss XML import/export in QuarkXPress 8 & 9 (and before).

If you are interested in newer XML publishing formats that Quark offers, then please contact us about Modifier XML (QuarkXPress Documents as XML) in QuarkXPress Server or about Quark XML Author.
sandu_aurel

Post by sandu_aurel » 02 Oct 2011, 08:56

Hello,I'm working for a company that handles books digitization.Generally, we are generating xml files (containing block coordinates, OCR text, hierarchical structure of the document and many other information) and image files.Now, a client is requesting to generate QuarkXPress 7 compatible files.My question is if QuarkXPress has any XTension which can help us to generate compatible files from any open-standard format files. (XML or any other file format which we can generate or can learn to generate and which can be imported into Quark).For example, is there any way to generate an XML file which imported in Quark to include the layout and also the content of the qaurk file?All the best, Aurel

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 02 Oct 2011, 10:52

Hello Aurel

XPress can import XML file, but as far as I know, this cannot be done in batch mode. XPress does not work as a word processor, for importing XML files (usually generated from databases) it needs some "placeholders" to be placed in the layout. These are used for mail merge.
You can find some documentation here.
You might also send me a message, maybe I can help more.
Regards

AndyDyer

Post by AndyDyer » 04 Oct 2011, 06:32

Hi Aurel,
The component which Quark uses as part of the Dynamic Publishing Solution for creating QuarkXPress project files from XML is QuarkXPress Server. QuarkXPress Server supports a page description language markup called "modifier" XML, which is a literal description of the document format: to use this, you must first convert the source XML into this page description using an XML transformation technology, such as XSLT. Whilst this isn't a straight "import", this method does allow you the freedom to apply formatting to the content as part of the transformation, giving you access to the majority of QuarkXPress formatting controls from within this page description markup. A sample of this page description wouldlook something like this:

Hello world

You can find full documentation of this XMLformat, and how it's used in the QuarkXPress Server Web Integration Guide, which is published here: http://support.quark.com/documentation/Server/9.html
Thanks& regards,
Andy

sandu_aurel

Post by sandu_aurel » 04 Oct 2011, 21:25

Hi Andy,Thanks for your help.I'll check that Integration Guide and I'll come back with questions!All the best,Aurel

sandu_aurel

Post by sandu_aurel » 04 Oct 2011, 21:51

Hi Andy,
We are interested in buying a license for QuarkXPress Server. Can you give me some more details about the needed Quark modules and pricing?
Best regards,
Aurel

AdamGenzink

Post by AdamGenzink » 16 Jan 2012, 21:00

Thanks for the Integration guide, definitely wanna help.

Return to “QuarkXPress 8 & 9: XML Import/Export - discontinued”