Word import crashes Quark

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
jgold723

Word import crashes Quark

Post by jgold723 » 13 Jun 2018, 08:58

Once in a while, I will attempt to import a Word document and Quark will crash. It's pretty rare, but still annoying and I'm wondering what it is about a particular document that causes this. Is there any way to find out what's happening?

Matthias Guenther (Quark)
Quarkian
Quarkian

Re: Word import crashes Quark

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 13 Jun 2018, 09:10

Which version of QuarkXPress please and which version of Word?
Can you paste a crash report and supply the DOCX please?

Thanks
Matthias
Feel there should be more chatting, more tips, more user interaction?
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/quarkxpress

jgold723

Post by jgold723 » 17 Jul 2018, 11:54

Hi Matthias:

My apologies for not getting back on this.

I just submitted a crash report.

I'm using Word 15.17 for the Mac and QX2016.

FYI, I did not create the document -- it's from a client and it seems that this particular document from this particular client is the only one that crashes. I can supply you with the document if that would help.

I have tried resaving the doc without luck.

jgold723

Post by jgold723 » 18 Jul 2018, 07:58

And here's a copy of the document that causes the crash
Attachments
Aug Island D 2018.docx
(136.22 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 18 Jul 2018, 08:43

Hi J,

when you uncheck "convert quotes" then it doesn't crash. We are investigating the exact reason.

Thanks
Matthias
Join us on Facebook, a forum-like group with over 2,000 QuarkXPress fans interacting:

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 18 Jul 2018, 09:04

If it is Save As from Word as an RTF and then import, it also doesn't crash, even with the convert quotes active.

If I open that RTF back into Word, use the Compatibility to convert to a DOCX, then save as a docx, it will also import with the convert quotes on.

If I reset the styles in the DOCX as downloaded, it will import with the convert quotes on, but it does still crash Q. The recovery folder on the desktop has both the temp QXP (gotta rename it) and the crash log. If I add the extension to the crashed file in the recovery folder, that QXP file has successfully imported the cleaned DOCX file and there is no longer an issue.

Weird file!

Quarkian
Quarkian

Post by Matthias Guenther (Quark) » 19 Jul 2018, 05:46

We found the culprit:
It's the double-hyphens (--) causing this.

QuarkXPress converts them to an em-dash when you set the preferences to convert quotes.

Why it crashes we still don't know.

Workaround for now (choose one):
- Do not use double hyphens
- Convert double hyphens to em dash before importing
- Do not check the preferences to convert quotes and replace by Find/Change

Thanks
Matthias

jgold723

Post by jgold723 » 19 Jul 2018, 07:44

Hi Matthias:

Thanks for looking into this and I appreciate the suggestions, which I'll try to incorporate.

I am a little mystified though -- we have other writers who use the double hyphens in Word and their files don't cause any problems.

Anyway, we're closer to resolving this.

John

jgold723

Post by jgold723 » 19 Jul 2018, 07:46

MikeWenzloff wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 09:04
If it is Save As from Word as an RTF and then import, it also doesn't crash, even with the convert quotes active.

If I open that RTF back into Word, use the Compatibility to convert to a DOCX, then save as a docx, it will also import with the convert quotes on.

If I reset the styles in the DOCX as downloaded, it will import with the convert quotes on, but it does still crash Q. The recovery folder on the desktop has both the temp QXP (gotta rename it) and the crash log. If I add the extension to the crashed file in the recovery folder, that QXP file has successfully imported the cleaned DOCX file and there is no longer an issue.

Weird file!
Yes, it is indeed an odd file. Seems fine in every other way. Thanks for the troubleshooting.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Jul 2018, 07:50

Isn't that odd?

I cannot get a new or other existing file to fail when double-dashes are present. They come in and the quotes/double dashes get converted just fine. And if I take that text from the problem document into a new document by first pasting it into a text editor, copy and paste into a new Word document, it also imports fine and quotes/double dashes convert.

Looking at the document.xml from the affected file, it's unlike any I took the time to compare it to. In particular, the way the double dash that occurs is, well, way different to the others.

I knew there had to be a reason I prefer to export from Word as tagged text. It is always perfect!

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”