Fonts in 2018

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2018 (excluding Digital Publishing).
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.

Want to discuss with hundreds of fellow QuarkXPress fans and interact with the QuarkXPress team? Then join our Facebook Group please, where every day dozens of questions are being asked and answered: https://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress/
Jiri Melnicky

Re: Fonts in 2018

Post by Jiri Melnicky » 18 May 2018, 05:06

Hello, I do not use Suitcase. Today I made the same attempt as a week ago: QXP9 > ID CS6 (via Markzware) > IDML > Import QXP2018. Fonts Montserrat, which was previously missing, is fine now. I apologize for this and I'm glad it works! The dialog I opened earlier when importing from IDML is probably called "Missing Fonts". Here the Italic, Bold, BoldItalic option is missing. In the "Replace Fonts" dialog, this choice is of course. I apologize again:)
Eizo SX2461W, Dell XPS 8500 - Intel Core i7-3770, 12 GB RAM, Win 8.1, QXP3.1–QXP2018 (Czech version)

jlake

Post by jlake » 13 Jul 2018, 13:25

Fonts available from the Font Menu in QuarkXPress 2018 documents are not available as a replacement font in the Font Mapping dialog.

In QuarkXPress 2017, we have a Font Rule in Utilities > Font Mapping… defined. We export the font rules to an .XML file. In QuarkXPress 2018, we go to Utilities > Font Mapping… and try to import the Rules XML file, and we get an error that says "The font ITC Bookman Demi Italic defined as a replacement font for the missing font BI Bookman DemiItalic is not available on this computer. Please choose a different replacement font. When we try to choose a replacement font in the pull-down menu, there is no form of Bookman Demi Italic available. But it is available from the measurements palette font field for text in a QuarkXPress 2018 document.

from the XML file:
<Rule><MissingFontName>BI Bookman DemiItalic</MissingFontName><ReplacementFontName>ITC Bookman Demi Italic</ReplacementFontName></Rule>

amckinney

Post by amckinney » 13 Jul 2018, 15:46

I'm having font problems, too. I never used QXP17. I went from XP16 to XP18, so skipped a version (and also, consequently, down-saving is not an option for me).

The problem is with ITC Garamond Bold. In XP16, it works (and is selectable) as it should be. In XP18, I cannot select/use ITC Garamond Bold at all. It is missing from the font family's list, even though the entire font family is installed on my computer. Again, everything works fine if I'm using XP16.

The layout I discovered this problem with looks great in XP16. If I open it in version 18, all occurrences of Garamond Bold look "garbled" in the layout (the text reads as gibberish), and I cannot select the proper font from the font list.

I have Suitcase 6 running fonts on my Mac. I've also made sure that the ITC family was installed into Font Book. I have also DELETED a TrueType version of Garamond--NOT ITC--that only has plain, bold, italic, as I feared it was getting confused for the other one. That has not only been uninstalled from suitcase, but put in the trash and emptied as well.

This is really annoying. I can understand a whole font family going AWOL, but only boldface? I would've just substituted it for Adobe Garamond bold or something else, but nothing else looks the same. So, for now, I'm modifying that document in XP16, so that I can preserve the way it looks.

I really hope Quark can iron out these font mapping issues. I hate InDesign with a passion, and it irks me when something bad happens in XP that can give the competition something to "gloat" about!

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 13 Jul 2018, 18:02

As regards the inability to backsave more than one version, you might want to do the following:

Open QXP 2016. Create a new project. Create a small text frame and fill with placeholder text. Now export this as Tagged Text. Open that up--it's just a plain text file. Look at the first line.

Now start up Q 2018. Open the project you wish to get into Q 2016. Export the file as a tagged text file. Open that text file and look at the first line. There may be a slight difference in the revision number part.

Begin a project the same size as the one in 2018. Import the tagged text file. Depending upon the project, it'll come in correct.

