Centered Tabs: Difficulty Establishing Default Layout

Discuss functionality of QuarkXPress 2016 (excluding Digital Publishing)
For Digital Publishing functionality please refer to forums in the "Digital Publishing" group.
RGB

Centered Tabs: Difficulty Establishing Default Layout

Post by RGB » 15 Jun 2018, 17:26

To maximize potential points about which I might center words/phrases in the course of a given document, I created tabs at 0.25" intervals. At first, words that I tabbed didn't seem to be centering at all: they behaved like default, left-aligned tabs of 0.5". Eventually, I realized that the lengths of the words/phrases in question were such that they extended beyond adjacent tab-sites; this seemed to be what was stopping them from behaving as expected. If I delete the adjacent tab-sites, the words/phrases center properly.

The thing is that it's tedious to go through a document line by line deleting tabs, when there doesn't seem to be any reason for tabs to which nothing on the line is aligned to trigger the aforementioned behavior. Surely creating tabs on the ruler simply defines potential points at which tabs might be created, and this should not affect the alignment of actual words on the line.

Moreover, it's never clear to me whether I'm setting/altering tabs for the whole document or just the line/paragraph in question. How can I be sure?

It would be nice if I could alter the default tab from a left-aligned 0.5" tab to something else, such as a 0.25" center-aligned one. That way, I'd never need to set up predefined tabs in the first place.

MikeWenzloff

Re: Centered Tabs: Difficulty Establishing Default Layout

Post by MikeWenzloff » 15 Jun 2018, 18:38

Once you alter a paragraph style's tabs and desire them to be applied to all paragraphs using the same style, you should see that there is a plus (+) symbol next to the style. If you right-click over that style name you will have the option to Update the style. Doing so should update the other paragraphs using that style...unless possibly there are other style overrides and then you would need to be in those paragraphs and alt-click on the style to remove those overrides.

Mike

RGB

Post by RGB » 16 Jun 2018, 06:27

Thanks! That helps with the style. I guess that I was thinking of tabs in terms of setting up the whole document, as one does with margins/guides.

But the main issue that I'd like to try to solve is text's not centering around tabs when other tab-sites are in close proximity. Unless I can do that, I'll have to rethink my approach: setting up tabs in different places on a line-by-line basis is not feasible.

RGB

Post by RGB » 19 Jun 2018, 12:29

It seems like a stupid question, but how does one make page-break? I've been googling it and googling it. I tend to link boxes or use automatic text boxes, so my text flows over quite a few pages.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Jun 2018, 13:59

What is the saying? The only stupid question is the question that is never asked...or something like that.

If you have an extended keyboard--separate number pad--you can just hit its Enter key. On a keyboard that doesn't have a separate num pad, Shift+Enter. It is also located via the menu system, but as i never use it, I cannot remember and I'm not around a computer. It will be in one of the Insert Special sections.

Mike

RGB

Post by RGB » 19 Jun 2018, 16:33

MikeWenzloff wrote:If you have an extended keyboard--separate number pad--you can just hit its Enter key.
:o That works! I'm so grateful. :D Now I understand why the advice on some webpages was just to hit the enter key...

Shift+Enter produces a soft return on my system. I use that shortcut quite often.

MikeWenzloff

Post by MikeWenzloff » 19 Jun 2018, 21:45

Hah, still not at a computer to check...but I really should have known it wasn't shift+enter!

Glad the "other" enter key worked.

Mike

Return to “QuarkXPress 2016: General”