different page sizes in one document

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2017 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
kazu

different page sizes in one document

Post by kazu » 18 Jul 2017, 06:59

How could I do a book cover with different Layout sizes?
3 pages which are next to each other: 210 + 6 + 210 mm wide.

So I need two different master page sizes in one document, title and spine. How do I do that?

MikeWenzloff

Re: different page sizes in one document

Post by MikeWenzloff » 18 Jul 2017, 08:32

QXP cannot have different page sizes in a single layout.

Just make your page size the 210 + 6 +210 = 426 mm

You can add vertical guidelines for the spine at 210 mm & 216 mm to demarcate the spine area.

Mike

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 Jul 2017, 09:03

Hi Kazu,

in one document it is possible, yes.
In one layout, it's not.

If you need them to be in one layout, follow Mike's tips please.
If one document is fine, then create two different layouts, add them both to one book and export the book (as PDF).

It's on the wishlist and will be added in future releases.

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

kazu

Post by kazu » 18 Jul 2017, 10:45

MikeWenzloff wrote:QXP cannot have different page sizes in a single layout.

You can add vertical guidelines for the spine at 210 mm & 216 mm to demarcate the spine area.

Mike
What about the crop marks, when I do it this way?
We have 2017, I'm a little surprised that it's not possible.

max.peter

Post by max.peter » 18 Jul 2017, 11:20

Hello Kazu,

The front cover, the back cover and the spine are all printed together, in the same time and on the same plates/sheet of paper. You need cropmarks for the whole cover only. The guide lines for the spine are usually put during imposition.
Every day is a good day to learn something new.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 18 Jul 2017, 11:51

kazu wrote:
MikeWenzloff wrote:QXP cannot have different page sizes in a single layout.

Mike
As mentioned, it's really just a single page as regards printing. It's the combined dimensions that count.

When I get a cover file from an application that uses multiple pages or artboards as a single page, all the user-defined marks are ripped out in my imposition software anyway. I have no real idea that it was made from 3 pages/artboards in the pdf unless I open it in Acrobat and see the spine's crop marks. Those spine crop marks are the only indication it was made that way.

Mike

kazu

Post by kazu » 19 Jul 2017, 02:36

I am a graphic designer, set layouts for offset printing. If I have 3 pages in my project, I will export them as PDF with Spreads and printer marks, that the printer knows what he has to do, where the folds lie.

I have some projects which are reissued monthly, with different spine, because the content is often different. It would be more easy for me to change the width of the middle page, the present way is more work. Well, then just a little more complicated ... but maybe something for the to-do list?

PetarMakedonecot

Post by PetarMakedonecot » 13 Aug 2017, 15:25

For the spine you can divide the page on 2 columns and set the gutter width to the width of the spine.
Petar Petrenko
Typesetter - Graphic Designer - Photographer - DTP Trainer
Skopje, Makedonija

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Aug 2017, 17:49

kazu wrote:I am a graphic designer, set layouts for offset printing. If I have 3 pages in my project, I will export them as PDF with Spreads and printer marks, that the printer knows what he has to do, where the folds lie.

I have some projects which are reissued monthly, with different spine, because the content is often different. It would be more easy for me to change the width of the middle page, the present way is more work. Well, then just a little more complicated ... but maybe something for the to-do list?
Your situation isn't unique.

It would be slightly quicker to simply edit the spine page for pumping out covers. But only a bit quicker. Even in ID where one can have disparate page sizes and have them stacked beside each other (which Q can do, just not the disparate page sizes), and then output with the trim marks that would otherwise show where the folds go, those trim marks for the spine will be, well, trimmed off before the folding. So they really mean nothing at the print/fold stages. It's all about communication with the print service, which I would do whether I was using ID with distinct page sizes or not.

I use guidelines for my own reference for spines. As Q can use simple math when placing guidelines, it is pretty quick to set the spine precisely in the guide manager. I suspect that using distinct pages would shave but X seconds off versus using guidelines.

All that said, I would second your request for disparate page sizing whether I would use it or not. It is a useful feature for those that use it.

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2017: General”