OK. I have ITC Garamond that was licensed to Adobe. There are 24 fonts in the family. They all are available in v.2018.
It sounds like there is a naming issue inside the font that previously was overlooked. Or perhaps it's an OS difference for Q--I'm on Windows.

Mike

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 16 Jul 2018, 00:20

amckinney wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 15:46
I'm having font problems, too. I never used QXP17. I went from XP16 to XP18, so skipped a version (and also, consequently, down-saving is not an option for me).

The problem is with ITC Garamond Bold. In XP16, it works (and is selectable) as it should be. In XP18, I cannot select/use ITC Garamond Bold at all. It is missing from the font family's list, even though the entire font family is installed on my computer. Again, everything works fine if I'm using XP16.

The layout I discovered this problem with looks great in XP16. If I open it in version 18, all occurrences of Garamond Bold look "garbled" in the layout (the text reads as gibberish), and I cannot select the proper font from the font list.

I have Suitcase 6 running fonts on my Mac. I've also made sure that the ITC family was installed into Font Book. I have also DELETED a TrueType version of Garamond--NOT ITC--that only has plain, bold, italic, as I feared it was getting confused for the other one. That has not only been uninstalled from suitcase, but put in the trash and emptied as well.

This is really annoying. I can understand a whole font family going AWOL, but only boldface? I would've just substituted it for Adobe Garamond bold or something else, but nothing else looks the same. So, for now, I'm modifying that document in XP16, so that I can preserve the way it looks.

I really hope Quark can iron out these font mapping issues. I hate InDesign with a passion, and it irks me when something bad happens in XP that can give the competition something to "gloat" about!
Hi amckinney,

Kindly try clearing the system font cache. Also try to run the QuarkCacheClear to clear the Quark's internal font cache. Both QuarkXPress 2016 and Quark 2018 have separate font caches. [Quit all running instances of QuarkXPress. Drag the QuarkXPress 2018 app in the Dock. Invoke the contextual menu for the QuarkXPress 2018 from the Dock. Run QuarkCacheClear] Once you clear the system font cache, remember to restart the system.

If the issue persists even after clear the font cache, kindly share me the project along with the fonts. [You can perform a Collect for Output from QuarkXPress 2016]. Also share the screenshots of the project from QuarkXPress 2016 and QuarkXPress 2018.
You can mail to me at sinair@quark.com
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

Sirish Nair (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Sirish Nair (Quark) » 16 Jul 2018, 00:31

jlake wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 13:25
Fonts available from the Font Menu in QuarkXPress 2018 documents are not available as a replacement font in the Font Mapping dialog.

In QuarkXPress 2017, we have a Font Rule in Utilities > Font Mapping… defined. We export the font rules to an .XML file. In QuarkXPress 2018, we go to Utilities > Font Mapping… and try to import the Rules XML file, and we get an error that says "The font ITC Bookman Demi Italic defined as a replacement font for the missing font BI Bookman DemiItalic is not available on this computer. Please choose a different replacement font. When we try to choose a replacement font in the pull-down menu, there is no form of Bookman Demi Italic available. But it is available from the measurements palette font field for text in a QuarkXPress 2018 document.

from the XML file:
<Rule><MissingFontName>BI Bookman DemiItalic</MissingFontName><ReplacementFontName>ITC Bookman Demi Italic</ReplacementFontName></Rule>
We are aware of the issue. A defect is already reported for the issue.
Sirish Nair
Senior Technical Lead, Quality Assurance
QUARKXPRESS PUBLISHING R&D (INDIA) PVT. LTD.
A-45, Industrial Area, Phase 8-B, Mohali, Punjab, India Pin: 160059
sinair@quark.com | http://www.quark.com

UtahLlama

Post by UtahLlama » 31 Jul 2018, 12:51

Hi Sirish
is it worth detailing how font menu behaviour is changed again with 2018 July update? :?

Return to “QuarkXPress 2018: General”